PDA

View Full Version : Lloyd, need recipe

44man
11-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I have one small deer shoulder left I want to cook smoke for supper.
Do you have good seasoning and cooking instructions?

Lloyd Smale
11-09-2012, 06:50 AM
Sorry pal but id dont smoke whole pieces of venison other then to make a ham and when i do that i use a prepackaged mix of salt and sugar and use a hind quarter. Im not a fan of smoked sholders or hind quarters. To me its kind of like blaw tasting jerky when its done and i like my jerky the old fashion way where its dry and you have to work at at it eat it. Not like a peice of flavored tenderloin. If it were my shoulder it would go in a slow cooker with some veggys. to be honest with you every sholder ive gotten in the last 5 years has been ground for burger or sausage meat.

44man
11-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Sorry pal but id dont smoke whole pieces of venison other then to make a ham and when i do that i use a prepackaged mix of salt and sugar and use a hind quarter. Im not a fan of smoked sholders or hind quarters. To me its kind of like blaw tasting jerky when its done and i like my jerky the old fashion way where its dry and you have to work at at it eat it. Not like a peice of flavored tenderloin. If it were my shoulder it would go in a slow cooker with some veggys. to be honest with you every sholder ive gotten in the last 5 years has been ground for burger or sausage meat.
OK, thanks. I will make BBQ with it. The shoulder does make a great roast too and I don't want to dry it out.
How often do you use the water pan with a smoker?

Moonie
11-09-2012, 11:42 AM
OK, thanks. I will make BBQ with it. The shoulder does make a great roast too and I don't want to dry it out.
How often do you use the water pan with a smoker?

I've never used my smoker without mine.

44man
11-09-2012, 12:46 PM
I've never used my smoker without mine.
Good, I will use it, maybe with beer!

Lloyd Smale
11-10-2012, 06:47 AM
i use mine for large pieces of meat like a pork roast, turkey and I use it for fish. I dont use it for sausage though. My favorite thing to use is apple juice.