PDA

View Full Version : One for the record books - stuck 280 Rem case

ohland
11-07-2012, 10:15 PM
I was prepping some new 280 Rem cases. Only thing left was to clean up the case mouths. A number of them had slight dents in the mouth, and that tends to make the chamfering chew up the mouth a bit.

I had just prepped 50 7mm-08 cases, applied a little case lube inside and out with a Q tip. Then I sized them to a little bit above the shoulder. Then finished chamfering. Neat and clean, wiped the case lube off after sizing. No issues...

I should have degreased the 280 Rem dies, because they were brand new. The manufacturer tells you to do so. Dow.... Anyways, once I ripped the rim off (the 280 Rem is a little loose in the RCBS #2 shell holder...), I took the die out and quit for the day. Never reload angry, or attempt to fix something that way...

Did the #7 drill, a 1/4-20 tap, some washers, and some sockets thing. Recommend those trying the socket thing to use thick washers, otherwise the screw/bolt head will dish the washer in... I had some thick ones, not a problem.

I used some Hornady lock rings with the flats, put two on the die so I had a flat surface to clamp to. Took a 90 degree plate, clamped it so it was on the V, then clamped the die into the vertical angle. Neat-o, daddy-o....

Did the Mark 1 Mod 0 eyeball alignment with the drill bit into the primer pocket, drilled, then assembled the stack. Took some moxie, but the case backed out smoothly.

Moral of the story - degrease all new reloading dies. Don't drink and drill.

PS. You know, Lyman and RCBS do not use the same shell holder numbering convention? Close enough is somewhat hazardous when you're dealing with brass rims...

:dung_hits_fan:

ohland
11-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Buzzed thru 49 280 Remington cases using the Hornady 7mm neck sizing die, a Lyman #2 shell holder, and Redding Imperial Dry Lube. Pick up case, stab down into ceramic media. run up, run down, wipe off graphite (I'm Martha Stewart in drag...), done. The New Dimension elliptical expander works pretty good. Whipped out the RCBS Precision Case Mic, and measured 5 cases from the bag. Headspace is about .003 short, which is just fine.

:popcorn: