PDA

View Full Version : Rossi really should fix this issue!

jh45gun
11-04-2012, 05:52 AM
Well I know why the guy traded in the Ranch Hand I bought. He did not want to mess with it as he could not hit anything. Now I knew going into this the Ranch Hand had a reputation for shooting high on the lowest setting of the sight elevator. How High? Well this gun at 25 yards was shooting about 18 inches high and that is with the Elevator on the lowest setting! Taking the Elevator off only changed it lower by a couple of inches. So you either buy a higher front sight or a replacement rear sight or both. Or file the rear sight which I did. Gun was also shooting to the right so that was an easy fix by drifting the front sight over to the right. That got it even and took care of the Windage issue. I asked my friend to bring a suitable needle file to file the sight when we went shooting but it was a cheap one and wore out before I could get the sight filed enough. I could hit the aiming point by taking just the very top of the bead in the very bottom of the notch by now but I still needed to go deeper. So when I got back to town I went and bought a good set of Stanley Needle files (they call them hobby files) and finished the job. I will go out this morning hunting and bring the Ranch Hand along and finish sighting it in.
It is accurate from what little shooting I did once I could hit the aiming point with the extreme fine sight picture. I was surprised when I got done shooting at the target I shot it at a black plastic square thing about a foot square some one left at the gravel pit half way up a sand hill. I ranged it at 128 yards. Shooting off hand and using the very fine sight picture I was a foot low. Using the whole bead I was a foot high. The bead covered up this square at that distance so the gun would have to be regulated to shoot at that distance using a 6:00 hold which is what I was using. There is no doubt in my mind that using a rest you could consistently hit a target at that range.

Considering that this gun has proven to be accurate others have shown this to be as well, Rossi is doing the gun a disservice by not putting the correct sights on it. I am positive the guy that owned this gun before I did and traded it off has nothing good to say about it which is unfortunate. I wonder how many folks have done the same thing? Rossi/Taurus are you listening?

On the positive side the gun's trigger is great and the action is smooth and the gun handles the recoil well it is fun and pleasant to shoot. I like it. I think it is unfortunate that Rossi has not addressed this issue as it is well known on the internet these guns do shoot high as is.

rexherring
11-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Taurus and Rossi seem to have that problem. My Rossi .38 does have adjustables which work fine but my Taurus PT145 didn't and shot low and right with any load I fed it. Couldn't get it on paper at 15 yds. It now has Williams Fire Sights.

jh45gun
11-04-2012, 04:46 PM
I shot it again today with the sight filed down and I can hit POI at 25 yards good enough for now for shooting at a deer close range. I also just cut "ears" down so instead of a full buck horn sight it is cut down more like a regular sight. This helped a lot so the sight picture looks more normal than looking at the bottom of a long slot.

fishnbob
11-06-2012, 09:46 AM
My last Rossi 45 Colt that I bought shot 12" high @ 50 yds with the rear sight adjusted all the way down. I had to buy a Skinner tall sight and file it down to hit the target. I wondered who test fired the rifle and sent it out like that. I also wondered how many were sent out with that sight problem. Maybe they set it for a 300 yd zero.LOL

Tazman1602
11-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Man I don't know WHY Taurus hasn't fixed that. A few years back they made a re-pop of a 1906 Winchester .22 pump I bought. Nice little rifle but shoots HIGH!!!

Got to pick up a new Rossi 92 in .357 today and I am sure I'll have to do the sight work right off the bat.

It's all over the forums about these guns shooting high -- great reviews otherwise but they shoot high.

Doesn't matter, I love taking the blasted things apart and making them right............

Art

thegatman
11-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I have a Rossi in 38/357. I just put on different sights and it is right on at 50 yards. I have no problems with any of my Taurus pistols but this rifle was before Taurus bought the company.

