PDA

View Full Version : Henry Big Boy question

TMenezes
11-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi guys, I have been really wanting a lever action rifle for a long time now. I am looking at the Henry Big Boy, probably in 45 Colt, but possibly the 44 mag. I love how smooth the action is and already love shooting the 45 Colt in my Ruger Bisley revolvers. Now I will probably shoot light to medium loads with 200 and 250gr bullets for the most part. But I would like to shoot my 300 gr gc cast bullets occasionally. So here's the question, will the 1 in 38 rifling stabilize the 300gr bullet? I have been told with a 1 in 38 twist barrel the max weight for 44 mag is about 270gr. I am hoping the 45 colt being a bit bigger in diameter will shoot my 300gr loads with reasonable accuracy. I am not looking for match grade accuracy, just reasonable accuracy using the open sights.

I considered getting a Marlin at first but I have heard bad things about the quality of Marlin since all their employees were fired and Remington took them over their manufacturing. Frankly when I work the lever of a new Marlin I just don't like the way it feels. I know there are gunsmiths out there that will smooth out the action but I don't know if anyone locally will do that and if they did I am thinking it wouldn't be cheap. Also I don't really feel like sending it out, I like to keep my guns local. I will pay for this service if I have to, but I would just assume not if at all possible.

So I am asking you all with more knowledge and experiance than me, what should I do? Shall I go with Henry and their 1 in 38 twist or go with Marlin and expect to pay a gunsmith to smooth it out for me. Also I noticed Rossi has some very nice looking rifles and they even offer the cool looking case hardened finish. Any input at all would be apprieciated, Thanks =)

Shuz
11-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I have a Marlin 1894 .44 mag mf'd in 2006 with Ballard rifling and it has a 1:38" twist. My understanding is that all the Marlins in .44 mag are 1:38" twist.

.45Cole
11-07-2012, 11:53 PM
TMenezes-I have a 1894 .45 with a 24" ballard rifled bbl. It had the checkered stocks. I think it is some sort of semi special run, and it was a cb45 I believe. Anyways, definitely go with a pre Remmy Marlin. They are more expensive and less of finished product, but
1. it will increase in value b/c marlin is out of business (look at winchester)
2.many gunsmiths do packages for marlins (b/c the triggers and action are rough)
3.Henry's are heavy
After it's all said and done, you will probably have $300-$400 more in the marlin, but it will be more of a custom (and $400 over say 20yrs is only $20 per year[in today's money:sad:])

starmac
11-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Marlin is out of business?????? since when?

If you get the chance to, look the marlin over. From what I have read they are not hard to slick up yourself. The only ones I have owned were always used and slick enough by the time I got them.

Mooseman
11-08-2012, 01:51 AM
Marlin is now owned and made by Remington...I call them Remlins !!!

starmac
11-08-2012, 03:09 AM
LOL I know, but they are still in business, just working out some hiccups. Hopefully they will be able to stay in business.

tomingreeneco
11-09-2012, 12:57 AM
Have you looked at any of the Uberti repro lever guns? Very nice but a little pricey.

TMenezes
11-17-2012, 07:02 PM
Have you looked at any of the Uberti repro lever guns? Very nice but a little pricey.

I have heard of them but have not handled any. How a gun feels is really important to me. I don't want to order a gun unless I can handle one first.

Thanks for all the input guys, still not sure which one I am going to go with. I really want to check out a Marlon after a gunsmith has worked it over. The new one at the sporting goods store just did n't feel good to me at all.

The local gunsmith has 2 used 45 Colt rifles, a Henry and a Winchester. Now I have used my uncles old Winchester 30/30 and loved the feel of it. But this much newer model felt all loose and rattled.

The Henry felt really good, but not jazzed about the lack of a loading gate on the receiver. So still looking...

RobS
11-17-2012, 07:15 PM
The Henry is a nice rifle. If you are looking at shooting long nosed boolits you will likely run into problems having them cycle. In a 44 mag about the longest nose that will reliably cycle is .320. So if you are wanting to double up with a Ruger revolver this could be an issue.

jmort
11-17-2012, 07:35 PM
The Italian 73s are the best cycling and are used in SASS but the 73 action will only take standard pressure SAAMI spec so for .45 Colt it is a poor match for a Ruger Blackhawk and closer to the new Vaqueros in strength but a perfect compliment to the SAA clones. The Rossi 92s are good choices especially with Steve's Gunz tune-up.

MBTcustom
11-17-2012, 07:37 PM
I have heard of them but have not handled any. How a gun feels is really important to me. I don't want to order a gun unless I can handle one first.

I handled a Pedersoli levergun last weekend. It was by far the sweetest running levergun I have felt other than a 195? marlin in 35 Remington that stays in my safe (and it is very possible that a gunsmith worked that one over)
It was also well fitted and finished and it came ot point like it was made for me. The sights were fantastic, and were made to be used.
In fact, it was so sweet that I was almost tempted to take out a small loan so that I could afford the $1600 price tag. :shock:
Oh well, all things come to he who waits.

TMenezes
11-17-2012, 08:00 PM
I handled a Pedersoli levergun last weekend. It was by far the sweetest running levergun I have felt other than a 195? marlin in 35 Remington that stays in my safe (and it is very possible that a gunsmith worked that one over)
It was also well fitted and finished and it came ot point like it was made for me. The sights were fantastic, and were made to be used.
In fact, it was so sweet that I was almost tempted to take out a small loan so that I could afford the $1600 price tag. :shock:
Oh well, all things come to he who waits.

Wow, yea thats just a little, OK, a LOT out of my price range lol

starmac
11-17-2012, 10:43 PM
For that price, I can still find a couple of savages, but probably only one in a caliber I would really like. lol