PDA

View Full Version : Got a new shooter set up

Olevern
11-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Took a 30-30 rifle and a T/C Hawken over to the father of one of my mentees yesterday evening. This man has never been a shooter until I began taking his boy shooting, along with some other activities like dirt bike riding. When his boy (now 11, then 8) began to develop an interest in shooting and hunting, the father also decided to come with his boy and shoot at my range. I applaud him for taking this step to be a part of his boys life by becoming involved with his boy in enjoying his son's chosen interests.

Now this new shooter asked me if I had a rifle he could borrow to hunt in the rifle deer season, and, when he shared that he would only be able to hunt three days because of not being able to take off time from work, I set him up with a muzzleloader and the needed supplies so that he could hunt the longer muzzleloader season.

I think we have a convert!

When I went over to his house to deliver the guns, he showed me a Knight muzzleloader inline rifle that someone in his family had given him and we went over it to see what it needed in order for him to use it next years season. It was missing the rear site (someone had had a scope, now missing, on it and discarded the rear site). It also needed a nipple and a good cleaning, with some rust on exterior surfaces.

After this deer season is over, I will help him get his own muzzleloader running and sited in so that he will be ready with his own gun.

He has no family tradition of shooting or hunting, but, now with him and his son getting involved in the shooting sports, hopefully future generations of this family will.

x101airborne
11-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Vern, that is awesome. Not only did you get the son going, you got the father going also. That is pure joy. Congradulations on making some new converts. Keep up the good work! I will never forget my first kill when I was 16. I nearly shook the leaves off the tree after the deer was down. I hope they can share that moment together. Father and son time!!! My dad was not able to be there with me for mine.

gon2shoot
11-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Ya did good. (in spite of the in-line)

Olevern
11-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Ya did good. (in spite of the in-line)

sometimes ya just bring to the dance what ya got!

**oneshot**
11-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Love it. It is awesome that your helping him along.

Frank46
11-06-2012, 12:16 AM
One of my friends has a new shooter who has just completed his military obligation and wants to shoot high power rifle. Asked if I had anything he could use. I said give me a week and I'll see what I come up with.
1, champion choice shooters mat
2. anschutz sling
3. 22 round ammo holster for slow fire standing
4. Anschutz shooting glove
5. 250 once fired fa50 once fired brass and about 600 once fired RP 308 cases.

They guy was very happy to receive the stuff. And I even got some room in the closet. Frank