Four Fingers of Death
11-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I have seen this problem with the stainless 44Mags in recent years. My one shot high with everything,I removed the elevator (yeah, yeah, I know, I put it in a safe place so I wouldn't lose it :( :( ) and it still wasn't right, I had to aim low. As I was using it for cowboy action, this got forgotten in the heat of the action, so the rifle has been a safe queen for a few years now. Two of my friends shoot identical rifles and they have the elevators removed as well (I suppose they have them stored in a safe place also, lol).

jh45gun
11-06-2012, 04:37 PM
I have a Rossi in 38/357. I just put on different sights and it is right on at 50 yards. I have no problems with any of my Taurus pistols but this rifle was before Taurus bought the company.

Does not matter now that Taurus owns them mine came out of the factory in March it still had the shooting high problem. The gun is great in every other aspect just the sight issue is a turn off.

Tazman1602
11-06-2012, 06:56 PM
I got one brand new in the box today in .357 and promptly took it, cleaned it, and put 50 Hornady 158 grain bullets downrange.

I expected the sight issue so I wasn't surprised but it's still there. 6-8" high at 100 yards and 3-5" at 25 yards.

Off to skinner sights I'm thinking when the cash starts flowing again.

OH! And anyone who says a 1-30" twist won't stabilize 158 grain bullets is just plain wrong, handled them fine, rifle is accurate -- that's relative, to my old eyes and the fact I don't use iron sights that much if at all.

It's a very nice rifle though..................

Art

Tazman1602
11-07-2012, 05:48 PM
OK guys, I just got off the phone with Braztech/Rossi/Taurus.

I've got a couple of Taurus rifles, a model 62 .22 pump and my new M92 in .357 mag -- they both have the same exact issue, they shoot WAY high. After talking to Rossi and explaining the issue they were unable to give me any information whatsoever. That means for those of us who care and want to make it right, we are the Engineers. I even asked if they could tell me what bullet weight and speed the factory sights were regulated for and was told that was proprietary Taurus information and they *would* tell me if they had it but they didn't. They told me they'd be happy to send me a tag to ship it back to them so they could test it for accuracy -- there's nothing wrong with accuracy! It just shoots high with .357 mag! They even looked to see if they could send me a higher front sight, but claimed they didn't have a higher front sight to fit it.

In my model 92 I may occasionally shoot .38 Special as a plinking load --- but that isn't why I bought it. I'm shooting 158 grain Hornady XTP's right now at right around max, but will move to the same grain bullet in cast as soon as I slug my barrel.

SOOOOO, if anyone is interested, I took some *initial* measurements from my 92's barrel and sights and here's what I came up with:

Barrel at front sight = .830
Barrel at rear sight = .830
Rear sight height = .365
CURRENT Front sight height = .230
Sight Radius 24" barrel = 21.5"

Plugging the numbers into Brownells sight height calculator (damn have computers made us lazy or what?) I come up with a *proper* FRONT sight height of .365, in Marbles sight chart there's a .375 front sight and that might put us in the middle of the rear ladder.

Anyone else care to take measurements from their octagon barrel 92's and see if they come up with the same thing?

Here is Brownells sight height calculator for those who are interested:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1318 ... Calculator (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13186/GunTechdetail/Sight_Height_Calculator)

IF we can figure this one out maybe it should be a sticky? Or has someone already figured out how to cure this easily and inexpensively?

A new front sight will be about $15 and a Lyman tang is $100. This ought to be something we can work out............

Round barrels are going to measure different diameters from front to back I'm guessing but mine is octagonal 24"

Art

Mooseman
11-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Sounds like it has long range sights for 100 to 150 yards to compensate for bullet drop. You didnt say what distance you were shooting at.
As a test , try a small piece of 1/8 brass rod on top of the front sight , and a little clear silicone adhesive or other glue that is removable to hold it in place. That will give you .125 taller sight in front and lower the barrel and POI.

Then you will have an Idea what what is needed to correct it.

