PDA

View Full Version : Using RCBS dies in XL650 Dillon

6bg6ga
11-04-2012, 04:20 PM
I just got a Dillon XL650 press and if I'm not mistaken your supposed to be able to use common dies in it. I have some 25year old RCBS dies and questions. It says to use the decapping resizing die in position Number one. My depriming die does not resize as it only deprimes and bells the mouth. The other RBCS dies in my set are a full length resizer, a bullet seater, and a taper crimper. So, do I need to purchase the Dillon dies?

wrench man
11-04-2012, 04:39 PM
You don't specify what the dies are for?, sounds like my 30 Carbine dies I got with the rifle, they wouldn't work in my 550B, I got newer dies (pieced in RCBS and LEE dies) and all is good.

6bg6ga
11-04-2012, 04:45 PM
I guess I forgot to mention the caliber is 45acp

6bg6ga
11-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I just bought the Dillon dies for it:smile:

Dan Cash
11-04-2012, 06:12 PM
I just bought the Dillon dies for it:smile:

You will be very happy with them, particularly when shooting cast. The seating stem is double ended so that you have a profile for round nose and one for flat nose bullets. You can pull the stem for cleaning without loosing your adjustment and you will have to work at it to break a decapping pin.

6bg6ga
11-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Your right I believe I will be happy with them. They simplify the process of loading without the need for an operation on a different press before I process the cases on the 650. Checked my other dies, my 9mm, 40cal, 380, and 357 and I will need to purchase a dillon die set for the 357 because mine is probably the old style that has 4 dies instead of the three die set that has taken its place.

M-Tecs
11-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Dillon dies are nice but not required. On the 650 you have five stations. On my 650’s I use universal depriming dies in station one. I size in station two.

They simplify the process of loading without the need for an operation on a different press before I process the cases on the 650 .

You shouldn’t need any operations on a different press. ?????????????

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-05-2012, 08:56 AM
I just got a Dillon XL650 press and if I'm not mistaken your supposed to be able to use common dies in it. I have some 25year old RCBS dies and questions. It says to use the decapping resizing die in position Number one. My depriming die does not resize as it only deprimes and bells the mouth. The other RBCS dies in my set are a full length resizer, a bullet seater, and a taper crimper. So, do I need to purchase the Dillon dies?

I would just put the full length resizer in station one with a decapping pin in it and put the other dies in the appropriate locations. Unless you just want to buy the Dillon dies. In which case I'd buy them, then sell the RCBS dies to offset some of the cost.

km101
11-05-2012, 05:56 PM
You can buy a decapping pin from......Oh never mind, you already bought those expensive Dillon dies! You dont need any more advice on how to fix the problem easily anc cheaply. :)

6bg6ga
11-05-2012, 06:55 PM
I would just put the full length resizer in station one with a decapping pin in it and put the other dies in the appropriate locations. Unless you just want to buy the Dillon dies. In which case I'd buy them, then sell the RCBS dies to offset some of the cost.

If I could have gotten a FL resizing die with a decapping pin I surely would have purchased it. Everyone I asked told me they didn't make such a thing and I would need new dies so I bought them. If someone can provide me some info on purchasing a FL die with a decapping pin I would surely appreciate it because I will also need a FL with decapping pin for my 357/38 reloading.

I will probably sell my RCBS dies on Ebay or something.

David2011
11-05-2012, 07:06 PM
It sounds like some parts may have been swapped around in the RCBS dies in order do decap and bell in one step. All of my RCBS sizing dies have decapping assemblies.

This is a direct copy of the die descriptions for steel and carbide die sets from the RCBS catalog:

RCBS pioneered and developed the 3-Die Sets for straight-wall
rifle and pistol cases. In the 3-Die Set, sizing and expanding
(belling) are done in separate dies. The 3-Die Set has a Sizer Die
with Decapping Unit, Expander Die for expanding and belling the
case mouth and a Seater Die with Roll or Taper Crimp and Bullet
Seater Plug(s) for seating and crimping the bullet.

