PDA

View Full Version : Rossi M92 .357 barrel length

Tazman1602
11-02-2012, 11:18 AM
OK guys, If you were to buy a new Rossi M92 in .357 mag, what would your choices be?
Stainless?
Blued/case hardened?

Barrel length in particular: 16, 20, or 24"?

I don't see much use in a 24" barrel for .357 but what do YOU say?

It *most likely* will ONLY see cast bullets...................

Art

fecmech
11-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I have a blue 20" carbine and 24" octagon in .357. For all around use the 20" is my favorite. It's light, handy and I can even carry it muzzle down holding the lever (just like the "Duke") and I'm only 5'7". I like the 24" for serious offhand shooting due to the extra weight and additional sight radius. It weighs about a pound more and that weight is all in the barrel. I like blued guns but that's just a personal preference. These things can be addictive so be careful!

Gray Fox
11-02-2012, 12:01 PM
My wife and I each have new Rossi model '92s in .357 with 16" tubes, one blue and the other stainless. Both are set up with the Rossi scout scope base for which they came pre-drilled, with 2x pistol scopes on them. Both like the Lee 158 grain RNFP wide meplat with a stiff charge of 2400 based on Paco Kelley's data. If I could see that far in the Georgia brush I would take a good shot on a southern whitetail to about 75 yards with either of them. I just got Ranch Dog's mold for his 175 grain, tumble lube gas check boolit, but only one of the rifles will feed it as it's longer than the Lee boolit. GF

northmn
11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Were I to get another one the 24" barrel would have a lot of attraction for me. Ballistically it would not make much difference but I have a 35 REm Marlin and a 38-55 CB both with 24" barrels and really like their shootability.

DP

BCRider
11-02-2012, 01:52 PM
For a pack around woods rifle the 16" model would be very nice. It's light and compact.

BUT..... if you have ANY thoughts of using it for any CAS matches or possibly selling it to someone who might want it for CAS events then stop and consider that the 16" only holds 9.5 rounds of .38Spl. So the 20 inch barrel might just be the happy middle ground that provides you with more options for later on.

When I got mine it was smooth enough to cycle with no clunks or hard spots. But it felt a little rough and gritty at the same time. Being a long time metalworking hobbyist I had no qualms about using the excellent slicking up information found on the web. I opened the gun up and lightly stoned off the crests of the tooling marks along with de-burring the parts. As well I first off clipped the springs as noted in the slicking up notes. But I later switched them with a "kit" of two springs that works out better.

The result is a VERY slick feeling lever cycle and a nice sharp trigger break point. So while some folks have been lucky enough to get great Rossis out of the box don't be too worried if the one you get is a little rough. Even if you don't have the ability and confidence to do the slicking up stuff yourself to get the basics done by a smith that works on cowboy action guns a lot would be no more than an hour and a half worth of time to open up the gun and do a general smoothening and deburring of the parts along with some minor fitting as it goes back together. And the rifle you get back would be a great feeling gun.

Tazman1602
11-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I was wobbling on having a nice compact woods rifle at 16" or having a 24" octagon barrel which has a large sight radius that I need for iron sights with my eyes.

The 24" octagon in case hardened reciever won out and should be here Tuesday. I know it's a long barrel but only adds about a pound and to tell the truth I will probably just cast bullets and hit steel targets with this one............

..........although I've been known to eat crow before....baked...fried......frickaseed...etc.

I really really really wanted a Marlin but DANG the prices and this one was much more reasonable. Unlike others here, I have had good luck with anything that has the.............OK I'm not going to say that..............

Only fear I have is my buddies are going to see it and want to buy it but I'm certain I can make a profit if it comes to that.....

Now off to Ricksgunz and Paco Kellys sites..........

Art

JohnnyFlake
11-02-2012, 04:06 PM
You won't ever be sorry with that 24" barrel, especially if you decide to hunt with it. Load up some 170gn or 180gn cast RNFP with a heavy dose of 2400 and you will see some amazing results.

Baja_Traveler
11-02-2012, 07:29 PM
The 24" is awesome, and I'm envious you found a case hardened one. I waited a whole year for one to show, and there were none in the country to be had, so I settled on a blued model worked over by Steve Young (stevesgunz.com). Mine has not only seen just cast boolits, but it also has never been fired with anything but black powder. It's a great rifle!

Tazman1602
11-02-2012, 07:34 PM
I can get any model you want. Most are in stock as we speak. Since I am not a vendor sponsor and most of you guys are way far away, if you'll PM me I can give you the name of the distributor that has them and you can go to your local gunshop......

Another reason I opted for the 24" barrel? 12 + 1 rounds...........but it isn't an assualt rifle because it has no pistol grip or removable high cap mag obummber............lalalalalala.

Art

Tazman1602
11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
You won't ever be sorry with that 24" barrel, especially if you decide to hunt with it. Load up some 170gn or 180gn cast RNFP with a heavy dose of 2400 and you will see some amazing results.

Time to talk to Tom at accurate molds again...............<grin>

fecmech
11-02-2012, 08:04 PM
170gn or 180gn cast RNFP with a heavy dose of 2400 and you will see some amazing results.
Time to talk to Tom at accurate molds again...............<grin>

Keep in mind the Rossi is a 30"twist. You might want to buy or scrounge some bullets in the 180 gr range to try before you ordered a custom mold. My Rossi's would not shoot the NOE 180 wfn at all but will shoot the Lyman 358429 very well at max loadings.

357shooter
11-02-2012, 08:09 PM
At less than full tilt they love 125-150 grain bullets. The Lee 125 is tough to beat. Longer and heavier hasn't worked as well in my SS 20 inch round barrel Rossi.

phonejack
11-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I. Have a 24" octagon stainless. Perfectly happy

Jeff H
11-03-2012, 08:09 PM
I have the 16" and love the compactness.
It is shorter than my Daisy Red Ryder BB gun.

Mine will take NINE rounds of .357 in the magazine without undue effort or fuss.
The 16" is advertized as holding eight, but mine will hold nine - .357s.