PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question time

white eagle
11-03-2012, 04:46 PM
What makes a semi auto (1911) a single action or a double action??
seems to me that there would be no bearing at all [smilie=s:

Hickory
11-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Single action=cock hammer.
Double action=pull trigger.

white eagle
11-03-2012, 04:56 PM
I know thats how a revo works but how can a 1911 do the same you just pull trigger and go

Hickory
11-03-2012, 05:19 PM
When the hammer is at rest, with both types of semi-auto handguns,
with the 1911 the hammer must be cocked before it can be fired. By either working the slide or cocking the hammer manually.

With a double action semi-auto handgun there is no need to cock the hammer to make it fire.
Some semi-autos do not have an exposed hammer to cock, they are almost always double action. A double action can fire when the hammer or striker is in the rest position and by pulling the trigger.

AnthonyB
11-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Colt had a 1911 pattern DA, and I believe Para did/does as well. I wouldn't call either of them a 1911.
Tony

ReloaderFred
11-03-2012, 07:57 PM
In semi-auto pistols, there are single action, double action, and double/single action.

As noted, a single action must have the hammer cocked prior to firing. A double action can be fired with the hammer forward, and a double/single action will fire the first shot with the hammer down, but all following shots are fired single action, since the hammer remains back after the first shot.

There are many examples of all three designs.

Hope this helps.

Fred

BCRider
11-03-2012, 08:49 PM
A handy way of remembering it is that a double action does two things as you pull the trigger. It first pushes the hammer back and then it releases it. Thus "double" action for two actions to achieve one firing. A single action trigger only does a "single" thing, it releases the hammer.

It's all far more obvious with a double action revolver. The shooter can either pull the trigger in the double action mode in which case the first part of the trigger pull pushes the hammer back before release. Or they can thumb cock the hammer and use a single action trigger pull.

The difference with the 1911 is that the slide cycling automatically cocks the hammer for you after the first shot

MtGun44
11-05-2012, 02:29 AM
A single action trigger does a single thing, it ONLY releases the hammer.

A double action trigger does two things, it cocks AND releases the hammer.

Bill