PDA

View Full Version : C - H C Press

Ben
11-02-2012, 04:51 PM
I bought my friend Bryan ( who I'm trying to help get started reloading) an old ( but very nice ) C - H brand,
C Press.

It needed some rust removal , degreasing, a good general
internal and external cleaning and re spraying with enamel.

That part is done. Runs smooth as silk now. Ready to GO ! !

I need a primer catcher, anyone have one that will work with this press ?
I'm wondering if a Lyman Spartan primer catcher would work ? It looks to me like it would.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/006-28.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/003-37.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/001-40.jpg

LUBEDUDE
11-03-2012, 02:27 AM
Looks very nice and ready to go.

You are indeed a very good friend!

TNsailorman
11-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I have an older C-H model 205 "C" press that did not have the primer arm on it when I bought it. I tried a Lyman "C" type arm on it but it required quite a bit of filing down to get it thin enough to fit and then it broke the spring the first session I used it. Next, a member on this site sent me an RCBS complete set that required very little fitting to get it right and it is running like a charm now. C-H has what they call a "universal fit" but it is the above LYman and requires a lot if fitting. my experience, james

1hole
11-03-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't know what catcher might fit but few work very well anyway.

CH made very good stuff and C frame presses as a group aren't nearly as 'springy' as popular lore thinks.

All you're really gonna miss from a 'newer' press is the increased leverage of the compound toggle system and that's not massive. You WILL have to put some good bench strength under the press because that increased lever effort has be be supported somewhere.

Ben
11-03-2012, 03:59 PM
You're all correct with what you are saying.

I made him a primer catcher today
that seems to be 100% effective.

Certainly not a work of art, but it works ! !

See the You Tube video below of the primer catcher in action :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3FUcEk78No&feature=youtu.be

Ben

BAGTIC
11-03-2012, 04:43 PM
The first press I ever bought (1960) was a C-H C press. Still use it. Some of them were alloy.

TNsailorman
11-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Ben, good looking primer catcher. I just noticed that you asked a question about a primer catcher and I answered about a primer arm problem. That's what I get for being old and watching a football game and trying to play on the computer at the same time. Especially since my team was getting kicked from one end of the field to the other. I have the same problem as you with no primer catcher and your video just might give me the idea to make one this winter. james

Ben
11-03-2012, 08:23 PM
No problem at all James,

Best to all of you,

Ben

o6Patient
12-27-2012, 06:58 PM
I have an old ch press with all the priming stuff but I've never used a press for setting primers.
Always used a hand held; much better feel. The old guy that I learned from used a lee handheld one.
I ended up getting 2 at the time because one needed to be modified slightly for mags. So I always have
one set up for large and one for small primers.

seagiant
12-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Hi,
Nice job all the way around! There is not much in reloading that that press can't handle and probably do it better than most! The other part of the equation is a good sturdy bench!

starmac
12-28-2012, 03:30 AM
The first press I ever bought (1960) was a C-H C press. Still use it. Some of them were alloy.

I did not know some were alloy, until I bought one at an auction. I was surprised when I went over and picked it up. lol

o6Patient
12-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Hi,
Nice job all the way around! There is not much in reloading that that press can't handle and probably do it better than most! The other part of the equation is a good sturdy bench!

That's a meaty looking "C" press.

Beau Cassidy
12-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Seagiant I don't see any bolts around the base of that press. You got velcro holding that press down?