PDA

View Full Version : purifying WW?

fisher2
11-08-2012, 02:07 AM
is there anyway i can flux to remove all the other stuff in WW and end up with pure soft lead?

evan price
11-08-2012, 07:49 AM
No.

The process of refining scrap lead of mixed alloy content to pure takes a lot of equipment and industrial processes that we home types can't even get close to. The impurities need to be removed in a specific order. In the end you will almost always have a percentage of antimonial lead that can't be reduced to pure any further.

Here's a quick overview of the process:

http://www.gravitagroup.com/Lead-Refining.asp

The impurities present in crude Lead are – S, Cu, N, As, Sb, Br, Ag, Au, etc. The refining process, as mentioned earlier, is done in several steps in kettles with the addition of specific reagents. Alternatively smaller quantities can be produced via electrolytic refining. If the smelting plant stops in the fusion reduction phase what we’ll get is hard or Antimonical Lead. If the plant is meant to produce soft lead, the crude Lead obviously needs to be refined. The basic objective of refining is to remove almost all traces of Copper (Cu), Antimony (Sb), Arsenic (As), and Tin (Sn) since, as per specifications, Soft Lead cannot have more than 10 gms per ton of these impurities.

Copper (Cu) is the first element to be removed along with Sulphur (S)in a two-phased procedure. At the first stage almost all of Copper is removed as Copper Sulphide (CuS) when elementary Sulphur is added at a temperature of 450°C. The next step is to remove the remaining residual Copper by adding small amounts of elementary Sulphur at 330°C until the reaction stops.Tin (Sn) is the next to be removed through oxidation by Chlorine or Ammonium Chloride (NH4Cl). The addition of Chlorine to the molten lead at 550°C produces Tin Chloride (SnCl2) which can be mechanically removed. Simultaneously small amounts of Antimony (Sb) and Arsenic (As) are also removed by oxidation.

Your best bet is to sell or trade your wheel weights for pure lead.

Brasso
11-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Why not just trade it on this forum for pure lead?

Sam

captaint
11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Now, there ya go !!! Mike

fredj338
11-08-2012, 06:48 PM
If you have honest clip ww alloy, I would be happy to do a 60# trade for pure lead, I have mor than I can use. Just make sure you get the zinc wts out before smelting.

evan price
11-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Just FYI, for those not doing the conversions, adding chlorine gas to lead at over (550 deg c) is how you reduce out the tin into stannous chloride. You need an oxygen free atmosphere and chlorine gas and that's about 1050 degrees F!

williamwaco
11-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Why not just trade it on this forum for pure lead?

Sam

This is the only way to go.
( unless you can find someone local and avoid the shipping )