PDA

View Full Version : My first Arkansas Archery Deer

winelover
11-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Since relocating to Arkansas the beginning of September, I've been spending time getting to know my acreage as far as deer movement is concerned. Yesterday morning it paid off and I connected with this 8 pointer.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_91705095014d6d2e3.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=7242)

Funny how things work out. I got up later than usual and hemmed and hawed about even going out. The day before, I pulled a back muscle and wasn't sure I could draw my bow.:groner: Figured I'd go out anyways cause it's about time for the rut to start.

Saw a doe and a yearling, after about half hour on the stand. Hour later, I was thinking about quitting, because it was getting warm fast. Saw some movement in the distance and reached for the binoc's to determine if it was a legal buck. (Here in Arkansas, there is a 3 point rule in effect.)

The way he was heading, it seemed that he wasn't going to be in bow range so I grunted. No reaction on his part so I grunted again. Finally he angled enough so the he might just present me with a shot. The problem was he was going to pass directly behind me. Had to slightly lean out of tree to make the shot, all the while hoping that the arrow wouldn't be deflected by an errant twig.

I dug my cell out of my pocket and called Mrs. Winelover to get her tracking gear together. (She actually enjoys this aspect more than hunting) Half hour later she helped me find the deer, field dress and haul it out of the woods. Now she gets to fry it up in the pan![smilie=w:

Winelover

OnHoPr
11-03-2012, 08:59 AM
I hope that is the first of many. Very nice.

10x
11-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Congratulations.

Now the tough question, where did you find the mold to cast the arrow???

winelover
11-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Congratulations.

Now the tough question, where did you find the mold to cast the arrow???

Casting is one of my many addictions. However, I do fletch my own arrows (4"/4 fletch)

Broadhead was a 100 grain 3 blade Thunderhead. Rifle seasons coming up and I will use cast in my 44's.

Winelover

Hamish
11-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Very nice. On your own ground even better. Bow season is perfect for setting up for rifle season.

waksupi
11-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Atta boy!

cbrick
11-16-2012, 08:26 PM
Meat in the freezer for Winelover. I'm commin for dinner.

Now get one with cast handgun. :mrgreen:

Rick