PDA

View Full Version : lee furnace 4#

fisher2
11-07-2012, 04:18 AM
so i got my first little smelter its only 4# and i casted my first little 3# ingot out of a tin can, but the tin can just happens to create a pretty tight fit does anyone know how i can make a mold to fit in the pot that i can just put the lead in the mold and melt it in as its a ladle style i dont want to ladle in every single mold as it would take forever to make an ingot and it would have lines where the lead cooled faster so i was thinking i could take a tin can with a slightly smaller base (2" instead of 3") and use pliers to switch out cans and keep putting lead in but idk if that would work. i cant do too much testing as im busy so any real casting will be after christmas due to work. so any ideas on how i can make ingots easily with my setup?

slim1836
11-07-2012, 08:28 AM
It sounds like you are smelting in your pot which is a no-no. Use your pot for casting only and smelt your wheel weights elsewhere.

Slim

Sasquatch-1
11-07-2012, 09:04 AM
You can use the cheap dollar store muffin pans. I think the 4 lber will be mighty small if you plan on making a lot of bullets. I can get about 175 or so out of my ten pound pot before I have to add lead. These are 240 grn slugs and about 25 grns of waste per bullet.

fisher2
11-07-2012, 11:22 AM
It sounds like you are smelting in your pot which is a no-no. Use your pot for casting only and smelt your wheel weights elsewhere.

Slim

im not smelting in my pot just looking for a way to cast some small lead ingots for storage

Le Loup Solitaire
11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
There are two ways to go and neither is expensive. First cut the bottom of a pop or beverage can off about an inch from the bottom. the material is aluminum and can be cut easily; lead will never stick to it. Pour your lead into it and when its cold just peel the stuff off the ingot. Second is just to go to Walmart and in the kitchen section they sell a set of 4 condiment cups for around 90 cents. They are mad of stainless steel and lead won't stick to it. you can fill them to whatever depth you want and turn them over with a pair of pliers. No fuss, no mess and last forever. LLS

fisher2
11-08-2012, 01:25 AM
how much does one of those condiment cups weigh when filled with lead?

Sasquatch-1
11-08-2012, 08:50 AM
how much does one of those condiment cups weigh when filled with lead?

The ones I got from Sam's club come in between 1.00 and 1.25 pounds.

gmsharps
11-08-2012, 09:09 AM
I think I would try to cast small ingots around 4 to 6 oz due to the fact the 4lb pot will cool down to quick with a 1 lb ingot. If you have one of the condiment molds then just do not fill it up. When you get hooked on casting and can afford to get a larger pot then use the 1lb ingots. Just my thoughts.

gmsharps

imashooter2
11-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Mini muffin pans or the center two ingots from a Lee ingot mold should be perfect for your needs.

fisher2
11-08-2012, 07:15 PM
hey squatch, picked up those condiment cups, they work amazingly i just melted the little bit i had laying around and came up with 2 chunks that i got out of range lead i picked up today

Sasquatch-1
11-09-2012, 08:50 AM
hey squatch, picked up those condiment cups, they work amazingly i just melted the little bit i had laying around and came up with 2 chunks that i got out of range lead i picked up today

Glad to hear it. There is a member here who mounted the cups on a steel strap to make them easier to handle. Can't remember the thread but maybe someone will stear you to it.

Fishman
11-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Keep in mind that you may be able to CAREFULLY pour lead from your pot directly into an ingot mould. I wouldn't do this with a full pot and I would practice with something other than hot lead first. Did I mention being careful?

The 4 lb lee is a good pot just small.

fisher2
11-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Keep in mind that you may be able to CAREFULLY pour lead from your pot directly into an ingot mould. I wouldn't do this with a full pot and I would practice with something other than hot lead first. Did I mention being careful?

The 4 lb lee is a good pot just small.

thats what i've been doing when i have about 3# of lead in it, it comes out in a nice little stream thats easy to control