PDA

View Full Version : 1885 High Wall Uberti accuracy?

Bagdadjoe
11-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Found one at a local shop in 45-70. Are they accurate enough to warrant putting a set of good sights on and trying to shoot competively at least as a beginning gun?
thanks!

Jon K
11-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes, may shoot good, but there are other issues.
You won't like the crescent buttstock.
Does it have a single, or double set trigger?
If the price is right...go for it. I have a friend, just bought one with double set trigger. He likes it. I cut the stock, put a Pachmayr recoil pad on, and mounted a scope.

Jon

Hiwall55
11-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes its a good beginners gun but their barrels leave alot to be desired,look at some BPCR match notices and you will not see too many Ubertis winning. I have a Uberti Hiwall and only when I put a Green Mountain Barrel on it did it become a tackdriver to the ram line. Having said that I just Bought a new Shiloh Sharps and am going to sell my Pedersoli Hiwall, single set trigger, 45/70 with Parts Uknown soule sight and lyman 20 Large diameter Globe front sight,Shotgun Buttstock http://s1256.photobucket.com/albums/ii489/Hiwall55/

Bagdadjoe
11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
I'll have to go look at it again. I just casually looked it over and put it back on the rack. Did a price check and it's not bad, but not a barnburner either. I'll have to put the evil eye on it and then see what the negotiated price is.

drcook
11-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Their pistols are superb based on all the postings/reviews/and such I have read but their long guns leave a bit to be desired for the precision shooter.

Ubertis are notorious for the internals not being hardened enough and sometimes having rough barrels.

An Uberti Highwall was the first BPCR/single shot rifle I bought and shame on me for not having my glasses and checking things like the chamber. It looked like it had been reamed with a 1/2-20 tap. I had bought it and by the time I got around to shooting it (which I never did by the way) it was too late to return, even if the small gunshop would have taken it back. I would have had to screw around with their warranty department so it went down the road to someone who really just wanted a wall hanger for period type decoration. I know people who have had to reharden the trigger, sear etc

There is a reason why Pedersoli buys only the action froms Uberti, reheat treats them and then use their own barrels and wood.

(Pedersoli and Uberti have a business arrangement. Most if not all Uberti Sharps are actually Pedersolis).

You can see the highwalls that Pedersoli builds out of Uberti actions here:

http://www.cherrys.com/ped_cart.htm

Southern Son
11-05-2012, 07:24 AM
I have one. It shot good out to 500 meters but after that it got a bit wild and wooly. I did not understand why I could win stuff at 500, then not even get a hit at 800. Then I found out that the Uberti barrel was a 1 in 20 twist, not quite enough for the 530+grain boolits I was launching. I got a Green Mountain barrel put on it and have not looked back. I don't know about the internals being "Soft" or not properly hardened or whatever. I have fired so many rounds throught it now I could not even begin to count them (except for a 100 or so that were duplex, all have been black powder). The trigger feel the same now as it did when I got it.

If you get it in a calibre that can give you a bit more than a little shove, then you probably won't like the crescent butt plate.