PDA

View Full Version : Modify Lee push thru dies

Brasso
11-04-2012, 10:08 AM
Who on the forum modifies Lee push thru boolit sizing dies? I have a .357 die I would like to be modified to .366 for my Makorov. My mould is throwing them at .368 and they won't chamber once loaded.

Sam

Jim
11-04-2012, 10:16 AM
I've done it, but I've never taken nine grand out of one.

madsenshooter
11-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Just a matter of finding the right size drill bit, sometimes it takes a letter-size bit. I don't know about going as far as you've indicated, I generally get one that's only a few thousandths smaller than what I want and the bit, mounted in my drill press, pretty much follows along.

Dan Cash
11-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Contact goodsteel on this forum. He can fix it.

john hayslip
11-04-2012, 12:18 PM
the one I did (309-321) was harder than you know what. I chucked it in a lathe, used the drill nearest the size and then a reamer I had. Not sure either the drill or the reamer is now worth a hoot but it worked when I needed it.

454PB
11-04-2012, 12:22 PM
The Lee sizers are relatively soft and easy to open to a larger diameter, and you don't need a drill bit to open one .009" For a change that small, the old "sandpaper on a stick" trick will work in just a few minutes.

I do this in my lathe, but it can also be done on your thigh, or by chucking the "stick" in a variable speed electric drill.

Brasso
11-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks a million guys. I'll give it a try with the sandpaper and stick. What grit and type of sandpaper should I start with? If that doesn't work, I'll get hold of goodsteel.

Sam

RobsTV
11-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Paying close attention to this, as I have the same 9x18 problem.

Maybe the metal used in the Lee sizers has changed recently to something harder?
I did use 400 grit sandpaper to enlarge a .401 to .4025, and in a variable speed drill used at mostly high speed, it did not take only a few minutes, but instead around 20 to 30 minutes. Based on that, I would imagine it would take a few hours in the drill with 400 grit sandpaper. Perhaps 60 grit to get it within .002, then 400 grit to finish it up?

I'll Make Mine
11-04-2012, 03:25 PM
The flap dowel will cut faster, the closer the dowel is to the size of the hole.

I'd start with 220 or 320 grit carborundum paper, wetted with light oil. Once you're within .0015 to .002, change to 400, then 600, then plain copier paper, oiled and coated with polishing compound (6 micron aluminum oxide, then if you can still see texture, switch to 2 or 3 micron; finish up with cerium oxide rouge to a mirror finish). The loose compounds can be had in small quantities at lapidary or jewelry making suppliers; an ounce is a lifetime supply for this kind of work.

The trick to this is having an accurate method of measuring the die, and having the touch to avoid having a constriction that would cause you to go way oversize because a small area isn't getting cut.

Brasso
11-04-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks to you folks, I've completed the modification. I stopped at .365. I will load some boolits and try them at the range. I can always polish out another .001. But the cartridges seat in the barrel now. Thank you all again.

Sam

I'll Make Mine
11-04-2012, 05:33 PM
As noted, you can always take a bit more off, but it's really, really difficult to put it back. Most likely you'll need to take your mold out to .366 or even .367 for a .365 Makarov groove size, but better to shoot some and take off a little more than get the die too big and make rounds that won't chamber.

RobS
11-04-2012, 06:16 PM
the one I did (309-321) was harder than you know what. I chucked it in a lathe, used the drill nearest the size and then a reamer I had. Not sure either the drill or the reamer is now worth a hoot but it worked when I needed it.

yep and a simple heating of the die to cherry red will soften it but then again you will need to re-heat treat the die to bring back the hardness.

WyrTwister
11-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Who on the forum modifies Lee push thru boolit sizing dies? I have a .357 die I would like to be modified to .366 for my Makorov. My mould is throwing them at .368 and they won't chamber once loaded.

Sam

Take a wooden dowel rod of appropriate size / diameter . Use a hacksaw to cut a slit / slot in one end . Tear offr a strip of emery cloth , slide it into the slit , about half was the length of the strip of emery cloth .

Chuck the other end of the dowel rod into an electric grill and squirt some oil inside the die and on the emery cloth . Wind the emery cloth up on the dowel rod and insert into the die . Slowly run the drill as you move the emery cloth from one end of ( the inside ) of the die to the other . Periodically lube everything . Periodically push a bullet through the die and measure the bullet .

When you get the bullet to the size you widh , clean the die very well . You are done . You might use some wax to lube the bore of the die .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister
11-22-2012, 09:11 PM
yep and a simple heating of the die to cherry red will soften it but then again you will need to re-heat treat the die to bring back the hardness.

Pushing a led bullet through a steel die ? I wonder how hard the steel really needs to be ?

God bless
Wyr

PS If you start out with a somewhat course emery cloth , it behaves as a finer grit as the abrasive gets " worn " . Also , I wonder how smooth the bore needs to be . I am guessing the roughness , however much it is , soon fills with bullet lube ?

clodhopper
11-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Pushing a led bullet through a steel die ? I wonder how hard the steel really needs to be ?

God bless
Wyr

PS If you start out with a somewhat course emery cloth , it behaves as a finer grit as the abrasive gets " worn " . Also , I wonder how smooth the bore needs to be . I am guessing the roughness , however much it is , soon fills with bullet lube ?
My guess is the low spots on rough areas would fill with lead, then more lead would stick to it. In other words, the dreaded leading syndrome.
A smooth mirror finish would make everything glide better.

WyrTwister
11-24-2012, 10:16 AM
My guess is the low spots on rough areas would fill with lead, then more lead would stick to it. In other words, the dreaded leading syndrome.
A smooth mirror finish would make everything glide better.

Do not know ? You could be right ?

Any way , seems to not be an issue with the dies we have honed via the procedure described .

God bless
Wyr

clodhopper
11-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Do not know ? You could be right ?

Any way , seems to not be an issue with the dies we have honed via the procedure described .

God bless
Wyr

That's right sir, I have not honed lee push through dies. But certainly have reservations about leaving them rough inside.