PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits, Black Powder and Buffalo

Big Goose
11-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Greetings all,
new to this forum, bot long time boolit caster and black powder addict. Thought maybe some might enjoy this...
Our hunt took place in north central Montana last Thursday , October 25.
It was a bit on the cold side and windy--- 30 mph +. The buffalo ( a herd of some 450 animals on nearly 50,000 acres) were really skittish. Once we loacated the herd- which took most of the day- were hunkered down against a big rock on the edge of a coulee where it looked like they were drifting towards. The lead cow, the one that Colton shot with the Spencer, winded us and spooked at a sort of rocking horse gallop. She was about 60 yards in front of us and a bit uphill, and distanced herself some 20 yards in front of the herd and had no calf with her. I leveled my 1859 Sharps and tucked the blade front sight just ahead of her shoulder andasked Colton if he was ready to take the lead cow. His answer was a sharp boom from the Spencer and her hide pukered for an instant right where iI had been aiming. Her stride increased and at about 110 yards the Spencer spoke again. This time she stumbled and it was obvious the Colton had broken her off side leg just below the shoulder. She slowed and was lost in the sea of buffalo that hurtled past us.
The buffalo were some 10 or more animals deep and offered no chance for a shot for me... finally just at the tail end of the herd a lone cow came sprinting to catch her companions. Same distance maybe 60 yards and she was moving right along. Again I nestled the front bade into the rear notch and swung across her chest ... when the sights crossed in front of her shoulder I squeezed the trigger. KERBOOM --- the 565 grain slug propelled by 95 grains of very old Curtiss & Harvey 3F blackpowder ignited by an RWS musket cap slammed into her ribs just behind her shoulder.
I quickly dropped the lever and stuffed in another paper cartridge and fumbled another cap on the nipple. Again, she was enveloped in the herd, then as the herd steadily loped away, the two cows and a young bull and yearling heifer stood by themselves some 180 yards away. I couldn't tell at that point that one of the cows was the one that I had mortally hit, but Colton's was obvious with a broken shoulder.
He held high on her hump and touched off annother shot. We could plainly hear the slap of the 385 grain bullet hit her once again in the chest.... she disappeared over the edge of the coullee and the othe three followed.
It took us a while to get into position on the edge of the coullee where Colton's cow was down, At that point we could also see that the other cow was the one I had shot, though she spooked not offering a good angle for a shot. Colton's cow struggled to her feet and her put her down for keeps.
I had to circle around the bend of the coullee to get another shot at my cow where she had bedded down. She did get up as soon as I poked my head over the edge and I put anouther bullet into her--- quartering away at about 80 yards. She went down as well. We smoked a pipe of kinnikinnik with our Assinaboine guide and placed a final offering of prairie grass and sage for our buffaloes.
The Spencer load was 37 grains of C&H 3f and 385 grain bullet from a mold that I have shortened. Starline brass and Winchester LR primers.This load shoots remarkably well in this AS carbine regularly grouping 3 " or so at 100 yards. We recovered only 2 of the bullets( one from the spine shot and one from the long shot, both against the hide on the far side) the other two passed through. Colton's first shot was excellent, penetrating both lungs and actually creasing the back side of her heart. Second and third shots were equally as fatal and of course the spine shot anchored her. It says a lot about the effectivness of a heavy bullet at rather modest velocities, as long as your range is reasonable. And did he ever make that Spencer sing.... his first two shots were remarkably fast!!
The Sharps as I mentioned earlier was loaded with paper cartridges stuffed with 95 grs. C&H 3f and that big .54, 565 grain slug . I did recover the second bullet penetrated over 3 feet of bison hide, bone and muscle and was nearly through the hide on the far side. As with Colton's both shots were fatal therough the lights. It was an awesome hunt and as fine a time a man can have with his son.
We are blessed.... I just about have all of the meat processed. just a couple hundred pounds of burger left to grind. should be all finished by the time our Minnesota deer season opens on Saturday!
Take care all, and good hunting,
Big Goose

Beerd
11-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Big Goose,

Welcome to Cast Boolits!
Good shooting & write up. You must be the one with the grey wiskers.

OnHoPr
11-01-2012, 03:31 PM
It must of been remarkable to prepare for that nostalgic hunt. It must of been very rewarding to anchor those beast in that fashion. Did your minds go back to the 1860's while you were hunting? There is mighty fine eating there too. Are you going to have coats made for your next bison hunt?:2gunsfiring_v1::2_high5:

smoked turkey
11-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Welcome Big Goose and Colton too if he is listening. Nice hunt and a very good write up about it. You and your son did it up right proper. I think it is wonderful to do that with your son. Your are blessed as you said. It sounds like a very good place to hunt buffalo. It also sounds like they can hold a lot of lead! Don't be a stranger here. There are a lot of real nice folks that call this place home. You will like it.

