PDA

View Full Version : New Here and new to casting

Sprintcardriver
06-11-2007, 10:24 PM
And I am trying to take in all the information available, but there is only some much time in the day and they actually want me to work during the day.

I have a couple of books coming and no equipment at this time, but I have a source of bullet lead. It it mixed in with sand/rocks and whatever. I am slowly cleaning and separating it.

Should I melt this down into ingots or just leave it until I am read to actually cast? I can set up a temporary pot with a torch for a heating source.

Thanks

Don "Ho"

medic44
06-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Get the worst of the sand out of it. Then smelt it down. It will take less space to store it and you will learn some about casting in the process. The best thing that I've found for smelting is a cheap turkey frier form Wally mart and a 6-10 qt dutch oven from Harbor Freight.

DLCTEX
06-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Welcome to the board from the Eastern Texas Panhandle. I would suggest that you melt the lead down. flux, and put it into ingots ready for casting. You don't want to be trying to clean the lead in the pot you are casting from, especially a bottom pour pot. Dale

9.3X62AL
06-12-2007, 12:41 AM
SCD--

Welcome aboard, and I agree with Dale's take on the matter--smelt and clean out the impurities before trying to cast with the resulting metal.

What calibers and guns are you trying to service with your boolits-to-come?

jdhenry
06-12-2007, 03:07 AM
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!! Now Enjoy the ride....:) It's a blast casting your own Boolits....

Leftoverdj
06-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Ingots for several reasons:

1. If it's all that trashy, you'll still be getting a little junk out on the second melt.
2. Cleanup cuts into casting time. Get it over with in one big batch.
3. That one big batch makes your alloy uniform. You can add ingots as needed without changing your alloy in the way adding miscellaneous scrap can.

Sprintcardriver
06-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I am looking for equipment now and l am anxious to get started.

Shiloh
06-12-2007, 04:07 PM
I am looking for equipment now and l am anxious to get started.

You're already hooked. There is no hope or turning back for you :lol:

Shiloh :castmine:

dromia
06-12-2007, 04:55 PM
You'll end up like the rest of us, shooting to cast.

Welcome aboard. :-D

Beerd
06-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Sprintcardriver,

You poor mope. Save yourself while there is still time! Bail out! :-)

It sounds like you are using scrap range lead. Smelting it a time or two to get rid of the dirt, gas checks, jackets and other junk is the way to go. Been there, still doing that on occasion.
If you have trouble melting with that torch try a Coleman stove.
A dollar at the Good Will Store will get you a ladle and a muffin tin for an ingot mould.
There are lots of tips for casting on the cheap here.

Have fun, and welcome aboard!

wiljen
06-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Skip the torch and pot and see if you can find a turkey fryer on sale. If you keep an eye out you can find em for $25 and they are about perfect for smelting.

Sprintcardriver
06-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Cant search the area until the weekend, but till then, I am cleaning this stuff that I have.

And from what I am reading this should be done outdoors? What about the actual casting?

And let me throw another wrench into the works, if the casting can be done indoors, can it be done in the same shop that I reload. What are the major concerns if you do that? (Besides the obvious):-D

Thanks again for the help

Don "Ho"

wills
06-12-2007, 11:05 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6774

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6520

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6203

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6108

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6059

PPpastordon
06-13-2007, 07:09 AM
wills;
You speak so ...
Your words are so ...
Maybe if ...
Duh; thanks for the fine reference material! Good job.

wiljen
06-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Electric or Gas turkey fryer?

Propane.

Sprintcardriver
06-13-2007, 04:18 PM
I am heading out to find equipment. Just might try to write up and take pictures of my mis-adventures.

Thanks Wills for the links. I will take the subtle hint (:killingpc ) and try the search. Was late last night .LOL.. I spent the majority of the day reading that..

Problem is after reading all that, I need to calm down or my bank account will get closed real fast...

Soon.. Soon..

Don "ho"

nelsonted1
06-14-2007, 12:25 AM
THe problem in doing the original smelting indoors is the SMOKE! It's an awful job cause of the SMOKE. It SMOKES when smelting.

I was smelting at home in MN last summer using an old propane tank with wood underneath. The wood was smoking, of course, and so was the pot. I was standing on the other side. A friend of ours drove in. He saw me through the smoke and decided I was making meth in my parents front yard. I was a little concerned at his tentative behavior until he looked in the pot and then he was so relieved I had to laugh out loud.

TED