PDA

View Full Version : Colt DS Mismatch

fourarmed
11-07-2012, 01:44 PM
I was cleaning my 3rd model (shrouded ejector) dick special, and decided to check throat and barrel dimensions. The cylinder mouths would all take a 0.359" pin gauge. The bore slugged just over 0.354". Anybody care to speculate on the best boolit for such an arrangement?

smkummer
11-07-2012, 04:02 PM
All my Colt 38 revolvers (way too many to count) shoot .358 sized cast bullets fine. If you only had a .357 sizer, it would also probably work well as its been my observance that the Colt bores ran tight. I hit a 16" metal plate at 100 yards with my 1971 DS shooting double action. I did this on the first shot and never tried it again with an audience.

9.3X62AL
11-07-2012, 06:51 PM
A shoulderless design like Lyman #358311 or a round flatnose might do better than a square-shouldered SWC or Keith type boolit, but that's probably more an individual trait of a given revolver than a general rule. I don't think you gain anything by reducing boolit diameter under throat specs.

MtGun44
11-08-2012, 01:24 AM
I was guessing along the same lines as Al, probably a RN big enough to
not get cocked too much in those throats, like .358. Remember, the forcing
cone in the bbl will let even a square .359 diam make it nicely into the tighter
bbl.

Gonna have to try, but that is where I'd start. I would not be surprised if
a .359 Keith or 358477 did well, either.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
11-08-2012, 07:18 AM
some may argue with me but heres my take on it. Ive owned a few detectives and none were all that accurate to begin with using handloads or factory ammo. To me they were a short range defense gun and i didnt worry about how well they grouped. If they hit where i was pointing at 10 yards i was happy. As to bullets id just load what I figured would perform best when it hit the target and not worry to much about what shot the smallest groups. Factoring in that the detectives really arent plus p rated mine were usually loaded with full wad cutters.

Silver Jack Hammer
11-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Very encouraging story especially as I have just received my 358421 mold and .358 sizer die. Was planning on casting today for the .357 for the first time a Linotype mix. My son has a brace of .357 flat top 3-screws that have to date only digested cowboy boolits and I'm going to see how they do at some distance with some Keith boolits.

fourarmed
11-08-2012, 02:59 PM
I have been using this revolver to shoot the "bordello" event at silhouette matches. It is hideout guns fired on the field pistol targets. I have been using hollow-base wadcutters, which do OK at 25 and 50 yards, but require a lot of luck to hit much at 75 and 100. If I could cut the group size in half, it would be a big help.

KCSO
11-08-2012, 03:38 PM
With the right loads and the right holds a 38 snubbie can be very accurate. I ad the best luck in my D/S with 358 diameter rn lead cast from wheel weights and pushed by 2.8 of Bullseye.

1bluehorse
11-08-2012, 04:11 PM
With the right loads and the right holds a 38 snubbie can be very accurate. I ad the best luck in my D/S with 358 diameter rn lead cast from wheel weights and pushed by 2.8 of Bullseye.

Bob Munden proved to me that a snubbie can be VEERRY accurate. But he's shown the ability to do that with varying types and caliber of handguns, of which I am totally incapable of repeating...

9.3X62AL
11-08-2012, 11:46 PM
The late-series DetSpecs (1971-forward, with ejector rod shroud) are rated for +P ammo, NOT +P+ or Super Vel though.

rintinglen
11-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I have had very good luck with my Detective Specials. I have one new model now and one Cobra. If you think they can't shoot, you are wrong. I shot a 595\600 with my DS on a qualification course a few years back--the only guy to beat me shot a 6" Python. I have put 6 out 6 on a Colt Silhouhette target at 100 yards with one. They are the creme de la creme of snubbies in my book.
Mine does very well with a .358 WC, or a 358-311 sized .358.

Tracy
11-11-2012, 02:43 AM
What do you D-frame owners think about the durability of these revolvers? Not in terms of shooting hot loads, but in terms of shooting a lot single action and double action with standard velocity loads?

I have a nice, tight Police Positive Special that was made in 1924 and I shoot wadcutters over 3.0 Bullseye and Lee 158 RFP over 3.4 Red Dot. I have heard that these revolvers are not very durable when it comes to shooting thousands of rounds, especially double action.

Lloyd Smale
11-11-2012, 07:29 AM
Ive shot two of them loose and had to send them back to colt to be repaired. Newer ones may be plus p rated but beleive me when i say this. they will not blow up with plus p ammo but they WILL shoot loose in very short order. Im sure when colt says there plus p rated they factor in the fact that most people arent going out and plinking with them. Load them up with plus p for protection and your fine but surely dont go out and roll beer cans with plus p ammo in one or its going to make a trip back to colt.