PDA

View Full Version : so, i read a lot and still lube questions.

Budda
11-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I am looking for THE recipe. I see the mention of 45/45/10. I want minimal leading from .38/.357 I have cast bullets, pre lube but they left lots of lead behind. I want to add some more of the good lube.

I saw alox and lee lube. But what is the 10%?

I just want one that really works.....I do not want to experiment......just shoot.

digger44
11-06-2012, 01:22 PM
10 % is mineral spirits.
Slug your bore... I'd bet your bullets are too small.

JPW/ALOX/MINSPIRITS ??
45/45/10

ShooterAZ
11-06-2012, 01:24 PM
The Recipe can be found in a "Sticky" near the top of the Boolit Lube forum. It is 45% Alox, 45% Johnsons paste wax (reduced with heat), and 10% mineral spirits. Your leading is more than likely a result of undersized boolits though...Sometimes experimenting is a necessary part of the learning curve.

geargnasher
11-06-2012, 01:26 PM
45/45/10 is covered in the "sticky" thread in this section titled "Tumble lubing, easy and mess-free".

Lead fouling is almost always caused by poor boolit fit allowing powder gas to leak around it, abrade or "gas cut" the metal, and deposit the dust down the bore where it gets ironed on by the passage of the boolit. Other causes are extreme rough spots in the gun, and copper fouling. Lube will not prevent "leading" from happening if there are other problems, no matter how good the formula. You DID remove all the copper from the bore before shooting cast boolits, didn't you?

Here's a link you should read backward and forward, it will explain EVERYTHING you need to know about getting your revolver to shoot. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=110213

Gear

mdi
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
As important as lube is to prevent leading, no lube will help a bullet that is too small in diameter. Measure your gun'e groove diaqmeter, cylinder throats and size/purchase bullets to fit...

Same size as throats and larger than groove dia.