PDA

View Full Version : more load data...please

bigted
11-02-2012, 02:55 PM
i currently have a couple older leveraction rifles and want to play with unique loads but i first want to find the preassure of these loads before i load for em.

is there a table or formula for finding the preassure of any given load?

thankyou very much.

felix
11-02-2012, 02:58 PM
There are several software packages you can purchase that will satisfy your desire. Others on the board might help you with Unique loads, boolit weight selections, to limit the load to 15K cup which should be safe in any gun made after 1880 or so. BP loads of any sort seldom go over 15K at max peak. ... felix

bigted
11-02-2012, 03:29 PM
cool...the primary rifle is a marlin '93' that was manufactured in 1897...this is a round barrel with "SPECIAL SMOKLESS STEEL" under the left side along and under the rear sight. this rifle seems to be in very good shape but i will not load anything in this 38-55 that will even come close to harming this spiffy old rifle. im sure that the 10 grain unique under a...spit...jakit...spit hornaday 220 gr bullet. i just wanna shoot it after i thouroghly clean the strong rifling and examine it for pits. if too rough ill try some paperpatched rcbs 250 gr boolits to shine it up.

but i wanna be sure of the loads well before i load and shoot the first load thru this old war-horse.

do these computer programs reveal the info i am searching for? also will they calculate blackpowder loads and maybe smokless/blackpowder duplex loads?

runfiverun
11-02-2012, 07:26 PM
a 375 jaxketed bullet might just drop down the bbl of your 38-55 without touching the rifling.
many of those older rifles had 380-382 diameter bbl's.
airc the twist rates were set-up for heavier boolits too 1-12 maybe 1-16 or sumthin like that.

bigted
11-02-2012, 09:16 PM
the diameter of the barrel prohibits a jakit bullet from falling even part way so maybe i lucked out...at least at the muzzle.

the load im most curious about is the 10 or 10.5 grain unique load and the acompaning preassures.