PDA

View Full Version : If You Want A Forster Press Look Here!

newfoundlander
06-12-2007, 12:56 AM
D&R Sporting Goods (who I have NO connection with) has used Bonanza/Forster Coaxial Presses for sale on a certain well known international general auction sight [smilie=1: for......$40.00

After taking my share they had over two dozen left!!!!!

dromia
06-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Hows about a link newfie, I couldn't find it on e**y.

357maximum
06-12-2007, 02:35 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180129634074&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:us

Them will go quick at that price, I paid around $120 bucks for my last one in used condition,,,,better hurry:-D,

There are only 22 left NOW, i do not know whether or not parts are missing, but at that price one can buy a few parts from the factory.

newfoundlander
06-12-2007, 08:08 AM
[SIZE="3"It looks like 357Maximum and I just got in under the wire as DnR yanked the listing with 22 presses remaining. Surely somebody goofed on the price when writing the listing! I'm sure they will be relisting them but at a market adjusted price.[/SIZE]

Swagerman
06-12-2007, 08:16 AM
D&R is very strange outfit, I bought some things from them before that were more than half price...though it was tough getting it from them, took a lot of correspondence and harsh words after they had my money.

Let us know how you make out receiving your goods.

357maximum
06-12-2007, 12:26 PM
D&R is very strange outfit, I bought some things from them before that were more than half price...though it was tough getting it from them, took a lot of correspondence and harsh words after they had my money.

Let us know how you make out receiving your goods.

Well that do not sound too promising.

I bought one of them and then asked the seller if they were complete, I got a "I AM NOT SURE" response.

I replied back that my M.O for the item AS PICTURED is enroute, according to the pic, only the primer catcher assembly is missing. This one may have been a gamble, but we will see how it turns out...for 55 bucks shipped it was worth the risk. If it all works out well, my ol man can quit stealing mine for his 30 herret rounds, he really likes that press for these rounds, and I find it to serves me quite well for most everything. He uses my bonanza press for his herretts, and I use his dillon for my 357mags/38's, but he is moving alot further away as soon as their house is up so it looks like I may have to do some press shopping/horse trading with him, this forster will be the trading stock[smilie=1:

wiljen
06-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Now shows that the auction has ended. Either they didn't have 22 or they sold awful quick.

357maximum
06-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Now shows that the auction has ended. Either they didn't have 22 or they sold awful quick.
He told me this:
Apparently there was only one press[smilie=1: and someone screwed up on the listing[smilie=1: ,this is what my message box said anyway.

I told the fella via ebays messaging system my money order was already enroute as I shipped it first thing this morning, and that I wanted my press as pictured or a very full refund and that I think he is pulling something (he had "KINDLY"offered me one at "his cost" because he screwed up[smilie=1: ) I am not sure what this fella has going or what will come of my M.O, time will tell I spose....I do smell a shady rat in the woodpile, and do not hold much hope, proably just did my part to keep the economy moving .......time will tell...time will tell. Ebay...you gotta love it eh? inpires so much faith in our species in me from time to time.....aaaaaaarggg

If it is a simple mistake on his part, I suppose a refund will be forthcoming and rapid and with a biga$$ smile on his face.

357maximum
06-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I just read through 60 some pages of his feedback, wow He seems to have issues quite regularly, and it is really bad if you live outside the US. Good luck Newfie, I think we are going to have our handsfull here. You getting your press, and me getting my refund...may the force be with us.

newfoundlander
06-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Looks like I won't be gettng my press as they sent me an email stating" We can't ship this press to Canada". It's more like "we won't" as there's nothing stopping them from doing so legally. I sent two emails informing them of this, both of which were received, but I've yet to hear a reply. I did receive a refund but something here is fishy. I've kept all my communication as well as a screeen shot of the listing. I didn't lose any money on this and, let's face it, it was too good to be true but I don't like being lied to. A simple "We goofed" would have sufficed.

dromia
06-12-2007, 05:44 PM
With hindsight the gift horse proverb comes to mind.

Glad you got your dosh back Newfie.

Hope it works out for you too 357.

Good luck mate.

Swagerman
06-12-2007, 06:24 PM
D&R is still kind of flakey I see. If it sounds like too good a deal, then it must not be a real deal.

I'd watch out for them lads. They do a lot selling on the peebay, if you want to call that jive a$$ selling. [smilie=1:

Jim

357maximum
06-12-2007, 08:20 PM
I am inclined to believe this dooomazzz listed something he did not know the value of, and now he wants to back out.

I am glad to see newfie got his money back, hopefully I will be as fortunate.

I talked to some feller there on the phone....did not seem to have a clue...no one did.............sss ssssssss ssssscchitz schitzo was the impression I got...

I knew it was too good to be true also, but heck once in awhile one must gamble I spose[smilie=1:

Everytime I have left the reservation I was poorer than when I arrived there, not much difference here, except this will last longer, waiting for the outcome.....:roll:

dromia
06-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Any joy from the seller yet 357?

kywoodwrkr
06-16-2007, 09:11 PM
When I had my FFL D&R sent me a very large catalog on a regular basis.
They are/were a supply company like Grafs, Midway, etc etc only for dealers.
Just threw away an old catalog the other day as a matter of fact.
I bought some firearms from them as I remember as well.
I've also bought and received items on e-Bay, and as was stated, like at half price or below.
I had no problem with them.
357maximum, Since they won't ship to Canada and you were one of two bidders, I'd be inclined to exert 'maximum' pressure on them.
If you receive bad vibes from them, contact e-bay immediately.
Oh, and heres hoping you do receive the item!
DaveP kywoodwrkr

357maximum
06-19-2007, 10:27 PM
I in fact did recieve one very rusty/neglected and very impartial old model bonanza press, and seeing as how he replied "I am not sure" to my questions on the condition of the press and I still bid that is all on me. I have offered the press to Newfoundlander, in my eyes it is rightfully his, he has some options to sort through, but at least he has the advantage of an accurate description of the press.

