PDA

View Full Version : Modern Bond , 30 cal., 190 gr. Plain base

Ben
11-05-2012, 09:51 PM
I've been enjoying my Modern Bond , 30 cal., 190 gr. Spire plain base mold that I bought from HARRYMPOPE (George ) recently.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/010_zps42b9b38e.jpg

I've shot some pretty impressive groups ( for plain based bullets ) at 50 yards.

Here's 20 rounds fired at 50 yards :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0687.jpg

Today, I thought that it was time to move on out to 100 yards and do more testing with this bullet and load that shot so well at 50 yds.

I thought that the bullet performed well at 100 yards , ( see target below ) considering it is a plain based bullet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0800.jpg

While I was at it, I tested the bullet on dry seasoned oak. I was curious as to the penetration capabilities of the 190 spire plain based bullet propelled by 7.8 grs. of International Clays at 120 yards.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0797.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0796.jpg

The load shot completely through the seasoned oak ! !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0798-1.jpg

littlejack
11-05-2012, 11:36 PM
Hey Ben:
That is a fine lookin boolit, nice mould. Very nice groups also, good shootin. That is some good penatration.
Jack

I'll Make Mine
11-05-2012, 11:40 PM
I was thinking that was a light load until you showed the penetration. Should cover you for whitetail, hogs, and whatever else you might hunt in Alabama...

Ben
11-05-2012, 11:49 PM
I'll Make Mine, littlejack :

At 120 yards, I figured these cast bullets would go into the wood and I'd look on the entrance side of the oak and see the base of the bullet up inside the wood maybe 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch into the wood.

Not so........I think the moral to the story is.....Our cast loads ( even with powder charges as small as 7.8 grs. of International Clays ) probably have quite a bit more power and penetration than we might at 1st glance have given them credit for.

Ben

I'll Make Mine
11-05-2012, 11:53 PM
If it weren't a waste of good meat, I'd suggest repeating the penetration test with a nice country ham or a good sized pot roast (at room temperature). That's the real test, after all; penetration in wood isn't necessarily the same as penetration in flesh.

Ben
11-05-2012, 11:58 PM
True !

However, seasoned white oak is tough !
If these long spire points can penetrate something like this white oak log, I have my doubts that a white tail deer will stop one of them.

Ben

HARRYMPOPE
11-06-2012, 12:04 AM
You are not far off the old 32-40 in power and it killed many of deer dead enough.

George

Ben
11-06-2012, 12:06 AM
George,

I've had loads of fun with this mold.

Many thanks for selling the mold to me.

Ben

Morton
11-06-2012, 12:10 AM
I was with Ben when he shot the oak block. I sure don't want to be that slab of meat!!!!

Ben
11-06-2012, 12:16 AM
AAAhhhhh !

1st post .....Welcome Bryan ! !
Make yourself at home.
You'll learn a lot from these guys !

P.S.

Bryan won't tell you guys, but he's a pretty good shot himself.
He wanted to shoot his Winchester 1917 today and be certain that he is ready for opening day of deer season - - - I'd say by the looks of the target that HE IS READY :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Photo0802.jpg

Thanks,

Ben

Morton
11-06-2012, 12:25 AM
You've already taught me alot and i hope to learn alot more. Thanks for letting me hang around and helping me

Ben
11-06-2012, 12:50 AM
You've already taught me alot and i hope to learn alot more. Thanks for letting me hang around and helping me

Bryan,

I've had just as much ( or more ) fun as you.

Ben

HARRYMPOPE
11-06-2012, 12:55 AM
George,

I've had loads of fun with this mold.

Many thanks for selling the mold to me.

Ben

I felt guilty for owning three of them.i still have two 2 cavities that i tandem cast with.They must have been cut the same day as i cant tell any difference in their weight or dimensions.

George

303Guy
06-08-2013, 07:55 PM
It takes a lot of wood to stop a boolit, specially one that doesn't expand on impact. It looks almost as though those boolits were tipping over when they exited that wood block. That from what looks like lead smear on the exit side. They won't tip in flesh I'd think. It looks as though the boolits were tipped by the grain which is kinda not unexpected.

