PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Taurus 445 in .44 Spl?

palmettosunshine
11-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Hello everyone, I have tried searching but I'm either doing wrong (most likely) or there isn't much on here about these revolvers. I would attach a link to budsgunshop but I'm not sure its allowed.

Been thinking of another .44 Spl that I can have fun with and carry some as well. Does anyone here have any personal experience with these? Please understand I'm not asking about Taurus' reputation as a whole or your 3rd cousin's uncle's buddy who knew a guy that knew a guy that didn't like it.

I'd love to hear from anyone that owns, has owned or shot one of these. Thanks!

richhodg66
11-03-2012, 06:38 PM
I just bought a Taurus .44 special a week or so back. It's (I think) a model 431, four inch underlug barrel with fixed sights.

I shot it for the first time today using the Lee 240 grain TLSWC and a mid level charge of Unique. It shot pretty well, but I think I can play around and make it shoot a little better. On the whole, I like it very much. A lot easier to shoot than my Bulldog.

EMC45
11-03-2012, 06:47 PM
I have the 431 4in. It likes a Lee 200gr. RNFP over 6gr. Titegroup.

richhodg66
11-03-2012, 07:10 PM
I have the 431 4in. It likes a Lee 200gr. RNFP over 6gr. Titegroup.

Thanks for that bit of info. Mine grouped well today but high (maybe 4-5 inches at 10 yards). Kinda thought I'd try a lighter bullet. The day I bought the gun, I also found a single cavity Lee mold in the discontinued 208 grain Wadcutter they used to make. It might be what it needs.

I'll try it with some manstopper loads eventually, but this is mainly a plinker/field gun in my opinion, I have .357s for two legged varmints.

krag35
11-03-2012, 07:32 PM
The one I had liked the Lee 200gr RNFP over Unique. Light, Handy, Accurate, wish I would have never gotten rid of it.

richhodg66
11-03-2012, 07:41 PM
I have molds for both the Lyman 215 grainer and RCBS 225 grainer. Both are gas check designs unfortunately. Might have to look at that Lee RNFP.

I think I've highjacked his thread now, I'm sorry. I hope someone with a 445 chimes in soon.

Houndog
11-04-2012, 08:56 AM
I've got a 445 and like it! It shoots an RCBS 240KT boolet cast of 50/50 WW/pure over 6.5 Unique in Starline brass very well.

palmettosunshine
11-04-2012, 11:25 AM
I think I've highjacked his thread now, I'm sorry.

And that's ok! I'm looking for a replacement for my Bulldog but I really couldn't say why. Well, actually I do know why. It is getting weak (springs) and doesn't reliably go boom so I won't carry it till it gets fixed. I've had the shipping label on my desk for months to return it to Charter Arms, guess I'm just lazy.

Maybe I should have asked has anyone bought a new gun instead of fixing one?

My Bulldog loves the Lee RNFP with 4.5 Gr of Trailboss.

Houndog, how's the recoil (subjective, I know) and the overall feel of the gun?

richhodg66
11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
May I ask when your Bulldog was made? Mine has to be 25-30 years old, and Dad has one about the same age. Granted, neither of us have pounded hundreds of thousands of rounds through either gun, but I like mine and he likes his a lot and we never had any problems with them. Seems like I hear bad mouthing of them all the time and wonder if it's because of all the management change overs and reorganizations they've done over the years and maybe later ones had bad quality.

I like the Bulldog, but there's no question that this Taurus is a much more substantial pistol. I cast up some Lee 208 Wadcutters last night, the lube is drying on them, I hope to have a good load established soon.

TCLouis
11-04-2012, 09:26 PM
I have the 431 3" and it loved a load with Lee 200 RNFP. I lost the slip that had the load data so I have no idea of what powder or the charge weight.

Seems to be doing pretty well with the GB 250 RNFP and AA#5, but not as accurate as the 200 grainer load was. It would be dandy carry gun except for the weight.

The "new" SS Bulldog would be better carry gun if it went bang reliably and the little hammer block pawl had not broken off and fallen inside blocking the gun.

palmettosunshine
11-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Rich, I want to say mine's somewhere in the 25-30 old age range as well. If memory serves (yeah, right) I bought it sometime in the late 80's and may have even been in the early 90's but those were hazy days. It was nowhere near new when I bought it, had some wear (it had spent a lot of time in a holster) but was still tight. I love shooting it now that I reload for it. The Speer Gold Dot HP that I carry in it aren't much fun to practice with and are WAY too darn expensive now. When I first started reloading for it last year I had some Failure to Fire in a few of my reloads. Now it had never failed to go boom before so I can't say whether my loads were to blame (most likely) or it's just old and worn and in need of new springs. It failed the pencil test miserably so I won't carry it as my CCW until I'm 100% confident in it again. The nice folks at Charter Arms actually answer their phone and were awesome to deal with when I inquired about sending it back to refurbished. I just simply don't ever seem to get around to it.

I was surfing Bud's site and saw the Taurus and wondered how it stacked up. I guess I need to just get off my lazy butt and send the Bulldog to Charter and not worry about another revolver right now. But then again....

Guesser
11-05-2012, 04:07 PM
My Taurus 441, 6" performs best with the Lee 214 gr. SWC cast soft and loaded to 850 FPS+/-.

EMC45
11-05-2012, 06:37 PM
BTW I chronoed the 6gr. Titegroup load and it was clipping along at 799 FPS for a 5 shot avg.

gwpercle
11-05-2012, 09:26 PM
I have the 455 , it's a 45 acp , 5 shot , 2 inch bbl. , fixed sight, and it has a ported bbl. I like it a lot and enjoy shooting it. I have several 1911 type semi-auto's but the little revolver is my hands down favorite. I can shoot it just as accurately as the full sized guns ...I mean it's kind of scarey the tight groups it will shoot....and there is just something way cool about a big bore snub nosed revolver. Easy to carry too.

If you can find one get it , I'm sure you will like it. and in 44 special you wont have to fool with the full moon clips that are required for rimless rounds.

gary

Houndog
11-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Houndog, how's the recoil (subjective, I know) and the overall feel of the gun?

The closest thing I own to compare it to is a S&W model 19 loaded heavy. I just wish S&W or Ruger would make a comparible gun!