PDA

View Full Version : I like trailboss

nekshot
11-01-2012, 05:52 PM
This year I really started using this stuff for reduced loads. The more I use it the better it looks to me. You don't have to worry about double charges, you can slow down till the boolit doesn't exit and add a grain for your bottom, it gets real quiet this slow, and I believe the cost works out the same as the fast powders in the long run. I printed off some hodgen data and they are showing it for more cartridges now. Thanks to whoever came up with this powder!

.22-10-45
11-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Hello, nekshot. I too have come to like IMR TrailBoss powder. Your comment.."Thanks to whoever came up with this powder". You'll have to go back alot further than the IMR powder company to find the answer!
In 1970, the Michigan highway dept. was building I475 thru Flint. Alot of old homes of over 100years were being demolished in the right of way.
My dad, being self employed..and semi-retired at this time..and also being an inveterate scrounger, spent alot of time salvaging copper, brass..and to me the most valuable material..old lead plumbing pipe! I used to use this soft lead to run ball for my Navy Arms .36 percussion revolver.
One day he came home with a tattered cardboard box filled with old timey looking shells. They had practically no neck..and a many grooved lead pointed bullet was seated in neck.
At the time I didn't know what a .32-40 Winchester was., nor the Ideal #319052.
Pulling a bullet out with my fingers, I up-ended the case expecting to see black powder grains..instead what came out was a greyish off-white collored doughnut shaped powder. The grains were fairly thick with a small hole in center.
I thought at the time it must be some of the early semi-somkeless powder..Lessmoke or Lightening..as I poured it back into the case & replaced bullet.
I remember asking Dad if he had seen any bullet moulds, or re-loading tools? He hadn't. I then thought there might be a nice old rifle hidden betweeen the walls..I wanted to skip school and help him look..he said no!
I forgot about those old shells..until I happened to open my first can of IMR TrailBoss..looking at those greyish doughnut shaped grains..suddenly it was 1970 again!
I called Hodgdon..and told them the above story..I then asked the technition...You guys didn't re-introduce the old Lightning powder did you?
There was a very long silence...so long I thought he had rung off..then he replied in a drawn out "maybe"! But..he quickly added..."Ours is better!"
Well isn't this something! I told him..100 years later we come full circle!

TheGrimReaper
11-02-2012, 01:15 PM
I too LOVE Trailboss. Use it in 32 H&R mag to 45-70.

Sakdog
11-05-2012, 08:42 PM
This post was good cause for me to look into trailboss. I like IMR and I think I am going to look more into their powders for my everyday use. I like the Trailboss concept and I think I'm at least going to give it a shot, but I have a couple questions

I have read and am wondering if anyone has experienced any major issues using the lee auto disk pro and this powder? I see that you really cant go over 7.2 gn IIRC without having to double disk it. I mainly plan on using the stuff for .38spl/.357/.44sp/mag.

Any other general thoughts/opinions on the stuff?

I really like the safety factor and that the mfg. gives you this blanket statement of how to develop a load for something else by filling the case to the bullets base, weighing it and using 70% of that number as your starting load.... but if you just leave it full to the bullets base "this is your max load and you'll be ok" . That is really cool.

I am not so fond of the fact that this stuff is sold @ 9 ounces for a small container and 5 lbs for a "keg" prices from what I see for this. the prices seem commensurate with the other low volume powders but you wind up with less trailboss.

I am wondering if it is worth bothering when I could use something else that uses low charge weights like Bullseye, 700x, or Clays.

nekshot
11-06-2012, 10:04 AM
This is why I love this stuff I simply scoop the amount into pistol cases I soldered handles on. I measure with scale until I have the load I want than I scoop It accordingly. No worries about overloads. I have been using this for a couple years and I cannot say it is more expensive. But its all about what floats your boat! nekshot

thegatman
11-06-2012, 10:28 AM
I use Trailboss for 45-70 and 45 Colt. It is a great powder.

jmort
11-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I have some but never cracked open the tiny "keg". I too thought that Trail Boss was way too expensive, but it was pointed out to me that it is so "fluffy" so that it don't take much, weight wise, to fill up the case, so in the end it all works out. I think that is correct the more I thought about it and it is time to break open the "keg"

1Shirt
11-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Time will tell! If it is around 20 years from now, demand will declare it to be good. If it is not around in 20 years, it will go the way of some other powders that are no longer around.
1shirt!

PAT303
11-08-2012, 09:11 AM
It will be around for a long time,as long as people shoot western action there will be TB. Pat

1Shirt
11-08-2012, 10:16 AM
You are probably right Pat!
1Shirt!

jburris2001
12-07-2012, 11:13 PM
my first round i loaded was for 500 s&w using trailboss. loved it. Have since got more familar with everything and moved up to h110 and am getting ready to start reloading for 9mm. Trailboss is a great powder to start reloading with.

JLDickmon
12-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Time will tell! If it is around 20 years from now, demand will declare it to be good. If it is not around in 20 years, it will go the way of some other powders that are no longer around.
1shirt!

Herco.. pB... HS6 & HS7... I never see these on shelves anymore, and data is getting sparse..

I dunno. They may come up with something more better, but it's kinda hard to beat Trailboss for the intended use, which is moderate velocity loads easy on some of these vintage rifles & pistols you see SASS/CAS shooters using..

zuke
12-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I use 16-18 grain's of Trail Boss ubder a 330 PP boolit. Great to shoot all day

DeanWinchester
12-08-2012, 10:49 AM
I've been seriously considering trail boss for 6.5x55 using a 140g gas check.
Anyone ever tried? Be nice to get an opinion before I buy it.

Sorry to hijack.

rexherring
12-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I've used it in my .30-30 IMP, .45 colt and acp, .38 special and love the stuff for low recoil loads. Just don't compress it as funny things can happen.

sthwestvictoria
12-09-2012, 06:16 AM
I've been seriously considering trail boss for 6.5x55 using a 140g gas check.
Anyone ever tried? Be nice to get an opinion before I buy it.

I've used it in .243 with jacketed. At 50metres with 12 grains of TB was 2 inches below the 33.5grains of AR2208(varget) but the same narrow little group. I don't cast for .243 so haven't tried it. My friend as a .270 and we do have an old single cavity Lee mold for this. Have not been able to get a good group for this yet. The caveats being we don't have any GC for it.

enfield
12-09-2012, 07:53 AM
I was surprised how much better my old 38-55's shot with 6 to 7 grains of TB compared to 4759 or unique and some other powders. someone here suggested the quick presure "bumps" the boolit like black powder, I think theyre right. the black powder loads were shooting about the same as TB ( just harder to clean the pitted barrels :)

Ten X
12-11-2012, 10:13 AM
:thumbup:

Hickory
12-11-2012, 10:23 AM
I have a 9 oz can in my shop,
I need to check it out and see how it works.

thegatman
12-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Trailboss works great for me in low power 308 and 45-70. I also use it to fill that big case 45Colt for some nice plinking loads. You fill the case, weigh it, take 70% and you are good to go.

Hang Fire
12-11-2012, 04:22 PM
This is why I love this stuff I simply scoop the amount into pistol cases I soldered handles on. I measure with scale until I have the load I want than I scoop It accordingly. No worries about overloads. I have been using this for a couple years and I cannot say it is more expensive. But its all about what floats your boat! nekshot

It sure works great in my .45 Colt conversion cylinder for 1858 Remmy.

GH1
12-11-2012, 08:45 PM
T.B is great stuff. I've used it successfully in .38 spcl, 45 Colt, 500 Wyo Express, and .45-70.
GH1