PDA

View Full Version : Wz29

tbierley
11-03-2012, 01:45 PM
I am going to look at a Wz29 today. It is a all matching and a SCW the wood is 85% and the bluing is about the same. What is the gun worth? Please help

Dutchman
11-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Nobody can give you any kind of valid answer without seeing the firearm in question. I don't know your level of experience with military bolt rifles so how you asses it may be far different than how I would assess it. The Polish Mausers are not so common anymore so there's a level of scarcity on the market for such rifles. But that means nothing without seeing it first.

Since you have no knowledge or familiarity with this particular rifle you might well under-value it. If I wanted one real bad I might over-value it. Market value might be somewhere inbetween.

Dutch

tbierley
11-03-2012, 07:48 PM
I went today and traded a 91/59 that I had for years for this Wz29. I need to know what these numbers are for on the reciver. The set of numbers close to the barrel end match the numbers on the barrelI do not what the other set of numbers are. There is not a import mark anywere. The bore is perfect there is no rust or pitting. I will post more pics later.

Dutchman
11-04-2012, 07:42 AM
The photos aren't big enough to see any numbers...?

Looks pretty decent overall. The configuration of this rifle can be found both with straight and bent bolts. It is similar to the Kar98a carbine.

I've owned one of these in the distant past so I'm somewhat familiar with the model. Try and show all the markings on the receiver and numbers on the rifle and bolt.

Dutch

izzyjoe
11-04-2012, 09:21 AM
that's strange, cause it has a strait bolt, and has a cut out for a bent handle. someone may have changed stocks. look's like a nice rifle, should be an exellent boolit shooter!

tbierley
11-04-2012, 09:46 AM
The Poles used the same stock for turned bolt and straight bolts.

Smitty's Retired
11-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Tim, I will come by later in the week and look at it. If it has the bolt cut out, it may be wartime issue or post war. Most Pre-War didn't have the cut out. Can't make out the markings. Is it a "Radom" or "F B Radom"? If it is the original Polish bolt, they were originally in the white, but many have been blued in later years. These are also hard to find with the original cleaning rod. The infantry rifle came with a straight bolt, the calvery version was the only one with the bent bolt. The Poles used many second hand and refurbished parts during their production, so sometimes all may not seem to match. See you later in the week.

Combat Diver
11-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Couple other points

When Germany overran Poland, many of the short rifles were converted to G29/40 specifications by Austrian arms plants. The use of Polish bayonets was quite widespread, helping to alleviate the chronic shortages felt by the Wehrmacht.

Wehrmacht pressed the wz29 into service as the Gewehr 298

CD

UBER7MM
11-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Couple other points

When Germany overran Poland, many of the short rifles were converted to G29/40 specifications by Austrian arms plants. The use of Polish bayonets was quite widespread, helping to alleviate the chronic shortages felt by the Wehrmacht.

Wehrmacht pressed the wz29 into service as the Gewehr 298

CD

As stated, many Polish Mausers were reworked a in the Austrian Styer and Puch plants. One indication is "660" stampted on the breech. The example I've seen has Nazi amorer's eagles etc, and the factory name on left side of the action was scrubbed, also stamped "1939".

I don't think the Germans were too worried about converting all of their captured Mausers to conform with K98 design specs. I've seen many WWII documentaries with German soldiers carrying "straight bolt" Mausers.

Enjoy your new purchase,