PDA

View Full Version : Mil-surp Moly spray?

destrux
11-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I was given a crate of this stuff a few years ago by a guy who thought I could use it at my garage. It's no good for anything on cars, so it's been sitting in my cabinets. I was reading about the painted/powdercoated bullets and it made me think about this stuff.

I put the NSN into google and came up with this MSDS sheet:

http://hazard.com/msds/f2/bcx/bcxsp.html

It seems Dow Corning makes it now.

The can says:

Lubricant, Solid Film
9150-00-080-1026
Type I Shelf Life Item
Date of MFG 1/81 Exp Date 7/82 <----- why? what's going to go bad in there?
Electrofilm, Inc.
Date of Mfg 1/81 Batch No.927411
DLA 600-81-M-0724
15 U.S. Ounces

I sprayed it on some scrap metal here and the stuff dries hard, black/grey and you need a screwdriver to scrape it off, and it doesn't flake when it does scrape off.

I was going to try it on some water dropped WW .40SW 175gr TC bullets (Lee mold).

Anyone see anything in it that would harm the bore or cause problems or any other flaws in my plan?

felix
11-05-2012, 06:49 PM
No! Let it dry hard before touching to let all solvents evaporate. By the way, DowCorning always was the maker of the moly, and perhaps DowChemical (same company, different division) made the solvent. Beware of the solvent fumes! This stuff is actually repackaged DowCorning MolyKote 321. Good stuff, and prolly reformulated solvent nowadays because of EPA. You got the GOOD STUFF. Shoot it into the revolter actions for lubing them once and for all. ... felix

Just remembered, it's 321 that I have used to the hilt in the past, and not 231. Not recommended for BR barrels because of different target responses that might not be what is desired (speed/accuracy). ... felix

destrux
11-07-2012, 05:14 PM
I'll give this stuff a shot then once I get some time to cast a fresh batch. Everything I have now is slopped up with LLA.

leadman
11-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I've tested spray moly on boolits in a few pistol cartridges. Any decent velocity resulted in heavy leading.

I also tumbled powdered graphite on boolits with and without wax type lube. Without the wax type lube it was a failure, with wax type lube it improved a marginal load.

Hope you have better luck than me.

The spray moly is great for lubing automobile door latches. Since it is dry it won't get on your clothing or other items. Works well on the hood and trunk hinges also.

rockrat
11-07-2012, 06:40 PM
If you don't want it, send it my way!!

destrux
11-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Well it worked well as a bullet lube, but my gun didn't like it. I sprayed the bullets like I was spray painting them and I dried them overnight on top of my furnace (just warm, not hot) and loaded them up. No leading at all. The only problem I really had was the coating made the bullets a little too big (almost .404" from a .402" uncoated bullet) and they barely chambered (this gun has a tight chamber and an oversize bore, so it's tough to load for with cast already). The rifling leade was scraping some moly off and it was building up in the chamber and after 3 shots the gun wouldn't go into battery anymore, too much gunk. A quick cleaning and it was fine.

I don't think it would have been a problem with a cartridge that headspaces on the rim though. I might try this stuff again when I load some .44 Special for my dad.

leadman
11-11-2012, 12:55 AM
I cleaned my boolits with alcohol before spraying them to get the moly to stick well. You should be able to run them thru a sizer after they are sprayed to reduce the diameter. If the moly is stuck on well it just burnishes.

AABEN
05-03-2013, 02:26 PM
I run all my bullets that is lube with power moly throw the sizer. I have never had any size problem.

AABEN
05-03-2013, 02:27 PM
Do not over spray! A lite spray will do good.