PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying commercial

Elkins45
11-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Its gotten practically impossible to find lead scrap in any meaningful quantities around here and I fear it's only going to get worse. I'm seriously considering just biting the bullet (haha) and buying about a ton of commercial ingots so I can spend more time casting and shooting and less time surfing Craigslist and unsuccessfully calling scrap dealers.

I live in Kentucky and my web searches have turned up no lead sellers in the state. Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms? I have considered site sponsor RotoMetals, but since they are on the far coast I expect shipping would eat me up. I have located a nuclear lead seller in Oak Ridge Tennessee that also advertises lead ingots, counterweights, etc, and another dealer in St. Louis that appears to sell to the general public. Both locations are within a comfortable day's drive and I'm thinking of buying as much as my pickup will haul.

My question: are there any commercial lead sellers any of you are aware of in KY or other neighboring states where I might buy a quantity of ingots? Any info appreciated.

Lizard333
11-02-2012, 12:03 PM
What about buying lead from guys here? Most times you can get it for a buck a pound shipped to your door. Plus you know what your getting.

fredj338
11-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Roto ships many of it's products free, but their cost is prohibitive IMO. If I had to pay more than $1.50/# total for alloy, I would not cast my plinking bullets, not worth it. Yes it's getting tougher to buy alloy cheap or get it free but keep looking, it's there. I find 100# here & there. When I get a couple tons worth, I'll fee I have enough.

I'll Make Mine
11-02-2012, 08:50 PM
See if there's a D.H. Griffin installation near you -- the one in Greensboro, NC, despite having a sign up at their scale that says they don't accept any scrap lead or batteries for recycling, apparently sell scrap lead. Whether the price is good or not depends on information I don't have yet: the form the lead takes. Their price is high for wheel weights, unless they're pre-sorted enough to just dump in the pot, but it's low for ingots.

cbrick
11-03-2012, 06:38 AM
I'm seriously considering just biting the bullet (haha) and buying about a ton of commercial ingots.

I have considered site sponsor RotoMetals, but since they are on the far coast I expect shipping would eat me up.

You answered your own question. Roto Metals ships FREE any order over $99.00.

You didn't say what alloy your trying to find but as an example Roto Metals currently has 4-6% Sb alloy at $1.70 per pound SHIPPED for 1000 pounds, $1.66 per pound for 2000 pounds.

As a huge plus Roto Metals is virgin foundry alloy, not scrap so you know exactly what your getting.

Rick

Buzzard II
11-03-2012, 09:55 PM
I agree with cbrick. Get on Rotometals e-mail list, as they have specials from time to time, in addition to quantity discounts and free shipping. I buy from them for black powder cartridge bullet casting. I also buy scrap yard lead or scrounge scrap for the muzzleloader. Good shooting.
Bob

snowwolfe
11-06-2012, 03:21 AM
My life is so much easier since finding Rotometals and other companies that ship metal using USPS flat rate boxes.
Writing a check is easy compared to driving around for hours visiting places that may or may not have any scrap. Then the time to melt it down, propane, etc.

Moonman
11-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Some SERIOUS SHOOTERS use CERTIFIED COMMERCIAL ALLOYS only.

300winmag
11-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Some SERIOUS SHOOTERS use CERTIFIED COMMERCIAL ALLOYS only.
And shop at the mall for all the name brand goodies too!![smilie=l:

Lizard333
11-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Penny wise and dollar foolish. I guess some people feel better about certified alloys. Generic is good enough for me.

41mag
11-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Penny wise and dollar foolish. I guess some people feel better about certified alloys. Generic is good enough for me.

There is a lot of truth in this, but for some, me included, it is nice to know for certain or at least within a 95 or higher percent chance, when you blend up an alloy that works for what you need, then a year or so later, you can use the same recipe to blend up another batch.

While I haven't purchased but a small amount from Rotometals, what I DID buy is used more for a standard to compare to than anything else. I mainly use the large Iso cores as my main alloy and blend it to get what I need for anything else. At least I know within a certain amount of certainty that they are all for the most part the same alloy, and when I add tin, or pure, or whatever to it I get consistent results from one batch to the next.

If I were simply shooting one caliber or one specific type boolit this probably would not matter, but shooting several calibers, various type boolits, at wide velocity ranges from each, it does. Put simply straight WW don't cut it for all of my applications.

To the OP, I also agree to browse the Swappin and Sellin, and Vendor Sponsor's section as there are usually at least one or two folks selling know alloy for less than what you might find elsewhere and it is delivered to your door.