PDA

View Full Version : organize

white eagle
11-06-2012, 06:19 PM
How do you all keep your molds organized?
I have a steel cabinet and just put them in there,however there is no rhyme or reason for any of them :popcorn:
just wondering how you all do it so I could copy a good idea:shock:

runfiverun
11-06-2012, 07:28 PM
your cabinet is better than my leave e'm on the bench, on top of the pot for next time,or stick them in a drawer method.
i seen a neat deal where there was a long magnet strip on the wall and the molds were just stuck to it.

41 mag fan
11-06-2012, 07:41 PM
One of those racks with drawers from Menards. I don't have alot of handles, so i take the handles off when done and put them in the drawers which are labeled.

MT Gianni
11-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Old student desk with three drawers. 22-30cal go in the top drawer 35 inthe middle, and bigger on the bottom. All the lee's get the short name written on the handles with permanant markers. Those not used as often get taped with painters tape to hold the halves together and the number written on the side. I would miss some if I counted but this holds between 40-50 molds with 20 + handles.

MT Gianni
11-06-2012, 07:59 PM
While I remember it handles that have been redrilled get labelled as well. Someone gave me the storage idea for H&I dies inside a plastic 12 gauge case. Store those smallest to largest.

HARRYMPOPE
11-07-2012, 12:32 AM
In a pile on the bench and various places in the shop is where my molds live.heck sometimes i have bought molds to discover i already had one over in a corner.

George

Catshooter
11-07-2012, 01:07 AM
Most of mine are in 30 cal ammo cans. Single, doubles, fours, round ball & HP & misc.

Cat

Buckshot
11-07-2012, 01:18 AM
.............I have a steel 3 door locking wall cabinet with adjustable shelves I got from Harbor Freight, http://www.harborfreight.com/hanging-tool-cabinet-39213.html

I put moulds in it from smallest (22 cal) starting on the left end, to the largest on the right. The moulds in this cabinet are all Lyman, RCBS, NEI, Saeco, ie: removable blocks. My lee 6 cavity and 1-2 cavity moulds (due to the long box size) are similarly stored (from smallest to largest boolit size) are in a different cabinet that happens to be 16" deep.

All my iron & steel mould blocks are kept in their original boxes. After use, once cool they're externally wiped down with a silicone impregnated cloth and placed into a ziploc type plastic bag with a VPI chip. Once a year at New Year, I inspect all my moulds and reloading dies. ALL the VPI chips in the mould bags and in all my die boxes are replaced at that time. I do live in a low humidity environment (So.Calif) so that helps. I have no problem with rust, and I have no problem at all in laying my hands on the mould, or mould blocks I'm looking to use.

............Buckshot

smoked turkey
11-07-2012, 01:46 AM
If you figure the dollar cost in a good selection of mold blocks as I imagine most of us have it would amount to a large investment. For that reason I have devoted a shelf in my safe to their storage. Having a golden rod in the safe also helps with keeping them rust free. (knock on wood).

cbrick
11-07-2012, 01:41 PM
I did a thread on this back in May of 2011.

Mold Storage (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=115858&highlight=mold+storage)

I use these air tight containers all labeled with the mold that goes in them, each box also contains a dessicant chip. Most of the rows you see in the left picture are two stacks deep. No problem finding the one I'm looking for with them all arranged by caliber.

Rick

MikeS
11-07-2012, 06:33 PM
I have a harbor freight wood workbench setup as my reloading bench, and it has 4 drawers in it and the lower 2 drawers are for mould storage. I have the moulds divided by maker. The first drawer has my Mihec, NOE, and Accurate Molds all lined up nice and neat. The other drawer holds most of my 2-3 cavity moulds, unfortunately this drawer isn't as neat as the other one. I also keep my Lee 6 cavity moulds, and others that have a sprue cam lever on them in a shelf in my closet as the drawers in the workbench aren't really tall enough for them. I should mention that most all of my moulds have their own handles on them, and that makes storing the moulds more of a challenge than if I stored them off the handles. So far this 'system' has worked for me.