PDA

View Full Version : master caster bullet release

Doggaroon
11-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Ok i got a master caster with 200 gr 45 rn and swc. Been enjoying getting back into casting after 15 yr layoff. I like the ease of this over hand casting but the spruecutter doesn't open quite enough to release the top bullet the majority of the time. Tried to move the opening pin more to the right but the pin is a bit too long and will hit the cutter plate.
Question is what do you guys do, or do you not have this problem.
And i did make this an air assist also, thanks for the idea and parts layout...

runfiverun
11-07-2012, 01:09 PM
on a couple of my molds i just marked the sprue plate where it was blocking the base of the boolit.
then i just ground out that spot and rounded over the edges.

Doggaroon
11-10-2012, 12:30 PM
didn't think of that, kind of scares me to touch it with a grinder...
Put in for the Mark X, will see how it releases. should be better turning upside down.

HATCH
11-10-2012, 12:47 PM
That's exactly what they told me at Magma.

I tried to explain to them for $1200 i shouldn't have to grind anything to make it a reliable machine.

But i did just that on my 41 mag mold and life is good.
Mine is automated and can do 2 boolits every 10.5 seconds!!

sent from my mobile.

runfiverun
11-10-2012, 01:58 PM
it's a 10.00 sprue plate.

HATCH
11-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Yep. Took me two mins with the bench grinder. But again why?!

sent from my mobile.

Tumble Bug
11-11-2012, 06:55 PM
OK….. I think I can answer the “Why” part.

On Magma’s fully automated machines (the high dollar electrically driven machines the sprue plates open much wider, thus, allowing for the bullets to drop out without interference from the sprue plate.
Master caster machines don’t open the sprue plate quite as much, thus, the interference. To remedy the situation Magma makes sprue plates with the notch cut out in them to provide the necessary clearance. The notch is not always necessary on smaller calibers. But on the 45’s it usually is.
In my particular case I purchased several molds all at the same time. I soon experienced the little “clearance issue” that you spoke of. Magma informed me that modified sprue plates were indeed available. They offered to provide me with what I needed if I’d return the old ones. I asked them to supply only one so that I could see how they’d modified it. With the new sprue plate in hand, I used a rat tail file to reproduce the “factory notch” in all of my old ones. Worked “perfect”! It was easier for me to make my on modifications than it was to box um’ up and ship um’ back to them. I was no big deal! Really!
So the lesson to be learned here is that when you order new molds from Magma, specify that you require sprue plates with the Master Caster notch already made in it.