The Carbide Sizer Die eliminates the need for case lubrication
and cases do not need to be cleaned before sizing. Carbide
Die Sets consist of a Carbide Sizer Die with Decapping Unit,
Expander Die for expanding and belling the case mouth, plus
a Seater Die with Roll or Taper Crimp and Bullet Seater Plug.
Carbide Sizer Dies are also available separately. Available in
most popular handgun calibers and .30 M-1 Carbine. See die
listings for caliber availability.

David

6bg6ga
11-05-2012, 07:09 PM
I have an old set of dies that I probably purchased closer to 25+ years ago and nothing has been swapped around. The first die is the FL. The second die is the decapping and bell the mouth. The third is bullet seating, and the 4th is taper crimp. It is impossible to move the decapping portion of the die to any other and vice versa in this set.

M-Tecs
11-05-2012, 08:39 PM
I have an old set of dies that I probably purchased closer to 25+ years ago and nothing has been swapped around. The first die is the FL. The second die is the decapping and bell the mouth. The third is bullet seating, and the 4th is taper crimp. It is impossible to move the decapping portion of the die to any other and vice versa in this set.

On the 650 with those dies you would decap but not bell on the first station, size on the second, drop powder and bell on the third (powder funnel is what bells the cartridge), fourth is bullet seating and fifth is taper crimp. Page 14 of the owner’s manual covers powder funnel adjustment.

6bg6ga
11-05-2012, 08:52 PM
On the 650 with those dies you would decap but not bell on the first station, size on the second, drop powder and bell on the third (powder funnel is what bells the cartridge), fourth is bullet seating and fifth is taper crimp. Page 14 of the owner’s manual covers powder funnel adjustment.

I understand that completely but my dies that I was going to use did NOT give me the option to do this. My die ONLY decapps and bells and it is NOT possible to FL resize and decapp thus the new dies.

6bg6ga
11-05-2012, 09:00 PM
http://http://s378.photobucket.com/albums/oo228/burnedfingers/45%20acp%20dies/

The photo shows my decapping and belling attachment and as you can see it doesn't fit the FL resizing die. Now, I had purchased this die set many years ago as a set. Contrary to popular opinion here I haven't changed anything nor could I. The set I have is totally different from what is being sold today. It is one of two RCBS die sets I own that is this way. I had asked everyone that I knew if it was possible to purchase a die set with a FL resizing/ decapping die and received an answer of no or they didn't know. This is why I purchased a Dillon die set.

I believe this picture surely indicates that what I have in my die set doesn't allow me to do what is needed in station number one. Had I receive proper information that would have pointed me in the right direction I would have just purchased 1) either a decapping pin that would have threaded into my FL resizing die or a FL resizing die with a decapping function.

WILDEBILL308
11-05-2012, 09:19 PM
As to using none Dillon dies in the 650 not a problem. You will need a powder die and powder funnel to use the Dillon powder measure. The only problem is you will get spoiled using the Dillon dies as they have a much larger bell on the opening of the dies. You may have to go slower and help line up the case mouth with the die when not using Dillon dies.
I am guessing that some one added a decap only die. I can’t imagine why your decap die bells the case mouth. This would be counter productive, as it will remove the bell when you size the case. This would excusiveley work the case mouth. You would still have to bell it to seat the bullet. All the 3 die sets I have ever seen the sizing die also decaps the case.
Bill

6bg6ga
11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Its a new XL 650 and it comes with the powder funnel that bells the mouth and drops the powder.

The dillon can use non Dillon dies and that is what I wanted to do.....the decapp and FL resize in station 1), the Dillon pweder measure and bell function in station 2) the bullet seat in station 3) and the taper crimp in station number four.

As you can see from my picture the die set I have functions the way I have stated. They didn't use to make the three die sets like they do now days.

WILDEBILL308
11-05-2012, 09:47 PM
If I could have gotten a FL resizing die with a decapping pin I surely would have purchased it. Everyone I asked told me they didn't make such a thing and I would need new dies so I bought them. If someone can provide me some info on purchasing a FL die with a decapping pin I would surely appreciate it because I will also need a FL with decapping pin for my 357/38 reloading.

I will probably sell my RCBS dies on Ebay or something.

