PDA

View Full Version : Throat Leading in Colt SAA

35 Whelen
11-05-2012, 08:58 AM
I've been shooting a Uberti Colt Clone on .44 Special. Bullet is a 429421 of ACWW and sized .430. I'm getting a little leading in the throat. I haven't mic'ed the cylinder mouths, but the bullets can't be pushed through them.

I understand the cylinder mouths need to be larger in diameter than the groove of the barrel. So is it practical to ream the cylinder and if so, where does a fella get a reamer? Check Brownells and didn't see anything.

Thanks,
35W

newton
11-05-2012, 09:45 AM
I would slug everything and get some good measurements written down. Then compare numbers. I have heard that the best thing to do is send the cylinder to cylindersmith.com or something like that. I am sure others can chime in that have actually sent it off.

But I would slug the barrel and cylinder before doing that. You might find that the dimensions are correct and there is another problem in the mix. I got a lot of leading with mine when I first got it. Turns out the only issue I was facing, and still am, is a barrel/frame restriction.

44man
11-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Yes, you need groove size compared to throat size. You need to measure first. The gun might be fine and you might be shooting a boolit too large.
It might be as simple as a size die.

cbrick
11-05-2012, 10:54 AM
I've been shooting a Uberti Colt Clone on .44 Special. Bullet is a 429421 of ACWW and sized .430. I'm getting a little leading in the throat. I haven't mic'ed the cylinder mouths, but the bullets can't be pushed through them.

I understand the cylinder mouths need to be larger in diameter than the groove of the barrel. So is it practical to ream the cylinder and if so, where does a fella get a reamer? Check Brownells and didn't see anything. Thanks, 35W

Before you permanently alter a firearm you need good, solid, accurate measurements. Don't assume and then alter a firearm based on an assumption.

Proper revolver dimensions is for the groove diameter to be at or just a tick smaller than cylinder throat diameters. Only if the cylinder throats are smaller than groove diameter should you consider reaming the throats.

I size revolver bullets to a mild snug fit in the cylinder throats. If it can't be pushed through with a pencil it's too tight. This could be where your leading is coming from and nothing more than the proper sizing die is needed.

Rick

Bullet Caster
11-05-2012, 11:11 AM
I also shoot a .45 Uberti long colt and have never had any leading issues. I slugged the bore and found that using a .452 sizing die works great. The bore slugged at .451 so I use the .452 sizing die. The boolits will fall through the chambers with a little push. However I have noticed a little lead around the forcing cone, but it is very little.

I'm gonna try using black powder in my .45 LC loads, 'cause I can get a faster moving boolit (around 950 fps) as opposed to a 850 fps with 5 grains of Bullseye. And I like all the smoke associated with BP. BC

Silver Jack Hammer
11-05-2012, 11:43 AM
If it is determined that your cylinders are too tight, do not be discouraged. The fix is relatively easy and not costly. Genuine Colt's suffer from oversized cylinder throats and the fix is quite costly and time consuming.

BCRider
11-05-2012, 07:34 PM
If it's any help the chamber throats on all three of my Ruger .44Mags measure .432.

BCRider
11-05-2012, 07:51 PM
I'd also suggest that you invest in a cheap dial caliper. I'd suggest the digital ones but the one digital one I've got always seems to have a dead battery in it. Meanwhile the 5 dial ones I use in the gun and machine shop ALWAYS work.... :D An import dial caliper is typically around $20 to $25 when found on sale. A highly valuable bit of gear for any gun owner.

35 Whelen
11-05-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I shoot lots of .30 caliber cast and used to slug EVERYTHING, but soon found out that a .310" or .311" bullet works fine in any .308" barrel. And since most domestic barrels seem to slug .308" as they should, follwing the "bigger is better" philosophy, I just figured a .430" sized bullet would work in any barrel that "should" slug .429". But like I said I realized the bullets are to large for the cylinder throats. I am goig to slug the barrel tonight, though.

I'd also suggest that you invest in a cheap dial caliper. I'd suggest the digital ones but the one digital one I've got always seems to have a dead battery in it. Meanwhile the 5 dial ones I use in the gun and machine shop ALWAYS work.... An import dial caliper is typically around $20 to $25 when found on sale. A highly valuable bit of gear for any gun owner.

Have three dial calipers and two micrometers. For measuring bullets, I really trust the micrometers more.

35W

BCRider
11-06-2012, 06:53 PM
There's no doubt that there is a certain skill involved in running either a caliper or a mic. I guess I've worked with my metal working and the calipers enough that I can trust the tool and myself to measure consistently to better than a half thou. So I tend to only get my mic's out when I'm looking at 1/4 to 1/10 of a thou for accuracy.

But as you so rightly point out for a beginner or rare occasional user a mic could well be a better option. To you folks reading this keep in mind that it's still about technique though. You can easily get bad measurements or mess up a mic in short order if you don't use the tensioned thimble to get consistent pressure or if you hold the mic up against heavier things with too much pressure and get a cockeyed measurement.

scattershot
11-09-2012, 12:18 PM
If you decide to ream your cylinder throats, check Brownells again. I had a heck of a time finding one for my .45 Colt, but they have them. I can't remember the exact search term I used to find it.