PDA

View Full Version : 1,400 WW score!

Murphy
06-10-2007, 11:09 PM
I was out of town this weekend visiting family members and decided to do a bit of scrounging Saturday morning.

I hit a few good sized tire shops with not much luck and managed about a 1 1/2 gallons of WW's for $5.00

I finally hit a small shop that I figured I'd be lucky if they had any either. I spoke with the manager about any old WW's he would be willing to part with. He had me wait a minute and returned.

He told me he indeed had some WW's and how many did I need? I asked how much for them? $10 a bucket was his reply.

I DIDN'T HAVE ENOUGH TRUCK!!! Ford F150 1/2 ton.

They were five gallon buckets!

The employees started loading and I finally figured my truck was about as loaded as I dare to load it, considering I wasn't that close to home.

Said and done, I paid the man $80.00..stepped next door and bought the help a 12 pack of beer. I drove off feeling like a bandit and the hands all told me to HURRY BACK!!!

1,405 pounds!!!

[smilie=w:

Murphy

44woody
06-10-2007, 11:55 PM
way to go marc go back and get the rest of them :castmine: 44Woody

Hunter
06-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Yea 1400 pounds of W-W! I here you. I scored 2 5 gallon buckets of W-W Saturday.
I love buckets of wheel weights.

jballs918
06-11-2007, 01:59 AM
i hate you, good score lol
:mrgreen:

targetshootr
06-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Nice. Like winning the lottery, eh. My biggest haul at one spot was 11 which took two trips.

Newtire
06-11-2007, 08:23 AM
I went down & put new front meats on the Missy's Toyota saturday & was shocked when the guy there told me he would have a bucket waiting for me when I came to pick up the car. HOwever, the cupboard was bare and he appologized saying that there was a guy came yesterday to pick them up. He too was making "fishing weights". What if the guy asks you for some fishing weights? Guess I should have a mold ready to make some eh? He told me to call back next Friday & he would have another bucket ready.

Blammer
06-11-2007, 10:15 AM
wow! that's a lot o bullets....

so how long will that last you?

Murphy
06-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Blammer,

My total supply is now at about 3,000 Lbs of alloy. WW's, lead and a couple 100 pounds of Linotype combined.

I cast for calibers ranging from 9mm up to .44 Mag

I decided sometime back to take the lightest boolit and the heaviest boolit I cast and get an average per 1,000 rounds. 26 1/4 pounds seems to be about right.

That comes to a grand total of approximately 114,000 cast boolits.

If I manage (and I doubt I will) to shoot 5,000 rounds year...that's enough to last me about 22 years. I'm 53 years young right now. I'm comfy with those numbers...but I'll STILL keep looking for more WW's. :)

Murphy

targetshootr
06-11-2007, 09:19 PM
It's a sickness, same as buying guns. Always want more no matter how many ya got.

:drinks:

nelsonted1
06-12-2007, 01:19 AM
A few months after I got hurt I asked a guy at the walmart if I could have the full pail of WW, he said sure! I came back with coffe cans, plastic bags, fruit cans- everything I could get that was small. I was hurt so bad I could hardly lift my wallet or shoes. I couldn't size a 223 or cock my pellet gun.

I jumped out of the car and was met by the MGR. He said if you want the WW you have to take it all- all or nothing. We went out back and there were eight mounded pails! I stood there staring, seeing a goldmine that I couldn't accept. But then I said brother-in... Wayne!

I called him up. He showed up and I swear I could hear a gong ringing in his head! We started smelting that afternoon, all afternoon got over 350 lbs of WW.

Now when I ask I'm told no way, the tire delivery people get it.

Wow, what a score!

TED

My brother's friend owns a tire business in MN. He told me last fall if I came out and took the whole works he'd be so happy he'd help me load. He said he had over ten pails. I had to get back to KY ASAP so missed my haul. Now, I am going back for a visit and can't stop worrying about the WW. MY bro owns a body shop and does work for the guy.

THere is a race track in the area- been there for 40 years. Several of the cars are sitting around that have been wrecked. They all have WW as ballast in them, that's not the right word but you get the idea. Anyway, I've been wondering about getting them for the scrap AND THE WW IN THE FRAME!

jdhenry
06-12-2007, 03:15 AM
SHOW OFF :) nice score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!