You can by a 38/357 carbide sizing die hear for $37.29
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&newcategorydimensionid=12676&pageNumber=2
I would put that money toward the Dillon set much better set and they come with the Dillon warenty. Dillon dies are $63.95 and they are desined to work on your 650.
Bill

M-Tecs
11-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I understand that completely but my dies that I was going to use did NOT give me the option to do this. My die ONLY decapps and bells and it is NOT possible to FL resize and decapp thus the new dies.

I have some of those dies purchased new in 1969. They can be adjusted without belling. It will decap only. Station one can be decap only (no bell no FL size). Station two can be size only. Station three can be used for powder drop and bell.

M-Tecs
11-05-2012, 09:57 PM
Its a new XL 650 and it comes with the powder funnel that bells the mouth and drops the powder.

The dillon can use non Dillon dies and that is what I wanted to do.....the decapp and FL resize in station 1), the Dillon pweder measure and bell function in station 2) the bullet seat in station 3) and the taper crimp in station number four.

As you can see from my picture the die set I have functions the way I have stated. They didn't use to make the three die sets like they do now days.

The 650 is a five station machine. You don't have to run the powder die in station two. You can run it in station three. I have been doing this for 10 years on my three 650's. Station three is normally for the Powder Check System . You will want to run the bullet seater in station 4 and not 3 due to clearance issues. Station five is for the taper crimp.

6bg6ga
11-06-2012, 07:08 AM
The 650 is a five station machine. You don't have to run the powder die in station two. You can run it in station three. I have been doing this for 10 years on my three 650's. Station three is normally for the Powder Check System . You will want to run the bullet seater in station 4 and not 3 due to clearance issues. Station five is for the taper crimp.

I went back an re read what you had posted. Sorry it didn't sink in last night= too tired.

I read your last post and moved the powder measure to station three and it will work. When I read the Dillon manual it told me I had to have the power measure at station two and I didn't give it a second thought. I just put it there and didn't go any further. So, I thank you for making me see the light. No need for those Dillon 45acp dies that I will receive thursday and no need to purchase a FL resizer and decapper for my 38/357 die set.:bigsmyl2:

6bg6ga
01-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Ok.... Does anyone know if RCBS or other manufacturer makes a decapping assembly to fit inside the FL carbide die I have? The die is drilled and tapped 7/16-20

Pictures show the full length carbide resizing die with a 7/16-20 threaded shaft from an air cylinder screwed into it. I confirmed the 7/16-20 thread on the air cylinder with a 7/16-20 nut from the hardware store. Do know how hard it is to find a 7/16-20 now days?

Anyway if it doesn't cost a fortune I would like to find a decapping assembly to screw into this anequated FL resizing die so I can use it for another 45acp setup on my XL650 Dillon.

VHoward
01-02-2013, 07:44 PM
I don't know the thread size on Lee's decapper clamp is, but you can get the decapper clamp and decapper pin for $3.50 from Lee. You might be able to get them to tell you the thread size if you called them.
http://leeprecision.com/parts/reloading-dies/hand-gun-dies/carbide-sizing-die-only/carbide-die-only-45-acp-parts/

RCBS also has a heavy duty decapping replacement unit for $10 for .27 thru .45 caliber. http://bit.ly/Wf5n9d
So you might call RCBS and see if that will fit your FL sizing die.

Doc65
01-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Most of my 650 setup are made out of pieced together dies sets that I made work because I had them or was able to get them for next to nothing. I have 6 different setup/toolheads, and none of the dies other than the powder dies, is Dillon, not that I have anything against their dies, just haven't found the need to buy a set yet. I've been lucky enough to be able to use what I had, or a set from a gunshow or the LGS's bargain bin of partial sets of dies to get set for each of the calibers I run thru my Dillon.

Doc65
01-02-2013, 08:25 PM
They make a collar that screws into the dies with that thread size, then a decapping rod threads into that. I had to get one of those collars for a .308 neck size die that I picked up for $2; reloading guy at the LGS said I needed the large internal thread size, and he only had the small ones, but I could call RCBS & they would send me one. I wasn't much for patience so I got one of the MANY small internal thread ones he had, drilled it & ran a 1/4"-28 tap thru that collar & was in business, total out lay of $2(was given the collar) & about 10 minutes time to mod the small decapping pin collar.

