PDA

View Full Version : In Reguards to putting a Butt pad on a Ranch Hand

jh45gun
11-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Or Mares Leg. Many of us thought that the BATF would consider putting a removable recoil pad on the Ranch Hand or Mares Leg stock would be illegal. Ranch Dog and I were discussing this at the Rossi Rifleman forum so he called the BATF office this morning this is what he had to report:

. I called my BATF field office and spoke with an Agent who was more than happy to address my questions concerning the Ranch Hand and easy to talk to. In a nutshell, you can do anything you want to your "handgun" providing you do not remanufacture the stock. Pads, covers, grips, or anything else you can think of that can be readily removed are not remanufacturering the firearm. You are okay as long as you do not put a rifle butt stock on the receiver.

The agent was impressed that an individual was versed in the manufacturing standard but I learned to always be prepared many moons ago. My statements in this topic are 100% correct. Hopefully this will put this topic to rest so that you can enjoy your Ranch Hand. The Ranch Hand is no different from any other handgun. Just like you would not restock your Glock, don't restock your Ranch Hand.

MT Gianni
11-05-2012, 07:51 PM
So a 12" long recoil pad would be OK as long as it was removable?

BCRider
11-05-2012, 08:39 PM
It's just so odd how one country's laws are different from another's.

Up here in Canada the Ranch Hands are sold as "non restricted rifles" instead of handguns due simply to their overall length being at or over 26 inches and the action being originally based on a full length "proper" rifle. So switching the stocks over to a regular length rifle shoulder stock is not an issue at all. Yet south of the 49th you commit a crime by even contemplating doing the same thing.

Lawmakers, you gotta love 'em.... :D

Mk42gunner
11-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Lawmakers, you gotta love 'em....

No I don't.

Robert

I'll Make Mine
11-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Lawmakers, you gotta love 'em.... :D

No I don't.

I'm with Mk42gunner. Running for public office should be a disqualifier from holding that office.

dunkel
11-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Now I need to go get me a .357 ranch hand lol.

imashooter2
11-06-2012, 08:08 AM
Individual agents, just like individual policemen, are not always the best sources of legal opinion. I would be happy to be wrong on my original call on this issue, but since the BATFE is an agency with a history of killing folks it suspects of evading $5 - $200 taxes, you can be sure that I'd have a written ruling on letterhead before I did it.

I'll Make Mine
11-06-2012, 08:16 AM
you can be sure that I'd have a written ruling on letterhead before I did it.

Make sure it's printed big enough to read through a scope from 400 meters...

BCRider
11-06-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm with Mk42gunner. Running for public office should be a disqualifier from holding that office.

:2_high5:

I gotta agree. The last person we really want in any high ranking office with power over others is those that WANT such a position.

In fact I seem to recall something in an old book by Robert Heinlin along these lines.....

Anyway, I just thought I'd push a few more buttons by mentioning that I just read a thread about a fellow Canuck that non chalantly and without risk of criminal prosecution added a full length shouler stock to his Ranch hand.... :D Check it out if you wish at;

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?823676-Rossi-Ranch-Hand-got-bored-and-made-a-stock-D

You US guys have a lot more firearms freedoms than us up this way in so many other areas that when we can do something easily that you can't?.... well, let's just say that it's fun to at win at least a minor victory like this..... :D

starmac
11-06-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm in the have it in writing crowd. I have had law enforcement more than once tell me (that we will tell you anything) it is no skin off their back if their wrong.

imashooter2
11-06-2012, 06:45 PM
:2_high5:

I gotta agree. The last person we really want in any high ranking office with power over others is those that WANT such a position.

In fact I seem to recall something in an old book by Robert Heinlin along these lines.....

Anyway, I just thought I'd push a few more buttons by mentioning that I just read a thread about a fellow Canuck that non chalantly and without risk of criminal prosecution added a full length shouler stock to his Ranch hand.... :D Check it out if you wish at;

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?823676-Rossi-Ranch-Hand-got-bored-and-made-a-stock-D

You US guys have a lot more firearms freedoms than us up this way in so many other areas that when we can do something easily that you can't?.... well, let's just say that it's fun to at win at least a minor victory like this..... :D

Well you see, after prohibition, we had all these government employees that needed something to do. So we passed the NFA to keep them working.