PDA

View Full Version : Air Operated RCBS Luber/Sizer

leadman
11-01-2012, 10:57 PM
My neck has gotten bad enough to give me problems after sizing boolits for only a half hour or so. This is why I tried to make one of my RCBS L/S air operated.

I think I have accomplished what I wanted to do. I bought one of the closeout cylinders from Grainger and 2 manual air valves. The fram was made from a scrap bed frame. The fittings for the copper line and the joining nut were bought from Home Depot. The cylinder was about $13 and the valves $34 each.

It is crude but it seems to work good. It actually pops the boolit out of the die so I just need a bin under the machine to catch them.
Takes #90 of air to size a 44 boolit with gas check.
After I use it and make any needed modifications I will paint it so it looks better.
I used 2 control valves so I can move the cylinder shaft by hand to line the nose punch up to the nose of the boolit. There was a single valve available that would allow me to do this but it was over $100.

leadman
11-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I used my new contraption yesterday to size about 600 40cal boolits. I had to plug the lower row of sizer die holes to prevent the lube from pushing the boolit up in the die when changing direction of boolit travel.
I also used my DVOM with temperature probe to find the best lube temperature. I used some lube to stick it to the outside of the sizer body near the die. The Carnuba Red likes about 95'.

Now I want to install a temp control on my Lyman lube heater.

Also been thinking about the Cabin Tree modification to the lube pressure screw.

L1A1Rocker
11-05-2012, 02:48 PM
That's very clever. Could you post a video of it operating?

rmatchell
11-05-2012, 03:28 PM
+1 on the video. It looks great

leadman
11-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I have the capability of taking video now with my new smartphone but I'm not smart enough to know what to do with it then.