PDA

View Full Version : Advise on 98K

oldarkie
11-07-2012, 10:42 AM
The problem I'm having is the last shell in the magazine. It does not get caught by the extractor claw, instead goes in the chamber and the bolt won't close. I have another mauser that has been sporterized and you can drop a round in the chamber and the bolt will close and extract it. The bolts hook the same. Is there a way to make this rifle work this way. Would save alot of aggravation. Thanks for your help....Old Arkie

Moonie
11-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I have read about reconturing the hook, personally I wouldn't and would leave it as is and never push feed a round.

For the issue with the last round, I'd replace the magazine spring.

oldarkie
11-08-2012, 09:32 AM
thanks moonie for the advise. that never crossed my mind , i will try to find a new spring after deer season,it starts hear in sw mo saturday.

KCSO
11-08-2012, 10:35 AM
I concur try a new stiffer spring first, or for a temporary fix strech the spring. Once a spring is streched it will never hold it's shap again but will last for a little whille.

leftiye
11-09-2012, 05:44 AM
Polishing the front of the extractor (as long as you don't remove a lot of metal - just shape it to slide out under pressure) won't do any harm. Don't weaken the edge that grips the case rim. Extractor can be bent a little to reduce force of grip. Obviously this has a point of being too much, maybe allowing extractor to drop ctgs, so don't overdo it.

oldarkie
12-13-2012, 09:34 AM
thanks for the advice fellas,i got a new spring yesterday,it works great ,problem solved thanks agin. oldarkie