PDA

View Full Version : Portland, Oregon minivacation

longhorn
06-09-2007, 09:40 PM
My wife and I will be taking a short trip to Portland just to look around in a week or so. Flying in, no car, staying downtown. I've already read bunches on the 'net, anybody got any special suggestions for things to see/do? We'll traipse through as many of the gardens/parks as we can; anybody have favorite restaurants in the Pearl District or downtown? Thanks!

Larry Gibson
06-10-2007, 12:07 AM
My wife and I will be taking a short trip to Portland just to look around in a week or so. Flying in, no car, staying downtown. I've already read bunches on the 'net, anybody got any special suggestions for things to see/do? We'll traipse through as many of the gardens/parks as we can; anybody have favorite restaurants in the Pearl District or downtown? Thanks!

If you like book stores then try Powel's Book store. It is in the downtown area on Powel - certain amount of sense there. Anyways most anyone can give you directions. Suggest you pick up the map of the store when you go in as you will need it. Lots of good restuarants downtown - depends on what you want to eat. The Portland Zoo and OMSI (Oregon Science and Industry) aren't far and are always good for a day.

Larry Gibson

trickyasafox
06-10-2007, 01:34 PM
is your trip co-insides with the rose festival, watching the dragon boat races is fun.

longhorn
06-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks, guys. Powel's is now on the list; I think we're missing the rose festival.

Ivantherussian03
06-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Washington Park is nice, just west of Downtown: Forestry center, ZOO, Rose gardens, Japanese garden, Pitttock mansion too, and great views of the city. You could spend a day there easy.

OMSI is good too, just across the river in south east. It is a science place. They have the BLUEBACK a decomissioned submarine, and tons of other stuff.

Then if you have the time Multnamah Falls, or Crown Point offer, are maybe an hour east of town on 84.

Enjoy it. It is a great city.:-D

AKtinman
06-12-2007, 10:27 PM
I'll second the recommendation on Powell's. It is always a must stop for me when I go to visit my daughter and her family.

Can't make any recommendations about downtown Portland. Most of my experience is in nearby communities and the coast, Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach, and Manzanita. Too bad you won't have a car, as the coast is a beautiful place to visit.

Another incredible place to visit (needing a car) is the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, which features the Hughes Flying Boat, among other unique aircraft.

http://www.sprucegoose.org/

Enjoy your trip, Oregon is a beautiful state.

Regards

Ron

flhroy
06-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Longhorn you are going to love Portland there is so much to see and do. If you get the chance take a tour of the wineries in the North Willamette Valley. You will be treated to some spectacular views of the Coastal Mountains and the Willamette Valley while getting a taste of some premium wine.
Rent a car and drive up to Mount St. Helens. The devastation still visible 27 years after the eruption is unbelievable. About a hundred miles East of Portland is Goldendale, WA. There you’ll find a replica Stone Henge. It is a Memorial to the doughboys from Klckitat county who lost their lives fighting in that war to end all wars. It is also the first war Memorial built west of the Mississippi River. The drive out the Columbia River Gorge is spectacular as long as the wind ain’t blowing. If the wind is blowing be sure to stop in Hood River to watch the Wind Surfers.
On the Washington side of the River on the way back to Portland you’ll drive threw a town called Carson. Be sure you stop and treat yourself to a mineral bath. After your bath the attendant will wrap you in a hot sheet and lay you down on a cot. Then cover you with a wool blanket with only your face showing. The whole treatment last about 45 minutes or so and cost a whopping 10 bucks. When your finished I bet walking back to your car will be a chore as your whole body feels like a cooked noodle.
I guess you can see by now longhorn a mini vacation just ain’t gonna cut it. You haven’t even been to the coast yet. Lets see on the coast down by Reedsport I’ll guarantee you’ll see some of the biggest Elk you have ever seen. On the western side of the state we have the Roosevelt Elk. They don’t have the biggest rack but they can rival a Holstein dairy cow in size. Just North of Florence, OR is, the Sea lion Caves, they stink and they’re noisey but its kind of neat. And be sure to bring your binoculars. Even though it isn’t the migration season there are resident Gray Whales to be seen along the coast so be sure to stop on the headlands and take a look because you never know.

Take Care

Roy

longhorn
06-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. No car this trip, so I'll bet we may end up going back for some outside-the-city time. I'll report back.