PDA

View Full Version : Henry Big Boy question

TMenezes
11-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Hi guys, I have been really wanting a lever action rifle for a long time now. I am looking at the Henry Big Boy, probably in 45 Colt, but possibly the 44 mag. I love how smooth the action is and already love shooting the 45 Colt in my Ruger Bisley revolvers. Now I will probably shoot light to medium loads with 200 and 250gr bullets for the most part. But I would like to shoot my 300 gr gc cast bullets occasionally. So here's the question, will the 1 in 38 rifling stabilize the 300gr bullet? I have been told with a 1 in 38 twist barrel the max weight for 44 mag is about 270gr. I am hoping the 45 colt being a bit bigger in diameter will shoot my 300gr loads with reasonable accuracy. I am not looking for match grade accuracy, just reasonable accuracy using the open sights.

I considered getting a Marlin at first but I have heard bad things about the quality of Marlin since all their employees were fired and Remington took them over their manufacturing. Frankly when I work the lever of a new Marlin I just don't like the way it feels. I know there are gunsmiths out there that will smooth out the action but I don't know if anyone locally will do that and if they did I am thinking it wouldn't be cheap. Also I don't really feel like sending it out, I like to keep my guns local. I will pay for this service if I have to, but I would just assume not if at all possible.

So I am asking you all with more knowledge and experiance than me, what should I do? Shall I go with Henry and their 1 in 38 twist or go with Marlin and expect to pay a gunsmith to smooth it out for me. Also I noticed Rossi has some very nice looking rifles and they even offer the cool looking case hardened finish. Any input at all would be apprieciated, Thanks =)