PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw, check muffler bolts.

44man
11-03-2012, 05:21 PM
I was cutting with my Husky saw and it got noisy. The muffler fell off.
I got Allen wrenches but one hole was stripped out. NOW WHAT?
I had to drill and tap the engine for 1/4-28. Then make studs with 1/4-28 on one side, a small shoulder for a stop and turn the rest to 3/16". Then cut 10-32 threads on the other end. I put the studs in tight and slid the parts on and used self locking nuts. I had to drill the aluminum shield 1/4" to clear the shoulder.
Works fine.
Keep the bolts tight!

Superfly
11-03-2012, 06:19 PM
Did you clean out the muffler and open the ports up on the exhust side and clean up the casting flange on the head also.

If not u should have, It is free power

LAH
11-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Another saw hot-rod.

runfiverun
11-03-2012, 08:06 PM
heck yeah, i woulda probably built a tuned exhaust pie and lowered the muffler.

LAH
11-03-2012, 08:07 PM
And yet another.

Mal Paso
11-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Carb Bolts are much more exciting.

The Stihl 041 would like to vibrate the Carb bolts loose. You know you've let it go too long when suddenly the saw is running over 12,000 rpm, the Off Switch No Longer Works and you're looking for a log to bury the bar in to stall it.

LAH
11-03-2012, 09:07 PM
suddenly the saw is running over 12,000 rpm, the off switch no longer works and you're looking for a log to bury the bar in to stall it.

hee hee

historicfirearms
11-03-2012, 09:12 PM
I had my Husky 351 modded like Superfly said. A local guy builds race saws and he did it for me. It makes a darn nice firewood saw now, but absolutely need ear plugs now!

Mk42gunner
11-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Carb Bolts are much more exciting.

The Stihl 041 would like to vibrate the Carb bolts loose. You know you've let it go too long when suddenly the saw is running over 12,000 rpm, the Off Switch No Longer Works and you're looking for a log to bury the bar in to stall it.

Its even worse when your saw is running wide open and an air cleaner adapter nut gets sucked through the intake. Can you say sudden stop? I still haven't taken it apart to see just how bad the damage is......

New to me Husky 141, good little saw until that happened.

Robert

44man
11-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Did you clean out the muffler and open the ports up on the exhust side and clean up the casting flange on the head also.

If not u should have, It is free power
Everything was clean, no carbon at all. Been using Opti 2.
I remember a friend long ago with his Triumph motorcycle. He would be miles from home and the carb would fall off! :mrgreen:
I ran and still use Solo saws and never had a single problem except finding parts like the chain drive clutch. My big saw must be 40 years old. Almost no dealers for a great machine.

docone31
11-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Years ago, in Model Airplane News, I believe, there was an article on building a small supercharger. So, with Blue Homelite in hand, I figuired, why noy?
I had a machinest buddy, and we built it, and put it on the saw.
For the short time It worked, It CRANKED! Then BAM! No saw.
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
A memory.