PDA

View Full Version : Brass Particles?

Rich22
11-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Weird question

Loaded a couple hundred rounds and noticed something weird, I go and wash my hands like normal after loading and saw what looked like brass particles then saw some also in my cartridge catch bin which I will admit has not been cleaned in a long time. All produced ammo looks excellent and can find no obvious problems, scratches on brass etc. Is this normal or should I tear down the dies and inspect? Just pulled them apart and cleaned and lubed about 500 rounds ago and have not noticed this before.

Thanks

Rich

GRUMPA
11-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I get that all the time and just learned along the way to keep an eye out for tell-tale signs of small brass particles imbedding themselves in the dies.

I see it happen the most at the sizing operation where the expander plug goes thru the neck, I'll bet if you take out your expander plug you'll see that it's built up and just needs to be wiped clean.

300winmag
11-04-2012, 03:09 PM
The brass might have been belled a little to much and or the crimp to tight. Sounds like the die is shaving some around the case mouth!!! I would check that first. Keep us posted.