PDA

View Full Version : T/C T17 lube

oldred
11-07-2012, 02:24 PM
I was at Wally-World today and came across a "damaged packaging" clearance rack that had a few shooting related items, some odd&end lead balls, a few sabots and some tubes of T/C T17 lube that is supposed to be for blackpowder and BP subs. This stuff was marked down from $8.97 to $2.00 a tube so I bought the three tubes that were left, my question is have any of you used this as a bullet lube for BP cartridges? I have been using some very old T/C lube that is different than this stuff but just ran out of that a few days ago, while I know I will use this new lube (the T17) for T/C Maxi-balls in my Hawkin muzzleloader I was just wondering about also using it for cartridge loads, in this instance it will be for Lee 500 grain cast in a 45/90.

cajun shooter
11-09-2012, 09:42 AM
I don't have any time with that paticular T/C lube, but you might have better luck with it by mixing in some type of hardner. The tube type lubes are very soft and may not give you what you are seeking. They are used for patch lube work most of the time.
I would add some beeswax, carnuba flakes (Randy Rat for both). Try filling the grooves on one bullet and see how it works.
Look on T/C site and see what it is intended for.

oldred
11-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I guess I left out part of what I meant to ask and that was about adding something like Beeswax to make it a bit harder, I thought it could stand to be harder even for the T/C Maxi-balls in my Muzzleloader. Since I posted this a couple of days ago I looked at a couple of the Lee 500 grainers I had lubed and the lube had hardened a significant amount from the sticky mess that went on it. Probably no real advantage to using this kind of lube it's just that I got this bunch of it and I doubt I would use that much in the muzzleloader since I rarely shoot the thing, mostly what I was thinking is that if this lube does work it might be a good choice for long term storage of loaded BP rounds.