RugerFan
11-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Well that sure is awesome! Mighty fine rifles you fellas have there too.

x101airborne
11-02-2012, 09:22 AM
A big ole welcome from the Texas coast. Those are some great bison yall took and you really did it in a nostalgic fashion. I had to look up some of the words, but a great education and yall really look the part. Could we get a pic of your paper cartriges? I would like to see that for sure!

Want to trade some jerky?

LAH
11-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Great story.

JeffinNZ
11-02-2012, 03:37 PM
I think that rates as the best first post ever! Wonderful.

bootsnthejeep
11-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Gotta be right up there!

"Why do you shoot that old Spencer rifle, Joe?"
"Well, it's got 26 bullets. And I ain't a very good shot." - Crossfire Trail

Sounds like somebody's a better shot than Joe Gill, tho. Welcome aboard.

L Ross
11-02-2012, 08:20 PM
I am so glad Goose is posting here. He is just scratching the surface with his buffalo hunting stories. I have been with him for 23 head as near as I can remember. There have been Ballards, Sharps, Spencers, Winchesters, Remingtons, and others used. My favorite Goose story involves a 12 ga. smooth bore flinter and a long knife.
Goose, did "The pipe" get used?

Duke

Lefty SRH
11-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Nice hunt....I enjoy a little black powder but witha flint aswell....

Big Goose
11-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Thanks to all for the welcome,
I've been haunting this site for a very long time... enjoy the posts, good info and kindred spirit , as Duke put it to me.
yup, the pipe was smoked(that's a story you'll have to share) and I'll be sure to post about some more of our adventures...
Here's a couple images of the ammo that Colton and I used this hunt.
Tomorrow morning I'll be in the woods with my 1886 Winchester, 40-82- and of course 82 grains of that old Curtiss & Harvey 3f with a 270 grain cast boolit. Colton is taking out the Spencer and Zac will use his 76 in 45-75 WCF.

youngda9
11-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Awesome pictures and story. Thanks for sharing.

Roundnoser
11-04-2012, 10:54 AM
That is awesome. Congrats to you fellas. I'd love to hunt buffalo just once in my life. Being from Pa., it would take some planning and alot of cash. I would even buy (or borrow) a 45-70 so I could experience the hunt just a little bit like you guys did! -- I am envious.

Oh, I almost forgot...Those are going to be really good eating too. I'd love to have some of in my freezer!

Big Goose
11-04-2012, 12:21 PM
The buffalo are indeed fine eating, more appealing to my taste than most any beef. Though my good wife says that there is absolutely no difference in the buffalo and our Scottish Highland beef.
anyways , here's a picture of the recovered bullets from our buffaloes... The big Sharps bullet didn't strike any bone and though it's a little wonky lookin' it still weighs exactly the same as the unfired ones.
The two Spencer bullets did smash through some bone. the really smushed one went thrhough the spine and shoulder blade on the off side. the other one broke rib bones on both sides.
Both the Spencer and Sharps bullets were cast from 20-1 alloy.
Big Goose

Aaron
11-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Who was the guide and how does one book a hunt?

Thanks

Aaron

gkainz
11-04-2012, 04:55 PM
I put one in the freezer every year but "the hunt" consist of driving out to my buddy's ranch and tell him "I'll take that one." As I point to one as they come trotting up for some range cake. :)

I've been thinking about doing an actual hunt one of these days.

TXGunNut
11-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Welcome and thanks for sharing a great hunting story. Nicely done!
Looking forward to hearing more about those rifles and loads.

JDL
11-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Awesome, simply awesome!! I would have thought that a 20-1 alloy would've deformed more in such a heavy creature.
Do you use combustible cartridge paper? I used to when I shot a percussion Sharps .54 carbine but, then I went crazy and traded it for a .45-70.:-(
Welcome Big Goose and I'm waiting to hear more stories.

Marlin Junky
11-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Tomorrow morning I'll be in the woods with my 1886 Winchester, 40-82- and of course 82 grains of that old Curtiss & Harvey 3f with a 270 grain cast boolit. Colton is taking out the Spencer and Zac will use his 76 in 45-75 WCF.

I'm getting the impression your guns are original 19th century items... is that a fact?

MJ

429421Cowboy
11-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Fort Belknap Reservation i am assuming?

Very nice writeup and pictures on a fine father and son hunt, you cannot replace those memories.
I hope to someday take a buffalo of my own someday with cast, that's a trip back in time!

BLACK3
11-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Very very fine story. I just widh I could have been there just to watch.

Big Goose
11-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Hope you all dont mind a couple more pics.
yup, Ft. Belknap, and yes as well for deer hunting --my .40-82 is a 1895 vintage 1886 Winchester. The Spencer Colton is using is a reproduction Model 1865 56-50 and Zac's 76 is a Chapparel repro. I do have an original 1860 Spencer Army infantry model in 56-56.(used it to take a buffalo back in 2002, and a couple of deer here in MN.)
I rather like this pic of colton when we first reached his buffalo...