Rich

gbrown
11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
There was another thread about the Rossi a couple of months back. Several people expressed the same thing as this thread. They shoot high! At 50 yds, mine shoots 8 inches high and at 100 yds, about 6 inches high. Was wondering about my eyes, but started holding top of front blade about half way down the rear slot (at lowest setting) and starting getting bullseyes. Haven't filed anything, yet, but thinking about it.

Four Fingers of Death
11-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Good idea Mooseman!

Tazman1602
11-08-2012, 08:48 AM
Sorry for being incomplete Mooseman. I'm shooting at 25 and 100 yards.

At 25 yards it's 3-4" high and at 100 yards it's 6-8" high with full bore .357 158 grain bullet loads. 2400 is my powder of choice.

I'm still working on this and will keep you updated.

I'm butt deep in sight height correction formulas and please excuse my ignorance with iron sights, I am a pretty fair gunsmith on certain guns but Rossi and iron sights in particular are a new venture for me...........

Art

Four Fingers of Death
11-08-2012, 09:10 AM
I'm butt deep in sight height correction formulas and please excuse my ignorance with iron sights, I am a pretty fair gunsmith on certain guns but Rossi and iron sights in particular are a new venture for me...........

Art

'A highly unappreciated field of endeavour' as Clint put it in Heartbreak Ridge I think it was.

Tazman1602
11-08-2012, 09:59 PM
LOL FFOD!

Yup been busy today and haven't played with the sights yet. I have a handle on what's going on.

Evidently iron sights to Rossi are not important, there can't be a dime worth of material in them --- but I didn't pay $1000 for the rifle either and out of the box accuracy is fine.

Got the barrel slugged today and it slugged right at .357 which kind of surprised me in a good way, now I've just got to figure which bullets I cast will chamber in it.

Ranch Dog over on his forum -- the Rossi Rifleman forums slugged a few of his Rossi's and his .357 rifle slugged at .355

These are inexpensive, nice little rifles for the price and if you don't mind having to tune them a bit.

Don't get my wrong -- I LOVE my Marlins but the prices on them have just been out the flipping roof since the Remingtion buy out.

The big one has been the JM barrel stamped Marlins -- the price on those has gone out the roof also dangit.

Going to *try* to get out and shoot some 125 grain XTP's and see how they do with the sights.

Art

Four Fingers of Death
11-09-2012, 07:42 AM
"JM barrel stamped Marlins "

What are these?

Tazman1602
11-09-2012, 08:32 AM
If you look at the original Marlins -- the ones that were produced in New Haven CT for over 100 years, there's a little round circle with a "JM" stamped in the barrel.

The "new" Marlins (Cerberus via Remington bought the company a few years back, closed down the New Haven plant, and moved everything to Illion, NY where Remingtons are produced...) are stamped "REP" in the little circle.

From what I understand -- I've never owned one of the new ones, when they made the plant move they produced poo-poo for the first couple of years but have since gotten QC under control.

But dang man, $900 US for a new Marlin lever gun? Yes they can be had for less but list is somewhere north of $500 now which is just too much to pay.

That being said will I have over $900 in this Rossi if you count my labor at $10/hour after I get done stroking it and making it extremely nice? Most likely, but that is my choice.

Art

"JM barrel stamped Marlins "

What are these?

Four Fingers of Death
11-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks, I will have to have a look at my three Marlins (1894/30-30, 336.30-30, 444)! Dang! it's just after midnight and the Marlins are all downstairs in the safe. Job for tomorrow! Nite!

northmn
11-09-2012, 01:32 PM
I had the same problem with the Rossi I had in 357. Now that I have tried fiber optic sights I think I would just replace the front with a good fiber optic green. I also wish they came drilled for a receiver sight.

DP

Iron Mike Golf
11-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks, I will have to have a look at my three Marlins (1894/30-30, 336.30-30, 444)! Dang! it's just after midnight and the Marlins are all downstairs in the safe. Job for tomorrow! Nite!

