PDA

View Full Version : First failure with STM pins

L Ross
11-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Not bashing STM or stainless pins, just a heads up. I've rotary tumbled a number of different calibers from .223 to 50-70 with total satisfaction. Today I wanted to load some .250-3000's for my wife to deer hunt with in a couple of weeks. After full lentgh sizing 50 cases I dumped them in the Thumbler with my STM pins, some Dawn, and Lemi-Shine. A couple of hours later while watching the Packer game I went to rinse the brass and dry it in my dehydrator. Oh oh, every single case had a pin or two caught crossways in the neck, blocking the rest of the pins in the case. I had to use a forceps to pull the crosswise pins out before shaking out the remainder. Needless to say this was a pain in the butt. I can only assume all .25 caliber bottle neck cases would fare the same.

Duke

I'll Make Mine
11-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Sounds like you just got the wrong size pins for .25 cal brass... :groner:

hylander
11-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I don't know why, but STM recommends throwing away the pins that get stuck.
I just ordered the STM tumbler kit, can't wait to use it

Lizard333
11-04-2012, 11:42 PM
STM recommends throwing out pins that get stuck in the primer pockets.

I don't have any 25 calibre brass but haven't had any problems either

Bummer to hear about that. I've been using the STM for almost two years and still marvel at how nice the brass comes out.

biggdawg
11-05-2012, 08:55 AM
I have similar results when i tumble my sized 6.5pcc cases i get quite a few pins stuck sideways in the necks. doesn't happen on the fired cases just the sized ones. just something you live with like pins getting stuck in the primer pockets. a price i pay for shinny brass

jmorris
11-05-2012, 10:30 AM
What length are your pins? The ones I have are far too long to fit sideways in such a small mouth.

biggdawg
11-05-2012, 11:26 AM
What length are your pins? The ones I have are far too long to fit sideways in such a small mouth.

here are mine i got them from pellets llc

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/BIGGDAWG800/IMG_3447.jpg

Bullet Caster
11-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I've been using STM for the last 6 months and have never had a problem with them except for an occassional stuck pin in the primer pocket and I don't throw them away. I merely pull them out with my needle nose pliers and return to the tumbler. Of course I don't use any .25 caliber brass.

I did a lot of research before I decided on a cleaning method. I think the STM is a great way to process brass and get the primer pockets clean as well. BC

L Ross
11-07-2012, 11:25 PM
jmorris, I don't know what length they are and right now they are furiously polishing 30-30 brass so I can't measure them. That said, I'd guess a RCBS full length 250 Savage die probably sizes the neck down to about .254" and my STM pins bridged in the neck and pulled out with some pressure. I would polish before resizing but one of the main reasons I even polish my smokeless brass is to remove the Imperial sizing wax.

Duke

jmorris
11-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Mine also came from pellets llc

Knocking off the lube is the main reason I keep the vibratory cleaner around but I post load tumble for just a few minutes.