I do know that this fellers bidniss skills and communication, could use some very serious improvements... I left positive feedback for him, but also spoke my mind a bit in the comments. He did afterall deliver exactly what he said it was, and I bid knowing it could be a mess, which it in fact is, but nothing 80 dollars in parts and a bunch of sandpaper and naval jelly won't fix I spose....

Newfoundlander, you really need to check your PM box, seriously.

Swagerman
06-20-2007, 10:30 AM
357Maximum, as I recall dealing with Mr. D&R, he was a tap dancing fool who didn't seem to know what was going on around him. He'd blame his help in the shipping department, he'd blame anyone but himself.

As to the Newfoundlander up north, I don't understand his connection with this D&R guy who waffles on his business ethics. How did he get into the equations.

However, if the Forster press in reasonably good mechanically shape, it can be cleaned up with a good sanding and polishing, then paint the sucker.

In the future avoid Mr. D&R, I don't think his biscuit is quite done...the lights are on but nobody is home.

Jim

357maximum
06-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Newfoundlander was the first bidder, and pointed the auction of (22) presses to the board. There was not 22 but only one press to be had DNR Dude was having a brain contusion of sorts when he listed the auction.

Newfoundlander decided it is best if I own the press, as it would be excess to his needs anyway, so I got a project on my hands, should be fun eh?

DNR DUDE WILL NEVER SEE A BID BY ME AGAIN, THAT I GUARANDAMWELLTEE. This seller is at least five lugnuts short of a tire change. He has no clue what the 4377 is going on around him and is lost in his own space and time continuum.

It will turn out ok, and the first handload from this press will ease my mind.......If it looks to good to be true....it normally is. Lesson learned....again, and again:roll:

EDIT.....CHECK THIS OUT, POPPED INTO MY EBAY TO SEE IF THIS NUMBNUT HAD LEFT FEEDBACK FOR ME HE HAD NOT, BUT LOOKY THIS........LINK:

http://myworld.ebay.com/*dnrsports*

Slowpoke
06-20-2007, 09:41 PM
In 2005 I bought three new DC Lyman moulds from D&R sports off of their web page a 225415,357433,358480 for $25 ea..

No problems.

good luck

357maximum
06-25-2007, 01:41 PM
THE REST OF THE STORY

$40 dollar press
+
$15 for shipping
+
$91 to forster for parts/+shipping
+
whole lot of crocus cloth/sweat/steel wool/oil
+
some red krinkle paint

-----------------
= I have a darn fine lookin and usable precision press for about $150 or so. Not great, not bad either I guess.

BABore
06-25-2007, 01:58 PM
What's "Krinkle Paint"?[smilie=1:

357maximum
06-25-2007, 02:26 PM
What's "Krinkle Paint"?[smilie=1:

:mrgreen: BITE ME:drinks:

Krinkle paint is what the rest of the civilized world calls textured spray paint.

R.M.
06-25-2007, 02:46 PM
I've heard it called "Hammer-Tone" also.

No_1
06-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Can we see pictures please?

I know it sounds kinda perverted but I sure like the look of things that have been refurbished because I enjoy making things and also enjoy rebuilding things that others think are way beyond being used again.

Robert

THE REST OF THE STORY

$40 dollar press
+
$15 for shipping
+
$91 to forster for parts/+shipping
+
whole lot of crocus cloth/sweat/steel wool/oil
+
some red krinkle paint

-----------------
= I have a darn fine lookin and usable precision press for about $150 or so. Not great, not bad either I guess.

dromia
06-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Congratulations 357, I do like happy endings. :drinks:

Swagerman
06-25-2007, 08:47 PM
What, no pictures??? :confused:

357maximum
06-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Patience, I am working on it

floodgate
06-25-2007, 09:04 PM
R. M.:

"Hammer tone" and "Krinkle" are different; the former looks like someone had tapped the piece all over with the round end of a ball-peen hammer while the paint was still damp, but is relatively smooth; the little old "green meanie" Unimat lathes used this, and to refresh them you bought a can of "Hammerschlagslack". The "krinkle" finish (used on older RCBS, Herters, etc., tools) ends up wrinkly and rough, and is a great dust-catcher, but covers up rust pits very nicely.

floodgate

357maximum
06-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Forster got me the rest of my parts, so here you go:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/coax1.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/coax2.jpg

Loaded some 35remmies with it just to test drive it...she's as nice as they come and she is complete with the B2 priming system upgrade that I'll seldom use, but she's complete, and all redressed now. Still need to paint the handle shaft black, and finish my homemade short throw handle yet, but complete she be.

I know someone is going to ask how I got that finish, well it was a challenge to be frank. I did not like the textured paint I started with at all so stripped it then I punted a bit. I ended up putting 4 coats of cheap...really cheap ...really really cheap red enamel from the dollar store in 4 successive heavy coats about 15 minutes apart. I then put 2 rather heavy coats of satin clear laquer on it to raise the grain...it ended up looking pretty close to original, but if you look close there are a few smoother areas that just did not take as well. This coating method takes forever to dry in michigans humidity,you have been warned............. it could still be scrathed off if you wanted it bad enough. It is getting tougher everyday though.

dromia
06-29-2007, 01:50 AM
Nice, very nice.

Congratulations .357 I love my Co-Ax too. Mine cost a bit more than yours though.

Swagerman
06-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the pictures, 357. Nice work on the restoration too...looks pretty classy. :-D

Jim

357maximum
06-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys:drinks: , it was a fun project...just wish I would have taken a few before shots......I seem to never think of the before until the after.