PDA

View Full Version : Questions on top punches

FergusonTO35
11-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Eventually I'm going to end up with a lube sizer for my boolits, probably Lyman or RCBS. I'm wondering just how many top punches I will actually need? I cast .30 caliber rifle, .32 handgun, .38/.357, and .45 caliber rifle. All of my molds are of flat nose design by choice, mostly of Lee manufacture. It seems to me that I could get away with three punches: one for .30 and .32, one for .38/.357, and one for the .45. I see that this is the approach taken by one of the custom mold makers, Accurate I think. Any advice out there?

MT Chambers
11-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Each bullet should have a unique top punch to match the bullet, flat punch may work but can introduce bullet to the die inconsistently (alignment). Your plan will alter the front of your bullets, more so with soft bullets, there is some overlap with punches. I have about 50 diff. top punches but have mostly stopped buying them as I now use mostly STAR sizers.

arkypete
11-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Ferguson

I use the same nose punch for all of my flat nosed bullets. With my bullets, very little of the nose portion goes completely into the die, there's usually 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the die. I allow the nose punch to have a bit wiggle room so that the bullet and die can self aline. I use a bit of sticky LBT Blue to hold the nose punch in the ram.
All of my SWC nose punches have been drilled out so that the lip of the nose punch rest on the shoulder of the SWC.

Jim

FergusonTO35
11-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks guys. Other than studying nose profiles and making an educated guess, is there any way to know for sure which top punch will work with a given Lee bullet?

theperfessor
11-02-2012, 05:56 PM
See my sig line.

FergusonTO35
11-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Will do, sir!! If I give you my Lee mold numbers can you make them? Or, I could send you some boolits.

theperfessor
11-02-2012, 09:54 PM
Basically you make them yourself. (Edit to add: I also include an instruction sheet with every order.) Here is a link to a post by Recluse, a member here, as he describes the process:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116445

I have the blanks in stock and feature two day shipping. All I need to know is what caliber you need and what luber (Lyman/RCBS or Saeco) you plan to use them in. I make all standard calibers.

Shipping is free in the USA, especially if it's just going a from IN to KY!

FergusonTO35
11-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Sounds easy enough. Still, do you even have to do that if all your bool it's have a big flat nose?

theperfessor
11-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Nope, a flat-all-the-way-across-the-front punch works fine for that. Have those also.

FergusonTO35
11-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks, I'll let you know when I'm ready to order them.

dragon813gt
11-09-2012, 11:43 AM
I can recommend theperfessor's top punches. After I finally got the right epoxy and decided to do everything in the heated house instead of the cold garage it worked perfectly. I lost count of how many bullets it's sized.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.