PDA

View Full Version : Hollow point for target shooting?

Bisbee
11-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Is there any advantage using (HP) hollow point boolits for paper target shooting?

blikseme300
11-05-2012, 08:47 AM
According to the DHS it is, if you can believe them that their purchases were for training.

Bliksem
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RobsTV
11-05-2012, 09:10 AM
Use everyday what you trained with.
Train with what you intend on using everyday.

So here the answer is no.

captaint
11-05-2012, 09:32 AM
The theory is - with more of the overall weight to the rear of the boolit, it will fly more accurately. That's what "they" tell me, anyway. enjoy Mike

Dale53
11-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Many NRA Bullseye shooters in the past have shot commercial swaged SWC Hollow Points in their Bullseye guns (1911 45 ACP) with excellent results.

On the other hand, I enjoy excellent results with my Mihec H&G #68 200 SWC "without hollow points).

FWIW
Dale53

MT Gianni
11-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Most target bullets are HP like the 168 gr 30 cal j-words. I am not sure that it makes much difference under 300 yards.

trixter
11-05-2012, 01:23 PM
I have used and prefer 200 gr LSWC that I cast myself. I just like the nice hole they put in the paper. I have tried LRN1r in 230 gr, and LRN2r in 200 gr, and they are OK, but prefer LSWC. Also, they are easier to get full fill out when casting, at least for me.

Beau Cassidy
11-05-2012, 10:03 PM
I believe I read somewhere that with a hollow point the center of balance is shifted towards the back of the bullet, theoretically reducing yaw.

I personally have never found it to make a difference. Back when I was shooting a lot of bullseye I often times would outshoot lots of people using the Nosler 185 JPH by using the H&G 68 made in my garage. Oh boy what a fun way to make friends, especially when having a particularly good day and outshooting the master classifications!

Griz44mag
11-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Dale,
I have that MIHEC mold as well.
I love it!

RobS
11-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Rifle shooting may have more application regards to more accuracy HP vs a solid in the same design. I know that I have better accuracy from the same design but HP'd with certain loads in my 375 H&H that I can't make happen with the solid version. Seems like if I find an accurate load with the solid in the 375 the HP will be just as good or better though.

rintinglen
11-05-2012, 10:38 PM
The stopping power is greatly enhanced, so you are much less likely to face a charge from a wounded target.:kidding:

1Shirt
11-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I am convinced that with cast, that a properly cast hollow point of the same mold that is not HP'd will be more accurate!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Griz44mag
11-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Take a look at the Hornady target match rifle bullet #30501.
It is sold marked clearly not for hunting use. It is a hollow point (rifle)
The same exact bullet not hollow pointed is not as accurate.
I also get better accuracy from home cast 9MM hollow point than the exact same bullet from the exact same mold with non hollow point (plug) pins in it.

Eutectic
11-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I am convinced that with cast, that a properly cast hollow point of the same mold that is not HP'd will be more accurate!

I see this probably 80% of the time in accurate rifle loads.

madsenshooter
11-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Ben has had some good results with boolits from moulds he's had hollowpointed. But I don't know if he's done head to head testing of HP vs solid. Might be something I'll get around to in the future as I have several NOE molds with a HP pin in one cavity.

darkroommike
11-06-2012, 10:12 AM
The Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail is a standard target bullet. Jacketed HP's spin very well and have a better ballistic coefficient for the same weight since the bullet mass is moved outward as well as back towards the base of the bullet.

RobsTV
11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
So how do the hollow base boolits perform so accurately in specific situations?

I recall reading with the BP 45-70, that it was somewhat like a birdie in badminton, and the more forward the weight, the better. Huge accuracy improvement here after switching to hollow base.

mpmarty
11-06-2012, 02:16 PM
The advantage to hollow point bullets as opposed to hollow point boolits is in the drawing and forming of the bullets. Having an open nose to extrude the soft lead core as the die swages the jacket down allows a closed, solid base which is an aid to accuracy just like the bases of our cast boolits effect results.

fredj338
11-06-2012, 03:53 PM
In a jacketed bullet, a HP will often shoot a bit better than exposed lead based FMJ. The base is more uniform. In lead bullets in handguns, I don't find much diff between my best solid vs LHP loads.

JeffinNZ
11-06-2012, 05:25 PM
I have read a bit about how moving the centre of gravity rewards in a HP boolit can improve accuracy. I have seen changes in accuracy myself with my 225462 regular and HP boolits. It may be the GC of thing has merit or maybe the harmonics of a lighter boolit come into play.

What I know for sure is you don't see HP's listed in the CBA results and it is sure easier to cast a near perfect boolit when it is not HP.

Mal Paso
11-07-2012, 12:36 PM
The stopping power is greatly enhanced, so you are much less likely to face a charge from a wounded target.:kidding:

+1 Paper cuts can be nasty! [smilie=l:

DRNurse1
11-07-2012, 12:55 PM

Take a look at the Hornady target match rifle bullet #30501.
It is sold marked clearly not for hunting use. It is a hollow point (rifle)
The same exact bullet not hollow pointed is not as accurate.
I also get better accuracy from home cast 9MM hollow point than the exact same bullet from the exact same mold with non hollow point (plug) pins in it.

[QUOTE=JeffinNZ;1908816]I have read a bit about how moving the centre of gravity rewards in a HP boolit can improve accuracy. I have seen changes in accuracy myself with my 225462 regular and HP boolits. It may be the GC of thing has merit or maybe the harmonics of a lighter boolit come into play.

Many good points here. The Conventional Pistol competitors (Bulls Eye Pistol), seem to shoot both HP and SWC, though I have not seen any HP in the .22 competitions (cost is not usually as big a factor as accuracy for these folks).

1 shirt probably has the right tack: confidence in the boolit or j-word you are shooting greatly improves the results. I wonder if the change from HP to solid in the same mold affects accuracy because the boolit/powder/ primer/ case/ gun combination is tuned for the HP version rather than some inherent inaccuracy in SWC vs HP.

Keep on thinking and testing this idea. I can use this information in my reloading adventures.