Ok.... Does anyone know if RCBS or other manufacturer makes a decapping assembly to fit inside the FL carbide die I have? The die is drilled and tapped 7/16-20

Pictures show the full length carbide resizing die with a 7/16-20 threaded shaft from an air cylinder screwed into it. I confirmed the 7/16-20 thread on the air cylinder with a 7/16-20 nut from the hardware store. Do know how hard it is to find a 7/16-20 now days?

Anyway if it doesn't cost a fortune I would like to find a decapping assembly to screw into this anequated FL resizing die so I can use it for another 45acp setup on my XL650 Dillon.

rodsvet
01-02-2013, 08:25 PM
Joe, I run a lot of Lee dies in my 650. They work just fine and are half the price of the Dillon dies. Lee's are supposed to be "belled" for progressive reloading. My 650 does have a habit of eating brass no matter who's dies I use. As an aside, Derek seems to think they are getting close to a shipping date on the Mark 4. Rod

6bg6ga
01-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Joe, I run a lot of Lee dies in my 650. They work just fine and are half the price of the Dillon dies. Lee's are supposed to be "belled" for progressive reloading. My 650 does have a habit of eating brass no matter who's dies I use. As an aside, Derek seems to think they are getting close to a shipping date on the Mark 4. Rod

Rod,

I've probably only loaded 1K 45acp on my 650 so far and no lost brass. I did swap the powder drop/belling piece for the Mr. Bulletdropper piece. I have a complete set of Dillon 45acp dies in the press now that are set up for 230rn. My intent is to purchase another die plate and convert my FL die so it decaps at the same time (its a real old set). I'll PM you with regard to the MarkIV.

VHoward,

Thanks for the reply. The RCBS decapper is a 1/4-28 threaded body which is my intent already to purchase. The Lee parts... I don't have an idea if I can use them or not because of the lack of documentation and pictures available in Lees information.

Doc65,

Thanks for the reply. I have looked and can't seem to find the part you are talking about. I am thinking along the line of purchasing a 7/16-20 bolt, center drilling and tapping it. I will admit this is more work than I want to do in the cold garage right now.

Anyone have any experience with the Redding Reloading Products? They have a PN 076-21097 which looks to be a decapping assembly. I will try to call and see what size the body is.

I have sent an email to RCBS but no reply yet. It would be nice to get these pre 1969 dies to work for me. I am using all 5 stations since I am using a bullet dropper.

6bg6ga
01-27-2013, 08:29 AM
595845958559586For any interested parties I finally received the necessary components to fit my very old RCBS Carbo FL resizer to current standards so I can use my RCBS dies in my Dillon XL650 press. RCBS was kind enough to send me a decapping assembly the first time around. This consisted of a 1/4-28 decapping rod assembly and a 1/2-20 x 1/4-28 adapter. Unfortunately the adapter was incorrect and would not fit my die with the 7/16-20 threads. My second call to RCBS produced an adapter that screwed into my carbo FL die and acted as a receiver for the 1/4-28 decapping rod. The decapping rod assembly PN that was sent that contains the 1/4-28 is PN 9617 (Decapping Assembly LG). The correct adapter (7/16-20 X 1/4-28) is PN 9628.

Patrick L
01-27-2013, 07:52 PM
Glad you got it sorted out.

FYI, some older die sets (like yours) were made with the decapper as part of the expanding die. I have an older RCBS 38/357 die set like that. Sometime in the 70s/80s or so the current setup became the standard. It really didn't matter much, since everyone loaded on a single stage press.

6bg6ga
01-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Glad you got it sorted out.

FYI, some older die sets (like yours) were made with the decapper as part of the expanding die. I have an older RCBS 38/357 die set like that. Sometime in the 70s/80s or so the current setup became the standard. It really didn't matter much, since everyone loaded on a single stage press.

Actually I also have several sets of 38/357 dies. One shows a 80 date on it and is identical to my 45acp dies so in order to FL resize and decap adapter and a decapping rod need to be installed in them too. Yes, your correct in that the old die sets had a decapper/expander setup in one die.