PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

Ball Coach
11-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I have become the owner of a MEC reloader. I would like to learn to reload my own shot shells for duck hunting. Any resources or advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated. I will be loading 3 inch shells. Thanks.

turmech
11-06-2012, 09:29 PM
It is really had to justify loading non toxic shot used for waterfowl hunting strictly by monetary stand point. Many do it as it is not always just about the money many find satisfaction in loading there own shell no matter the cost compared to doing so. And hand loaded shot shell can outperform probably all but the most expensive high end factory loaded shells.

The above money reason will prevent me from giving any first hand knowledge. I have however looked at doing it several times, so here goes some of my understandings. 3” shell are pretty much required due to the added capacity needed to hold enough steel shot. Bismuth, heavy shot and the like are too pricey for me to even consider reloading it. You will need special charge bars and wads for steel shot. Most load data even calls for special powders.

Lymans shot shell manual has Chapters just for steel, Bismuth and heavy shot. That manual should get you plenty of information to at least get you started.

Ball Coach
11-06-2012, 09:44 PM
I would really enjoy loading my own shells. While money is always a factor, my gun of choice operates much better when I am shooting the more expensive steel anyway. Based on my limited research, it looks like it is going to be a push. Thank you for the help. I am looking forward to giving this a try.

Bullet Caster
11-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Ball Coach, welcome to the best forum on the whole danged internet. I, too, will soon venture into the shotshell reloading. My dad has a shotshell loader and next time I go to GA, I plan on bringing it home to reload some shotshells for him. I don't even own a shotgun but want to try my hand at this newly discovered task.

Good luck with your adventure. I think it helps to already know the ins and outs of metalic cartridge reloading. This will serve as my basis for the new task of reloading shotshells. I guess I'm gonna have to spend some time in the subtopic forum of shotshell reloading. BC

r1kk1
11-07-2012, 09:50 AM
http://www.precisionreloading.com/

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

Lyman, RCBS, Ballistic Products all have reloading manuals. If you want to hunt duck give ballistic products a holler as they have component kits using steel or nontoxic shot. Ballistic products tests their choice of components in the lab and field. Bismuth you can hardly find anymore. It was very brittle when I loaded it. ITX and I get along so far and I don't care for steel. Precision Reloading uses Nice Shot and have a reloading manual for it.

My hunting loads for nontoxic are time consuming to load but worth it in the end. My bird, my load.

Take care

r1kk1

jcw1970
11-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading. My first question would be what kind of MEC do you have? Is it setup for 3"? Just asking because some older ones need a conversion kit to do 3" shells.

220swiftfn
11-07-2012, 11:38 PM
One other thing to keep in mind, use the data verbatim, to the letter!!!! No substitution, no changes whatsoever..... Shotshell is different that way.

Dan