PDA

View Full Version : 45 acp

flyingstick
06-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Well, I just bought me a new Taurus 24/7 in 45 acp. LOVE the gun! Had to sell an old Motorcycle to pay for it:-D Anyway when I did a search I found powders not recommended but none that were, So, is ther a good surplus powder for the 45 acp?

Lloyd Smale
06-10-2007, 05:09 PM
pr200 was but is no longer available. I think one of the dealers had some scotts that would probably work fine anohter option would be promo. Its just as cheap as surplus.

Dale53
06-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Flyingstick;
What in the world is a Taurus 24/7? I have a SS Taurus Tracker 4" five shooter in .45 ACP and really like the piece. I didn't like using full moon clips for general shooting, but found a GOOD solution in the use of .45 Cowboy Special cases (rimmed cases with proper headspace for the tracker and the same size, length, and capacity as .45 ACP's).

Dale53

BD
06-10-2007, 06:08 PM
The last surplus I felt was really good for general .45 acp use was HPC-18, (surplus 231). Bartlett had some of it a few years ago but never advertised it as he had more than enough steady customers willing to buy it. I have about 15 lb left. I think it was $5 or $6 a pound. The Chinese #2 will work, but it's touchy. The surplus #7 will work for full power loads if you're willing to drop them individually with a Lee Pro auto disk or a Belding and mull. It will not feed well through any rotary type measure I've found and it will bind up your Dillon measure in no time. It is very touchy at the top end. Unless something else comes up my next powder buy for the .45s is going to be Titegroup in Bulk from Grafs. I did this with a couple of friends about nine years ago.
If you buy four 8 pounders, Grafs would pay the shipping and the haz-mat. And, the rules allow 10,000 primers to ride along in the same box without going over the 50 LB wieght limit per hazmat fee. The primers put you over the $500 limit which gets you another 5% discount from Grafs resulting in the Titegroup coming in at about $11.00/lb if memory serves. As titegroup loads at 5 grains and under in the .45 acp this makes for reasonably priced shootin. It'll load any bullet weight and is very clean and predictable. I'm sure the prices are higher these days, ('specially the primers), but it still may be the best way to go.
Did I mention I's ah yankee?
BD

BD
06-10-2007, 06:15 PM
I just read the thread about Ramshot Silhouette below and that my well be the way to go. How much does it take to make major with a 200 grain SWC?
BD

flyingstick
06-10-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out. Dale53, The Taurus PT 24/7 is a semi-auto pistol that Taurus makes in several caliber's. .40 cal. being the most popular. My son bought one in the .40 before he left for Iraq. I liked the gun so much I bought it in .45 acp. Taurus claims to hold the .45 speed shooting records with this gun. I don't know much about it but the Taurus guns seem to have a very good reputation.

Bodydoc447
06-11-2007, 12:05 AM
You also might look at Alliant Promo in the 8 lb jugs (only way it is sold). It has the same burn rate as Red Dot but a different density. If you have any Red Dot loads for the 45 ACP, a jug or two of Promo might be the way to go.

Doc