How could you sleep not knowing????

Four Fingers of Death
11-10-2012, 06:29 AM
How could you sleep not knowing????

Whoops! Been as busy as a one legged man in an posterior kicking contest today and forgot to check the Marlins. Just read your post and dropped everything about ten minutes before my wife was about to serve dinner and raced downstairs.

All three have the JM mark,

The 1975 made 336 is nice and clear and the circle is clear and about 3/4 there.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/Marlin33630-30.jpg

The 444 is a bit wonky and has no circle, just the JM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/Marlin444.jpg

The 1894 is extraordinarily wonky and the m looks like it has been stamped twice and tiny bits of metal have been smashed out around the letters. :(
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/Leverguns/Marlin189444Mag-1.jpg

Anyway, they all were made in the old factory it seems, although they were getting more and more sloppy as the years rolled by.

What do the letters on both markings stand for?

Tazman1602
11-10-2012, 08:48 AM
FFOD I REALLY don't know exactly what they mean except those are the original New Haven produced Marlins.

Now being they are so OLD and everyone knows the NEW is ALWAYS better, I think you should just ditch them so you can buy the GOOD new ones.

I'm willing to give you $200 US for each and pay shipping............

Art

PS -- Even if you were that gullible I wouldn't do that to you....<grin>

Four Fingers of Death
11-10-2012, 09:34 AM
HaHa! The 1894 and the 444 are pretty recent production, but the 336 is a 1975 made one. It was bought new from a friend who used to own a gunshop in town by a local stockman who had a horse roll on him, taking him out of action with a busted leg and an 1892 Winchester 44/40 that was more bent than a banana. When he was fit enough to return to work, the stockman bought the rifle off my mate, walked down the street and got the bootmaker (he is retired now and his son still runs the business in the same shop) Frank, to make him a saddle scabbard while he had lunch in the hotel.

When the job was finished, he saddled up and rode out of town. The blueing is all worn on one side from the scabbard (which got sold with the saddles, horses etc when the old guy retired). It means more to me than any fancy new one could. The bore is perfect, always cleaned after use and oiled apparently.

I haven't had a chance to run any lead through it yet, but it shoots good with those shiny things that someone gave me. They are all gone now, it will get a thorough cleaning to remove any copper fouling and it will see it's day's out (well, while I'm still kicking anyway) with cast boolits only.

I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't pick up a Ranch Dawg mould while they were available, but a friend who is a bit of a lurker and an occasional poster on this site and lives in my town has one, I might have to borrow it occasionally. I have a small stash he gave me, we'll see how they go.

Best be getting back to high shooting Rossis before we get sin binned for hijackery!

Salmoneye
11-10-2012, 12:36 PM
J.M. = John Marlin

That was Marlin's proof load test mark for a long time...

REP = Remington English Proof

Four Fingers of Death
11-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Maybe the heavy handed factory worker that stamped the 1894 is a true historian and not just an oaf. John Marlin's middle initial was M. Maybe he was stamping John M Marlin :)

dgslyr
11-18-2012, 11:05 PM
I bought a Rossi 357 a couple of years ago.Couldn't hit the paper at 50 yards.So I put up a MUCH larger target.2 feet high and 2 feet left.Sent it back to them.They sent it back with a taller front sight hanging out of the dove tail .100".Sent it back it came back with the front sight centered in the dovetail.I tried it at 100,couldn't hit the paper.Again I put up a MUCH larger target.Still couldn't hit the paper.I sent it back.They would not give me my money back so I got another rifle after nine months.When I got home with it I took it out of the box ,took pic's and put it on gunbroker.Sold it for what I paid for the first one.An exporter bought it and sent it to Australia.

Four Fingers of Death
11-20-2012, 04:20 AM
Thats a shame, my 357 Rossi is near enough the cheapest and best rifle I have ever had, never missed a beat. You must have got a Monday morning rifle.

Something like that is enought to turn you off the breed, that's for sure.

