PDA

View Full Version : .45, 155gr SWC Tumble Lube Mold

KSCowboy
06-10-2007, 07:02 PM
I have been using the old Lee 45 caliber 155 grain SWC for practice and plinking for some time and it works fine in my 1911's. However they are 2 cavity molds and the bullets have to be sized and lubed. As these are for basic self defense practice the absolute precision accuracy of this laborious and time consuming sizing/lubing is not necessary. We're not talking about my 429421 HP's that I make for hunting in 44 special, I'm glad to take the extra time and effort with them.

I want volume and quick lubing! I use a couple other tumble lube molds in 38 caliber and am satisfied with them.

I would like to design and purchase 6 cavity molds that are of the same basic design and of the tumble lube style.

Anybody with me on this one? I've never designed a mold or ran a group buy but with a little guidance from you old pros I'll be glad to do it.

Thank you,
KSCowboy

Dave C.
06-11-2007, 07:13 PM
KSCowboy:

Have you tried using LLA on the as cast bullet you have now?
I have had good luck doing this on many non- tumble lube designs.

Dave C.

Dr. A
06-11-2007, 10:43 PM
Some of my tumble lube designs still need sizing. (In fact all do). I then tumble in Lee liquid alox. I'm just thankful I don't have to use gas checks! I go through up to 1000 a month in the WInter. Kind of hard to keep up with!

I use the 200gr. Lee SWC quite a bit. Its very accurate and easy to make. Lee already makes them in the 6 cavity molds. Its Lee's answer to H & G 68 I believe.

KSCowboy
06-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Hello fellas,

Thanks for the advice. But I have a question, what is LLA? Does that stand for Lee Liquid Alox? I've considered trying that before but just haven't. As I use these bullets in mid range loads I thought I might be able to get away with it.

KSCowboy

Dr. A
06-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, LLA is Lee liquid alox. Might also check out the proposed smaller 45 cal. above.

Johnch
06-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Yes LLA is short for Lee Liquid Alox

I have used LLA up to 1700 FPS
With no leading
I know guys that run a lot hotter , and claim not leading

But the bullets fit the barrel

John

Ricochet
06-17-2007, 06:05 PM
KSCowboy, you may prefer the light bullets, but I have been having very good success with Lee's 230 grain truncated cone tumble lube bullet tumble lubed with LLA in my 1911. It comes in a 6 holer mould that will crank out a huge volume of bullets. I like using a bullet that I can load to easily equal the old standard "hardball" factory load ballistically, and it functions well.

As for sizing, I've had mixed results with trying to use them unsized. It's possible to do, but it really works better to get one of the Lee sizing kits, push them through a .452" die and tumble them in LLA. I haven't generally been doing the recommended two-step method of lubing with LLA, sizing, then relubing with LLA, as it's messy to handle them after the first tumble. Rather, if they're a little hard to push through the die, I simply dip them in water. Works, and I dry them before tumbling in LLA. I do like to use the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die after seating, but there are mixed reviews on this as it sizes down the outside of the case with the bullet seated inside. You will definitely have to do this if you try to use unsized bullets. Otherwise you will have some oversized bullets bulging cases and causing jams.

I have a two hole mould for the Lee 452-160-RF, but haven't yet tried it in the .45. I got it for my Colt Walker replica, in which it works nicely.

KSCowboy
06-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey Ricochet!

Thanks for the info. The reason I like to use the light bullets is that it makes my wheelweight supply last longer. I get 45 bullets per pound @ 155 gr. versus 30 bullets per pound at 230 gr. So for 100 pounds of ww I get 4500 bullets versus 3000 bullets. That's really the only reason that I use these bullets.

In the past few days I have been doing a lot of shooting/experimenting with different bullets as I just bought a new Springfield XD45 Compact. The XD's don't like SWC bullets so I tried the Lee 452-160-RF bullet and it works GREAT! So now I get to still use a light bullet. I have been using this Lee 452-160-RF in 45 Long Colt for SASS for several years and really liked it there so now I just need to get another mold or two so I can cast more of them. I wish it came in a 6 holer but oh well.

I have always sized this bullet through either a RCBS or Lyman sizer/luber and have always hated the mess that the bevel base causes. But I'm going to order one of the Lee sizer kits today and try using it with LLA for both the ACP and LC.

Thanks to all of you again for your advice I really appreciate it.