PDA

View Full Version : Questions on the 32 Win. Special

burch
11-06-2012, 05:24 PM
First off the Forster #32 pilot doesn`t fit my case mouth even after I tried belling before trimming. The dia. is way too big, any suggestions. Next, i`m using the RCBS 32-170FN bullet ( sized to .323 ) and was wondering what you trim the case at and a c.o.l. I aquired a bunch of once fired cases and dang near all of `em are under 2.030 so should I just load `em and see if they grow any or what. I`m chomping at the bit to shoot a cast bullet out of this old Winny but seem to keep hitting a dead end. I need to work out some bugs so any suggestions are more than welcome. :veryconfu

burch :redneck:

r1kk1
11-06-2012, 05:50 PM
First off the Forster #32 pilot doesn`t fit my case mouth even after I tried belling before trimming. The dia. is way too big, any suggestions. Next, i`m using the RCBS 32-170FN bullet ( sized to .323 ) and was wondering what you trim the case at and a c.o.l. I aquired a bunch of once fired cases and dang near all of `em are under 2.030 so should I just load `em and see if they grow any or what. I`m chomping at the bit to shoot a cast bullet out of this old Winny but seem to keep hitting a dead end. I need to work out some bugs so any suggestions are more than welcome. :veryconfu

burch :redneck:

Trim length 2.030 and loaded length of mine are 2.570. The loaded length may be a little long for yours but not mine. I would call Forster as they will make it right for you. I love this cartridge and the 35-30/30 which is an wildcat that is very old.

Take care

r1kk1

burch
11-06-2012, 07:00 PM
I emailed Forster and they told me the #32 pilot was between .318 - .319 in dia. I told them to check their web site and they`ll find the #32 pilot was .323. I haven`t heard back from them yet.

burch
11-07-2012, 05:22 PM
look at the buldge as the bullet is being seated. This brass has been resized and flared. The dies i`m using are RCBS Cowboy Dies, bullet dia, .323 What am I doing wrong here ?
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/DaytonDave/Picture001.jpg

L Ross
11-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Burch, you need some type of M die to expand the necks before seating the bullets. If Lyman does't make one .322"-.323" then take a look at Buffalo Arms, they even make customs ones. There usually is one thousandth spring back so a .323" spud should still result in .001" neck tension.
When it comes to case trimming, when I run into the situation where the mandrel won't enter the neck on sized brass I trim after firing but before resizing.
You may want to make a chamber cast. I have found the trim to length listed for most calibers tend to be shorter than ideal for cast bullets. The 32-40 and 32 Win. Spl in particular fall into that category.

Duke

burch
11-08-2012, 02:17 PM
what`s the difference between an M die and an expander die ? Also, is making a chamber cast the same as slugging the bore or is that something different ?

gwpercle
11-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Burch ,
As to trimming , I have found that I can only get the pilots to enter into cases that have been fired but not sized. After resizing the pilots will not enter the neck. I just assumed that trimming then sizing was the way to do it and this happens with 30-30 , 30-06 , 45 acp ,and 9mm that I reload for. Try trimming a fired but unsized case and see what happens.

gary

burch
11-08-2012, 06:05 PM
After trimming and sizing your still gonna run into the problem of a .323 bullet bulging like the one in pic. Is it normal for the case to bulge like that. I`ve seen straight walled pistol loadings have a small bulge but i`m not use to seeing it that much. Do you guys that load the .323 bullet for 32 win. special have this issue. Am I worring about too much here or what ? My die set has a die that bells the case mouth like a straight walled pistol round and i`ve done that. I just feel like i`m missing something here. Duke mensioned an M die. Does this die just bell the case mouth or does it go all the way down inside the case body expanding the entire neck.

L Ross
11-08-2012, 08:10 PM
The M die is an expander die with a long parallel section and a small step at the top of the parallel "spud" that creates the flare. Buffalo Arms offers expanders in custom diameters that fit die bodies used for compression dies and I'm pretty sure they fit my M die bodies. I think I read that someone on this forum custom makes expanders and other high quality reloading tools and parts, (Buckshot maybe?)
A chamber cast uses Cerrosafe, a low temperature casting metal, (melted mine with a double boiler). The are well written articles describing the procedure in detail, but basically you plug the bore about an inch beyond the chamber. Then warm the chamber area with a heat gun or blow drier. Carefully pour the melted Cerrosafe into the chamber being careful not to pour it into any recesses in the action. After it cools you can push it out backwards and get detailed measurements from the casting. The exact shrink/growth rate of the Cerrosafe dictates when you make your measurements. Record them for future reference.

Duke

burch
11-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Will the M die expand the whole neck to increase the dia.