Tazman1602
11-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Seem to be the norm for the new rifles FFOD. With any luck in the next few weeks I'll be able to tell people what front sight works with this as I have a few that came in. While I'm at it we're going to spring it also and smooth up some things -- I know I know, just can't keep my hands off a good rifle.........

Cast boolits with the proper nose length to feed right seem to be another, nose length of around .300 seems to be OK and Tom at Accurate Molds has been very helpful to me with this so I'm most likely going to get him to make me a mold just for this gun.

You are right though, the price of these guns, even if you've got to put a little work into them is outstanding......

Art

Ragnarok
11-25-2012, 11:23 AM
I bought a stainless 20" M92 carbine in .44 mag a couple summers back. It shot somewhat high with the factory sights..but not real bad.

Taking the rear sight elevator slide out got the cool carbine really close(windage was perfect from factory). I didn't really want a higher front blade..so I worked the plain rear sight over. I dremeled the rear sight down and made a 'semi-buckhorn' style out of it..and re-cut the notch...then ground the bottom of the slider/elevator ramp down.

A couple shooting sessions and a bit of fine-tuning to the rear sight got me on target without a lot of effort or money involved.

I do believe the .44 mag Rossi is/was wearing an identical rear sight to a Rossi pump .22 I had owned years and years ago!! I also noted that while my new Rossi Carbine had plain-Jane sights...some models of Rossi carbines had fancier sights at the gunstore and cost a few bucks more.

As far as it goes...my stainless .44 mag carbine wasn't just terribly 'off' on sight regulation from the box...but it did shoot higher than the rear sight allowed compensation for. I could've just removed my sight elevator and got on with it. But fixing the factory rear sight was fairly easy..and I didn't even remove it from the rifle to work it over...just slid a sheet of cardboard under the rear sight and dremeled away.

jh45gun
11-25-2012, 03:41 PM
I preferred to use small hobby type files or needle files as some are called as dremel tools can get away from you no matter how careful you may be.

Four Fingers of Death
11-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Everyone I know with a 44Mag SS Rossi like mine, has removed the sight elevator and put it in a safe place. As it turns out, these 'safe places' we have chosen, are very safe as none of us can find them! :(

jh45gun
11-26-2012, 12:01 AM
LOL I hate when that happens.

KCSO
11-26-2012, 12:33 PM
Back in the late 60's the Rossi's had a flat post front sight and a flat topped rear sight that gave a nice patridge sight picture and were generally dead on, than the cowboys came along and we went back 100 years in sighting. I keep replacemtn sights on hand for the Rossi's and usually slip in a .340 bead right away.

KCSO
11-26-2012, 04:27 PM
With the standard rear sight a .340 is the right height and a marbles long tang rear in # 67 or 68 will be right for the rear.

Four Fingers of Death
11-27-2012, 02:26 AM
LOL I hate when that happens.

The Rossi that I am using in my avitar is an older (no idea how old) 357 that I got real cheap. The rear sights are not cowboy correct and are a sheet steel set up, bent into a 90deg angle with a groove punched in. The foresight is a barrel band fixed sight from memory. The set uplooks like sin, but is a great sight picture, easy to pick up, great on running targets and just plain ol' works a treat. Unlike the silly buckhorn rear with the tiny groove and huge distracting wings and invisible brass(ish) foresight which is dovetailed into the Barrel and you can feel the cleaning rod bump over it (or under it to be more precise). Shoot at it with the 357, you got it! Shoot at it with the 44 and it is a bit of a guessing game. Useless.

Tazman1602
11-27-2012, 07:00 AM
For 38/357 or 44/45/44-40 KC? My 38/357 was almost a foot high at 100 yards with magnum loads and 158 grain Hornady XTP's. Haven't used cast yet, just got some loaded up.

Art

With the standard rear sight a .340 is the right height and a marbles long tang rear in # 67 or 68 will be right for the rear.