PDA

View Full Version : Trimming 20ga Slugs?

Nix
11-08-2012, 12:35 PM
I've been casting my own slugs, buckshot and boolits for about three years but one problem I've never been able to resolve relates to Lyman cast 20ga slugs. I was hoping someone here may have some experience with it or a solution to share.

Specifically the issue I have is that the Lyman cast 20's, be they Foster or Sabot, are too long to allow for a nice, neat crimp in the 20ga 2 3/4" hulls I use. Now I know someone is going to say "Switch to 3" then" but that's not an option for me as they're extremely hard to come across in Ontario and, for the record, the load data I use is all for 2 3/4" shells anyways so there has got to be a way to do it!

Things I've tried so far include the obvious; trimming the petals off the wads, compressing the wads down with extra force, even compressing the slug down into the wad with extra force (and yes I am aware this is not a good idea).

My latest thought was that I could simply 'trim' some of the slug off from the base, not a lot, maybe 1/8" or something like that. It would change the load weight a bit but not enough to make a difference as far as safety goes. The problem is, I can't find a way to trim them.

I've tried just using a simple hacksaw (takes waaaaaay too long), I've tried doing it on my drill press by placing it in a piece of wood with a hole drilled halfway through it to hold it steady and then using a cutting bit (the slug starts spinning and a vice would crush it).

I was thinking about using a case trimmer but of course there's nothing on the market that I've seen that is designed to hold anything other than brass. I don't have access to a bandsaw or that would be a great solution I imagine. Same goes for a lathe...

Anyone out there found a way to do this?

timbuck
11-08-2012, 12:46 PM
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Original-Roll-Crimping-Tool-10ga/productinfo/ROLL20/

This MIGHT work?

Nix
11-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Ah thank you for reminding me; I also tried the Ballistic Products roll-crimpers and they didn't work worth a damn for me.

SuperBlazingSabots
11-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Hello Nix, I'm new to 20 ga and just got into 20 ga in the end of June when I got my Savage 220.
I do not have the Lyman 20 ga slug mold either.
You can look for different wads that the Lyman slug will fit right with a .125-28 ga nitro card below it in the wad.
I know your problem so once you have your wad selected, cut the cushioning off, take the wad cup only with a nitro card below slug.
Now you will need a OP wad, cut the OP part of the wad from the remains of the wad cushioning for that like in the picture
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Leeslugcopy.jpg
and if you still have space then call Circle Fly to order your .125-28 nitro cards and also order 1/4 nitro cards of 20 gauge and 3/8 inch felt wads to
make up the wads column so you have 7/16 inch hull left for 6 or 8 point fold crimp.

You need to choose your powder wisely, one that does not take up too much hull space
check this chart for that
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/NewFinalPowderHullspace.jpg
that chart was actually made for 12 ga but you can see which powders take up less hull space!
Choose straight walled hulls over tapered walled hulls for that little extra space you need to fold crimp!
Post pictures so we can see your components and your problems.

If you ask me the truth, too much cutting around, I don't like it!
This hobby is suppose to be fun!
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com