PDA

View Full Version : Making slug loads from shot loads

casper_zip
11-08-2012, 09:46 AM
I am a tinkerer, experminter, and just enjoying handloading in all it's aspects. How many of you dump new shot shells, and insert a round ball or a slug in it's place ?

I read on here a fellow in Peru, I believe, did just that. I have loaded up enough to do some test shooting today to see what I have accomplished. I took some new Winchester 12 guage #6 shotshells, saved my shot, naturally, and inserted a round ball about the same weight.

Could find no really good way to crimp them, so I used Elmer's glue to seal the ends up. Glue is dry this morning, and I'll test shoot some today. This is a fast, easy way, and if you start out with empty hulls, takes lots of fibers inside case to fill up the space after the gas seal over the powder charge.

Each shell takes about a minute, I would guess. I am using my garden shear tool to cut the tops off, drop the shot in a can to save, drop the round ball into the plastic sleeve. All there is to it, except close mouth with the glue. Makes a good looking round, too.

Let me hear from you all, would appreciate help/info from all.

Best,

casper_zip

1Shirt
11-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Keep us posted on your results!
1Shirt!

felix
11-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Yes, it is time for you to provide results to us in terms of power and accuracy. Your other thread is basically asking the same question and information was given there. ... felix

SuperBlazingSabots
11-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Hello Casper, before you go out and start shooting them, do yourself a favor in the name of your own and family safety take the wad out and put your intended slug or round ball in it and push it backwards with a wooden dowel to see if you can even push it through without hammering it through, just for your safety sake!
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Wadslugfitinbarrelcopy.jpg
what is the Round ball diameter and your gun ID measurements of your barrel?
Report back before you fire a single shot!
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
www.BlazingSabots.com
www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

Ole
11-08-2012, 09:45 PM
I have some old 12 gauge 1 1/8oz S&B field loads that I did this with.

Trimmed the crimp off, dumped the shot and pushed a 1oz Lee slug in place of the shot payload.

They actually worked reasonably well. It's a tight fit with that particular shell and I don't experience any problems with the slug and/or wad coming out of the shell.