PDA

View Full Version : Win model 88 in .308 Win

atr
11-03-2012, 06:43 PM
A friend just bought over a new purchase...a Win model 88
I have never see or heard of this rifle,,,what can you all tell me about it
are they worth looking for at the local gun shop?

thanks
atr

ReloaderFred
11-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I have one in my safe, along with a Model 100 in the same caliber that hasn't been fired. The Model 88's were discontinued by Winchester in 1963. They weren't bad rifles, but if you're not careful, you can pinch your finger when levering it.

It's worth about $300 in 60% condition, up to $995 in 100% condition, according to the 33rd Edition of Blue Book of Gun Values.

Hope this helps.

Fred

45-70 Chevroner
11-03-2012, 10:01 PM
If you find one at a gun shop and in even fair condition you will probably have to cough up at least a grand. My grandson has one in 308 and he had it appraised, the dealer offered him 800 on the spot. So if a dealer is willing to cough up that much you know he is going to ask a lot more for it or he wants it for his collection. Another thing is they are not real plentyful. Dealers don't go by the Blue Book.

turmech
11-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Somehow my interest has peaked in these rifles as well lately. I have been checking them out on gunbroker. Some decent looking ones can be bought in the $600 range on there. Some however are attempting to be sold in the $1000 range and some for much more. The ones chambered in 358 and 284 bring several thousand as they are rare.

As far as being discontinues in 63 my limited research (which I could be wrong as it is limited) has came up with the stocks changed in 64 from the simpler checkering to a more decorative checkering with oak leafs in the pattern. The cheaper guns on gunbroker have the more decorative checkering.

Dean D.
11-03-2012, 11:17 PM
They are a great rifle Art. My uncle had one, it belongs to my cousin now. I hunted with it quite a bit as a kid. The only weakness on them is the stock. Not much wood along the sides around the magazine/action.

11-03-2012, 11:47 PM
The 88 is terrific. Fast lever action with a rotating bolt head. Locks up like a bolt action rifle. It's as acurate as most of the better bolt action rifles. Hunting with one is a joy. Easy carry, fast to the shoulder and, as I said, acurate. Mine is just inside 1/2 MOA in .308 everytime I do my part. I got mine after a decade or two of searching half heartedly. If I had known how great they are, I would have pressed the search.

Piedmont
11-04-2012, 02:36 AM
They were produced from 1955 until 1973. The pre 64s have nicer stocks and cut checkering.

Tim357
11-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Based on the one my dad had years ago, the trigger was absolutely horrible! I've never used such a mushy trigger ever.

uscra112
11-04-2012, 10:27 PM
Based on the one my dad had years ago, the trigger was absolutely horrible! I've never used such a mushy trigger ever.

Dittos. And it was too long and heavy for a brush gun. Let mine go in a trade years ago. Judging by the prices people are quoting here, I guess I should have held on and sold at the peak of the market, huh?

bb07
11-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Funny, I just found this thread. A friend got one recently, made in 1958. I cleaned it for him and in the process became intimately familiar with it. It's definitely a bit of a challenge getting it back together. Luckily for me (and the owner:)) I researched it before attempting to disassemble it, and am glad I did. Anyone that's ever worked on these rifles knows what I'm talking about.
Some additional info here: http://www.wisnersinc.com/additional_info/winchesterl_88_100.htm

http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/long_guns/Winchester-Model-88-lever-action-rifle2480-1.html

bob208
11-15-2012, 10:41 AM
i have never been able to understand the fasination with them. they are clubby don't shoot well have a long leaver throw. with all that said when i go to auctions if there is an 88 there it will be the top bidded rifle.

i have been a winchester collector for 30 years. i do not eown an 88 and have no intrest in owning one. the savage 99 is a way better rifle.