PDA

View Full Version : This load ain't compressed

Jack Stanley
11-01-2012, 09:15 PM
I had an accurate load using Hercules 2400 that was compressed enough it would unseat the bullets in the 32-20 case . So I got to looking at it from another angle and started loading Accurate Arms number nine powder . The range was ten point three to eleven point seven grains . I stopped at eleven point five when the accuracy was good .

This morning I had a little time so I got the chronograph out and got an average of 1845 feet per second . The bullets is the LEE that weighs a hundred sixteen grains in my alloy and lubed in the bottom groove with LBT Blue . I didn'thave any more loads with 2400 so I can't compare velocity . But the recoil those had led me to believe the velocity was even higher for them .

Since the Browning is the only rifle I have chambered for this there won't be a mix up into something that will come apart when fired . It's not a Paco Kelly load but I would like to know the pressure of it . Measuring a fired case it doesn't show to be unsafe and small rifle primers are holding their own .

Jack

Nobade
11-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Quickload says 31,400 psi. That is 1,000 psi over 32-20's SAAMI max, but well within the design limits of that Browning '53.

A 100% load of 2400 gives WAY more pressure, like 46,500 psi. I'd stick with the #9 if it is shooting good for you.

williamwaco
11-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I have been experimenting with A No. 9 as a substitute for 2400 in the .357 magnum.
I have been very pleased with the accuracy.

**oneshot**
11-01-2012, 10:26 PM
I switched over to AA#9 from 2400 in my 41mag. I get similar velocity without as much concusion blast and fireball.

Jack Stanley
11-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Nobade , thank you very much . That is very helpful information . Perhaps with the next batch of new brass I can experiment for accuracy and perhaps lower the pressure a little . I would like to smack a couple varmints with this load and just use for a bit and see how useful it is to me .

Jack