PDA

View Full Version : 43 spanish case length

mdevlin53
11-01-2012, 07:01 PM
I reacently bought some 43 spanish cases. some were formed ad some were bertram basic(which i anealled and formed) I also have some cases that came formed and finished from Bertram. Question is the length for the case according to the Lee die data sheet is 2.255. The Bertram cases i bought new are 2.231-2.237, The fformed cases i bought are 2.267-2.2301 the basic come out to 2.277-2.315. Now the Argentine Remington Rolling block chambers them all and i am wondering what would be the best thing to do to make things mor consistant.
I am thinking that i should find the shortest case and make them all that length. That way i would get a consistant seating and while i dont put a heavy crimp on these the crimping action of the seating die would be the same for every case. Am I on the right track here?
Thanks for your advice

Lead pot
11-01-2012, 07:49 PM
The .43 Spanish case will run from 1 7/8" to 2.25". the Carbines ran a little shorter then the rifles for some reason.
If you have short cases I would anneal them and put a light crimp on them and shoot them using black powder. They will pull the necks. Just dont over do the crimp or you will seperate the case at the shoulders.
I would make a cast and measure the chamber and trim the fired cases to the cast measurement.
It dos not hurt to fire a short case in the long tapered throat the old rifles have as long as the case shoulders are formed to the chamber.

I would check here and see if they are filling orders yet. Jamison just changed hands and they might be up and running again.
If they dont have the Spanish brass yet the .44-77 or the .44-90 BN brass will work after you shorten the case and run it through your dies.

http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/jain.html

mdevlin53
11-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Having slept on this problem i think i am going to measure the cases in each batch and find the shortest length, I will trim each batch that lenght. then i will have to load each batch with an adjustment to the seating die to get a consistant OAL and crimp. Then i will shoot them and see if there is any benifit to the longer case lengths, I can always trim the longer batches later but cant put back any if i trim them all to the shortest batch length. May take some time but this way i wont do anything that can't be undone.