I do have a question for the deer shooters and that is how effective on deer is a non-expanding boolit with high penetration?

Ben
06-08-2013, 08:46 PM
I do have a question for the deer shooters and that is how effective on deer is a non-expanding boolit with high penetration?

I really have no plans of shooting a deer with this bullet.
This is ( for me ) a good " off season " practice round.

Ben

Marlin Junky
06-08-2013, 09:32 PM

This is ( for me ) a good " off season " practice round.

Ben

Deer? Heck, what about varmints?

What if this design incorporated a .175" meplat??

MJ

Ben
06-08-2013, 10:35 PM

With that said, if I was hungry and all I had was this bullet, I'd shoot the deer right in the side of the head with it.

With accuracy like this, I wouldn't hesitate :

Ben

HARRYMPOPE
06-08-2013, 11:14 PM
thinking about it i believe swede nelson drew a plot up for me a year or so ago.he might still have it.

TXGunNut
06-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Welcome, Bryan! Nice shooting.
First I've heard of "New Bond". What's the story, Ben? George?

Ben
06-09-2013, 02:05 PM
TXGunNut

I've never head of a " New Bond " either.
I've re - read the post, I don't see " New Bond " mentioned by anyone ?

My mold is a Modern Bond , most likely made in the mid to late 40's.

Ben

TXGunNut
06-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Oops, my bad. Sorry. Never heard of "Modern Bond" either. Looks like a pretty good target boolit, maybe designed for long range shooting?

Ben
06-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Yes, I'd love for someone that knew more about my Modern Bond and the history behind this bullet to step forward and share their information.

I've yet to shoot this bullet in a .30 cal. rifle in which it was not super accurate.

Of course, being a plain based bullet, there are speed limitations with this bullet. If you abide by the speed parameters, it is super accurate.

Ben

Marlin Junky
08-04-2013, 02:30 PM
I realize it's been awhile but here's more results with this boolit... thanks again George.

BHN 16 (measured by George) 11.6 grains of SR-7625, MML-Red, shots 13-20 (inclusive) from a 20 rounds string, average velocity for rounds 2-20: 1306 fps; std dev: 5 fps.

I almost forgot... the range was 75 yards and the orange aim-point is 1.25" in diameter.

I suppose I could mention that the shooting platform was a stock Pre-64 M70 in 30-'06 topped off with a cheapo Leupold VX-II 2x7 set on 7X (not the best aiming equipment for senior peepers. Other comments/details at: http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=9648&forum_id=57&jump_to=69047#p69047 but you'll need to be logged in over there to read 'em.

MJ

Ben
08-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Distance ?

Rifle used ?

Caliber ?

Scope used ?

Marlin Junky
08-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Distance ?

Rifle used ?

Caliber ?

Scope used ?

Ben,

I think I got you covered, it just took two or three edits.

MJ

Ben
08-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Ben,

I think I got you covered, it just took two or three edits.

MJ

I hate to come across as a " busy body ",but with a group like that ( VERY IMPRESSIVE ), I was curious about the " details."

nanuk
08-04-2013, 03:59 PM
boolits can be funny when shot into wood.

one day for S&G's my hunting buddy and I lined up several blocks of seasoned jackpine, and shot into them on end to recover the rounds.

His was a IIRC a 0.451 Hornady SST from a sabot, shot from a 50Cal ML with 100gr Pyrodex P
Mine was a 410gr pure lead tapered round nose

His was penetrated 9.5" and was a perfect mushroom

mine penetrated 13" and could have been loaded and shot again. Pure lead, and the only deformation on it was the rifleing marks. I have relieved the muzzle to allow a a pseudo PAS style system, and the boolit nearly fit down without any persuasion

Char-Gar
08-04-2013, 04:47 PM
For many years, Holland and Holland was located at 98 New Bond Street in London. Maybe that is how the brain substitutes "New" for "Modern". Just thinking.....

Marlin Junky
08-04-2013, 05:43 PM
I hate to come across as a " busy body ",but with a group like that ( VERY IMPRESSIVE ), I was curious about the " details."

Ben,

Heck I'd be curious too... I just wasn't sure it was worth adding all the detail (there may be more on CBA where I post as LBD) because I wasn't sure this was a dead thread or not. The "flyer" to the right could be due to either eye fatigue, my rickety rest or the short barreled .223 blasting away next to me; however, I was most impressed by the '06 shooting better on the second half of the 20 round string vs. the first half. When I get some extra free time, I think I'm going to stone my trigger a bit in order to reduce the weight of pull approximately 1/2 pound; i.e., my follow-through could be better.

Plain base bullets are fun!

BTW, the red racing grease and beeswax is awesome! Adding some high temp paraffin (160F+ melt temp) is a great way to adapt it too hot weather too!

MJ

HARRYMPOPE
08-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Glad its working for you too.I read you post over there about having it cut to hold more lube for high velocity.I feel at 1200 it is fine for 200 yard shooting.I have shot many small groups with it at 200 yards at that velocity.At 200 yards with a bit of wind at the 2010 CBA Military Nationals i did pretty well.The guys shooting GC loads at 1600-1700 were using about the same hold-off as i was with their RN/semi-point bullets as my slow poke.I am not sure(but a bit curious) if more or a"high tech" lube with PB production rifles and fixed ammo will be the answer to long term 1500 fps accuracy with plain base.Who knows?

George

Ben
08-04-2013, 07:25 PM
Ben,

Heck I'd be curious too... I just wasn't sure it was worth adding all the detail (there may be more on CBA where I post as LBD) because I wasn't sure this was a dead thread or not. The "flyer" to the right could be due to either eye fatigue, my rickety rest or the short barreled .223 blasting away next to me; however, I was most impressed by the '06 shooting better on the second half of the 20 round string vs. the first half. When I get some extra free time, I think I'm going to stone my trigger a bit in order to reduce the weight of pull approximately 1/2 pound; i.e., my follow-through could be better.

BTW, the red racing grease and beeswax is awesome! Adding some high temp paraffin (160F+ melt temp) is a great way to adapt it too hot weather too!

MJ

You bet, and I think a lot of people on this forum think that maybe I've gone " .30 Plain Base Crazy ", but then again maybe they don't realize how much fun shooting .30 plain base really is.

It seems that you and George do !

Ben

Marlin Junky
08-04-2013, 11:59 PM
Glad its working for you too.I read you post over there about having it cut to hold more lube for high velocity.I feel at 1200 it is fine for 200 yard shooting.I have shot many small groups with it at 200 yards at that velocity.At 200 yards with a bit of wind at the 2010 CBA Military Nationals i did pretty well.The guys shooting GC loads at 1600-1700 were using about the same hold-off as i was with their RN/semi-point bullets as my slow poke.I am not sure(but a bit curious) if more or a"high tech" lube with PB production rifles and fixed ammo will be the answer to long term 1500 fps accuracy with plain base.Who knows?

George

Well, the MB 190 holds about .2 grains of lube and barely forms a gray colored lube star on the muzzle of my M70 at 1300 fps. What I've got cooking is kind of a PB variant on SAECO 315 except its shank is not tapered and its truncated cone is actually a .425" long secant ogive with a .180" meplat. The overall length is 1.075" and the BC should be up there (hopefully .400) considering it's a molded boolit... and it holds about .4 grains of lube. I'm going to order the mold toward the end of next week.

MJ

308w
12-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Not to hijack this thread but I bet that this pb boolit with a bout a 30 or 35% softnose would do fine on mr. whitetail..... Just my 2 cents.

Ben
12-01-2013, 04:02 PM
Well, the MB 190 holds about .2 grains of lube and barely forms a gray colored lube star on the muzzle of my M70 at 1300 fps. What I've got cooking is kind of a PB variant on SAECO 315 except its shank is not tapered and its truncated cone is actually a .425" long secant ogive with a .180" meplat. The overall length is 1.075" and the BC should be up there (hopefully .400) considering it's a molded boolit... and it holds about .4 grains of lube. I'm going to order the mold toward the end of next week.

MJ

MJ,

Did you receive this bullet mold. If so, let's see some photos.

Ben